S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Did Honda Street Race My SC

Old 08-16-2002, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a health care professional I get very annoyed when parents want to know about every little detail of what I am doing to their kids. I am sure a mechanic feels the same when you stick your head in his business every second to check on your car. On the other hand, I don't think that mechanics are held to the same code of ethics as doctors.

So: I think it's the issue of ethics and professionalism. Not an issue of when and how the dealer needs to do what. Dealers can test drive all they want, but they have to specifically ask for it and justify it before hand. I think this particular dealer is out of line for taking your car for unnecessary test drive and more importantly for trying oh so poorly to justify why they did it, and for taking you for a fool by giving you stupid reasons, insulting your intelligence. I would be pissed.
Old 08-16-2002, 07:03 PM

Uh, I had a Ford F150 in 1989 that broke the distributor timing gear with 16,000 miles on it . Ford authorized replacement of the engine. The dealer kept it 16 days, I got it back with over 350 miles on it, smelling of liquor and with a big crease with red paint in it on the rear quarter panel. The service manager swore it had never left the shop. After I got home and went about detailing it, I found a book of matches from a bar/restaurant located 110 miles from the dealership, the same kind the service manager lit up with while I was listening to his denial. Yes cyberoth, I was pissed. Oh, and no offense to you, but when are physicians held to a code of ethics? I get more checks from government agencies when I install a septic system than you will in a lifetime of practice.
Old 08-16-2002, 07:32 PM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Professionalism is the key. If I am going to get my car serviced by the dealer, I expect them to do their job professionally. Even if it is only a Civic or a tricycle. If I am paying them to fix something, that's all I want them to do.
Old 08-16-2002, 07:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe you need this on your car...

http://www.baustnet.com/honda/mods/vtec/vtec2.htm
Old 08-16-2002, 07:54 PM

why does the movie "ferris Beullers day-off" come to mind after reading this post?

Garry im sorry to hear about your situation. i'll have to watch my car when its sc'ed too.
Old 08-16-2002, 08:45 PM

Gary,

You, I and everybody else here have a pretty good idea as to what happened
and what those 10 miles were used for.
Granted, it was "only" 10 miles and I'm sure your car will run just as smooth and
for just as long as if the joyride never happened. However, If it were me I would be one very pissed off
person! More that anything, I don't like being lied to. If you do nothing, they will
probably do it again to the next guy!
I ALWAYS note the mileage on any of my vehicles when I bring them in
for service. Maybe I'm just paranoid! Maybe not after hearing this!!

Just my two cents!!
Old 08-16-2002, 09:03 PM

that just plain sucks.im getting my service done on wednesday and now i will note the mileage. i would do what my customers do to me when my company screws something up(wireless service). just ask what they will do for you to make you happy and leave it open ended .i hate being lied in your face(well over the phone) and being showed no dignity. it just sucks when no one can be honest about it and fess up.

thomas
white/red '02
Old 08-16-2002, 09:40 PM

I have read the posts to this point and appreciate all the input. I thought I should put in a word or two here for clarification.

I did not stick my nose in the service bay. I left the car at seven in the morning and waited for their call at about noon. They were polite and so was I. I expected my plugs to be replaced.

My first concern was an employee asking me questions and seeming to be familiar with the performance of my car. He was not in the service bay. He was out front in casual dress. When I asked about the mileage I was disturbed by what the dealership owner said - "I don't know why they would drive your car 10.1 miles." Within ten minutes I was told 10 miles was Honda America policy and two different technicians had driven my car. And if they don't like to drive the cars, who forced two of them to drive mine?

Through all of this I was polite but expected someone to answer my questions. I did not ask to speak to the service technician or manager. The owner put them on the phone to me and they had conflicting stories.

On a later call the service manager (he called me) said they have seen SCed S2000's before, so it was not a big deal for them. I've never seen one of heard of one in my area. I didn't respond to that but I don't believe that is the case. Why would I be asked about something if it was so familiar? Oh well, it is possible.

And yes, it's only a car. And my home is only a home. My guitar is only a guitar. This computer is only a computer. My racquetball racquet is only a racquet. But I don't expect to pay people to abuse them. And yes, I did pay for this - it's included in the original cost of the car. Warranties are not free you know. Neither are recalls!

You will notice that I have not mentioned the dealers name. I want to be careful because I don't want to harm the reputation of a dealer who is actually trying to do professional work. At this point I'm thinking this dealer has mishandled my car and lied to me - but I'm not sure yet. I'm still listening.
Old 08-16-2002, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by Ldogdotcom
Okay, I know that I'm going to get flamed like hell for this but here we go...
Who cares? Yada yada yada. People should take a step back and evaluate things. If you're so worried about a vehicle, get rid of it.
So what you're basically saying is that if I worry about my girlfriend's well-being and how others treat her, I should dump her? You're saying, if I have a care in the world, I should stop caring and become a cold-hearted mass of nothingness?

It's a car. Treat it as such and you'll be much happier.
Can I ask you a something? What's your hobby, if you have one? (I'm serious)

Disclaimer: I don't have a girlfriend, it was just an example
Old 08-16-2002, 10:08 PM

Whether or not someone pokes their nose into a service bay is irrevelant. The car should not be driven without the owner's permission, period. The repairs should be performed correctly and on time for everyone, annoying or not, period.

Quick Reply: Did Honda Street Race My SC