S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Do any of you regret buying an S2000 with high mileage?

Old 09-21-2018, 07:59 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by common reactor
Thanks for the replies everyone. The last two were awesome.

I definitely wouldn't buy a car that's been neglected, or at least I'd try not to. I'm not looking to spend $10,000 or something, my budget is higher so I hope I can find one with significantly less than 100,000 miles but if I can't it's good to know how reliable they are.

Realistically I'd probably put 200-300 miles per month on the car so I wouldn't rack up mileage that quickly either.
You will be able to find one if you are patient. As stated, if you have a price point in mind and have patience, a well taken care of example will show up at some point. You just have to be willing to make sacrifices and figure out what you can do yourself to bring the car up to your standards but also factoring in the cost to do so. It's a balance.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:38 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
Personally I would consider even 50 million miles high mileage.
"would" or "wouldn't"
Old 09-21-2018, 10:40 AM

I've had decent luck on craigslist.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:04 PM
Jub

Received 386 Likes on 309 Posts

I've owned an AP1 and AP2, each with about 86k miles. I've had to do all the general S2k stuff that I think has more to do with PO maintenance and age than mileage. I've done/will do top maintenance/prevention, axle nut tightening, spark plugs, a coil pack, serpentine belt/tensioner replacement, battery, brake replacement, tires, trunk leak sealing, valve adjustment, tct preventative replacement. I think that I'd be doing all/most of these things just based on age anyways. I have been up to 112k miles on my AP1 (sold) and haven't had my AP2 for too long but have not had any issues that I'd consider mileage related aside from brakes.

Long story short, no, I do not regret my "High mileage cars". Based on prices of used cars, I thought that the 70-100k mileage cars provided the best value for me. As long as they've been taken care of and not in a serious accident, I don't expect to have major issues.There is a slightly higher chance of having bushings/mounts/etc. wear out quicker then a lower mileage car but rubber degrades over time anyways. That barn find vehicle is going to have dried out rubber that's just waiting to break anyways. I also autocross and would like to eventually track my car. I wanted one that would not cost me a ton to run but also understand that I'm going to be hard on components anyways and will probably be replacing things regardless. I don't expect to need engine/transmission replacements or anything but i'm going to be harder on suspension components, brakes, tires, etc. With current pricing, I do not see the point of paying the premium of a sub 50k mile car unless price is not a big factor or it will primarily sit in a garage.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:18 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

OP, Your question is solid. I traded my 30k mile S2000 for a NSX almost three years ago. As much as I love my NSX, I’m still kicking myself over trading out a low mileage S in excellent condition. I’d like to add a S2000 back to the stable, perhaps to use as a daily driver. I am not averse to buying a 100k mile car and driving the shiz out of it. Hondas are all about the manitenance. If you take care of it, it will take care of you. If I find the right car at the right price, I plan to jump on one.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:06 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I got my 08 LBP for 14k with 116xxx on it. I'm about to roll over 160k in a week or two as its my daily driver. I've only had minor things happen. Replaced the battery 2 times, replace the rad fans when one stopped working, replaced the soft top and brakes/ pads. I just do regular oil changes with Royal Purple 10w30 every 5k. I hit 8k multiple times a day and it loves it. My car was 100% stock when I got it too. If you can find one close to stock that hasn't been modified you really shouldn't have issue with it unless its been abused. My goal is to get 200k atleast
Old 09-23-2018, 04:50 AM

Just keep in mind that some repairs can be quite expensive, especially if you are not doing the work yourself. A new top for example can be a very large expense. You have to figure that into your decision about price.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jub
Based on prices of used cars, I thought that the 70-100k mileage cars provided the best value for me. As long as they've been taken care of and not in a serious accident, I don't expect to have major issues.There is a slightly higher chance of having bushings/mounts/etc. wear out quicker then a lower mileage car but rubber degrades over time anyways. That barn find vehicle is going to have dried out rubber that's just waiting to break anyways. I also autocross and would like to eventually track my car. I wanted one that would not cost me a ton to run but also understand that I'm going to be hard on components anyways and will probably be replacing things regardless. I don't expect to need engine/transmission replacements or anything but i'm going to be harder on suspension components, brakes, tires, etc. With current pricing, I do not see the point of paying the premium of a sub 50k mile car unless price is not a big factor or it will primarily sit in a garage.
This is my train of thought right now as well. I would love to buy an S with 30,000 miles or something on it but it isn't feasible with the market the way it is. I also really want an AP2. You have to make a sacrifice somewhere and I think mine is going to be with mileage.

The following users liked this post:
Ap1ruben (12-14-2019)
Old 09-24-2018, 07:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
Just keep in mind that some repairs can be quite expensive, especially if you are not doing the work yourself. A new top for example can be a very large expense. You have to figure that into your decision about price.
I have thought of this, and that's the main reason why I have some hesitance about buying a car with close to 100,000 miles. This is just me doing research well before I'm actually looking to buy a car, so I don't know exactly what I'll find next year when the time comes but this is a good point.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

'00 with 238k+ on the clock so far. Bought it last year with 231k. Not a single regret. These are Honda reliable through and through.
The following 3 users liked this post by happyhelix:
LagunaPearlAP2 (10-15-2018), rick1033 (05-17-2020), StellaRed (12-16-2020)

Quick Reply: Do any of you regret buying an S2000 with high mileage?