S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Did they repainted it before selling it to me?

Old 01-02-2018, 09:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Did they repainted it before selling it to me?

Hi all, as the title says, Did they repainted it before selling it to me?

I recently purchased a 06 NFR with 38K miles on it from an independent dealership in San Francisco. When I saw the advertisement the car looked amazing and I had to get it so my brother (main decision maker in this purchase), my friend, and myself drove 5 hours to go get it. When we got there the car looked just like advertised, all the VINs matched and it engine felt strong. So we ended up getting it for $24K wish I believe is a great price for the year and milages on the car. So now I have been having it for a few months and after a full detailing wash, I started to notice that the paint started to chip-off (see the photos, Sorry I don't have more photos from when I got it besides the first one). So now I started to think and wonder if the dealership painted the car before selling it or did I do wrong by getting the car a full detail wash?

Before getting the car I did my researched and for the most part, the independent dealerships are sketchy and that is why I am thinking that maybe they repainted it?

Despite the paint, I am happy with the car and at least mechanical wise, it is strong and already took me back and forth from LA to Las Vegas.

Your thoughts?
Thank you all

ORIGINAL

Old 01-02-2018, 09:22 AM

Received 1,555 Likes on 924 Posts

It looks like there were a lot of little paint chips that were repaired for sale. They were not done well and the paint “popped” out of the cavities. Looked great when you first saw it but now, over time, it needs to be repaired. A complete re-paint would not look like that.
The good news is that with a paint pen or other, armed with a nice Porter Cable, along with some great “how to” threads in this site, you can do a decent repair that will look terrific. It will take some time, however.
The following users liked this post:
hectorteto (01-02-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 09:23 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

It looks like it was repainted before.
hectorteto (01-02-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 10:01 AM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

When a bad paint job starts to deteriorate, it peels. It looks very different from what your photos show. They did not repaint the car.

All those paint chips in the nose area are very typical of highway miles, and dings from stones and such thrown up from cars in front. The stuff on the bottom of front lip is typical curb damage from parking too close. The stuff on hood and door looks like something fell on the car.

Since none of that stuff was there when you got the car, amd only showed up after a detail, my bet is they used some red colored wax to fill in the spots, and just buffed it up nicely so it looked good. Once you detailed it, the wax washed away.

They sell colored wax that is meant to hide imperfections. I suspect the dealership is very skilled in applying it, along with some other tricks to hide such imperfections.

Caveat Emptor...
hectorteto (01-02-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 11:30 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

As said above, doesnt really look repainted but most of those are rock chips, and a decent amount of them at that. But you can most likely have a good detailer buff some of them out.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:30 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Front bumper and lip look like they have been repainted. Too much "orange peel" to be original plus they did a poor masking job on the rubber trim between the lip and the bumper.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you, everyone. Now, I will be using it as my daily and hopefully swapping it and let it rest every 2-3 weeks with my SI. So would you recommend on taking it to a place to get it fix? what if I do that but then since I will be using it as my daily the paint gets chip off again? Can you recommend a place or direct me to the right link for DIY?
Old 01-02-2018, 03:53 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
All those paint chips in the nose area are very typical of highway miles, and dings from stones and such thrown up from cars in front. The stuff on the bottom of front lip is typical curb damage from parking too close. The stuff on hood and door looks like something fell on the car.
I dunno, my 170k mile track car doesn't even look like that. Minus the couple spots of the S2000 that get absolutely destroyed by a car that sees the level of grit a track car does, like the little body line at the front of the door.
I don't buy it being a 40k mile car. I do think you're right about the colored wax.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only way to know for sure whether a car has been repainted is by measuring the paint using a paint depth gauge.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:31 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

I'm looking at area detailed in the sixth photo — the close up shot of the area where the front quarter panel, the door and the A-pillar all meet on the drivers side just in front of the side view mirror. Is the white surface on the inside leading edge of the door just dried wax residue that you've left behind?

Quick Reply: Did they repainted it before selling it to me?