S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Difficulty level of wrenching

Old 03-28-2018, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difficulty level of wrenching

Hi,

I am looking into getting an s2000 as a fun car, and wanted to know how beginner friendly the car is mechanically. My experience working on cars starts and ends with an oil change. The S2000 is the sickest car out there so id be getting it either way, and working on it.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:11 PM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

I would say compared to most cars the s2000 is relatively easy to work on.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:49 AM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

I'm with riceball777 on the relative ease. I've been turning a wrench on the S2000 for 18+ years now and have been turning a wrench on cars since 1958 (Yea, I'm old.). Everything is straight forward and there is nothing that is outrageously difficult at the end of the day.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:07 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I agree it is straight forward unless you are getting into engine rebuilds - that sort of work is not straight forward on this car.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:11 AM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

I cut my teeth on an old mazda, then another old mazda, then the 2000 civic. All in all, provided you have proper torque wrenches and a proper service manual, then the s2000 is pretty typical to work on. Not too tough over all for a mechanically minded owner.
darcy
Old 03-29-2018, 05:11 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

S2K is the easiest car to work on I've ever owned. Compared to my previous platforms (N54 BMW, DISI Mazdaspeed, Etc) it is childs play. If this is your first car you're going to be wrenching on, it will fit you well.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:58 AM

Received 1,563 Likes on 929 Posts

I agree the S is one of the easiest to work on. The engine is straight so you don't have to be a contortionist to get at the back side of the engine. My only complaint is you have to be careful not to damage the fender when leaning over. The only car (of 24 I have owned) that was easier was my first, a 1964 Dodge Coronet 440 with 3 on the tree. Huge engine bay with lots of space and nothing else but basic engine. No worries damaging that fender!
The following users liked this post:
HawkeyeGeoff (03-29-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 08:37 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

Not bad at all really, especially compared to FWD cars. One tip, either get some hood props that allow the hood to open fully vertical, or make a place to hook a bungee on your garage ceiling so you can hang the front of the hood from it so it holds it full vertical. With the engine being right against the firewall, with the stock hood prop it gets in the way. Having it opened further makes things very easy.

Also, dont lean on the fenders... they will bend or even crease if you are not careful. So you end up bent over without the fender to lean on sometimes. But its not that bad really.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:02 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
Not bad at all really, especially compared to FWD cars. One tip, either get some hood props that allow the hood to open fully vertical, or make a place to hook a bungee on your garage ceiling so you can hang the front of the hood from it so it holds it full vertical. With the engine being right against the firewall, with the stock hood prop it gets in the way. Having it opened further makes things very easy.

Also, dont lean on the fenders... they will bend or even crease if you are not careful. So you end up bent over without the fender to lean on sometimes. But its not that bad really.
FYI the oem hood prop can be removed and repositioned to open the hood full vertical (there is a specific spot for meant for it to be used on the passenger side)
Old 03-30-2018, 06:08 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

Not only is it easy to work on, its easy to see what is what. Tha means when you do work on something, you can see what it is, what it does, how it relates to everything else as a whole.

So you end up learning more, easier, than on other platforms where you might complete a task, but not fully understand it yet.

You can see the full path air goes in to intake, through throttle body, into intake, each cylinders intake runner, and into engine, then see the header, and each cylinders exhaut exit. You can see the serpentine belt. See the alternator. See the whooe valve cover. See the battery.

Not many cars these days you can day that about.

If you remove the air filter box, which is like three screws and a hose, you can see a whole lot more of the engine.

Quick Reply: Difficulty level of wrenching