S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Do car alarms deter thieves?

Old 12-04-2004, 11:07 AM
SK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed a 2way paging alarm system on my car, I sure hope it will deter thieves. Sure makes me feel more secure though.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:02 PM

[QUOTE=fltsfshr,Dec 4 2004, 07:08 AM]IIf they want it and have a flat bed, there's not much you can do but if they're boositng it to start it there are lots of simple things like put an interuption switch with a hidden toggle to your fuel pump. That way even if they have a chip to replace yours, they aren't going anywhere unless they tow it.

I had a blazer once with twin fuel tanks. It had a manual valve under the seat to change the tanks.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:10 PM

A car alarm is worth it. It'll keep out a lot of amatures from touching your car.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:59 PM

hmm i dont have any alaram or wheel lock for my volks.....

gotta think about this thread seriously
Old 12-04-2004, 06:08 PM

Yup it's better to have an alarm than not, as well as wheel locks. But if a pro wants you ride he's gonna get.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:21 PM

It all depends on how good they are and how much they want the car. Basically, your goal is to make life a living hell for a car thief and hopefully he will move on. The only downside is that car alarms usually will not prevent vandalism.

I think the best choice would be to go with a few different methods of deterrent. A good alarm, a cutoff switch (fuel pump) and maybe a mechanical deterrent like "The Club".
Old 12-04-2004, 06:59 PM

My GSR was broken into twice, both times with the alarm blaring. I think the alarm does well to scare off punk kids (like the ones who tried to steal my wheels, got scared off by the alarm, and later came back to try again while the police and I were standing there). The second time, my car was parked in a public garage and was the victim of a "smash and grab" job. The alarm didn't seem to do much to deter the theives, since they had time to rifle through my entire car. I guess it all depends on how "professional" the theives are.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:36 PM

I think car alarms keep away vandals, but wont deter any real car theif trying to steal your car.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:39 PM

Since most insurance companies give a discount for a passive alarm system, there must be something to having an alarm in relation to theft deterrence.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:18 PM

Do car alarms deter thieves?

That depends on the thief and what they want.

I personally think they are a waste for the reason that:

1) If someone really wants your car or what's in it, they'l find a way to get it- car alarm or not.

2) Complete strangers are not likely to take notice if a car alarm is going off and they're even less likely to intervene.

I know some people like alarms with pager systems, but do you really want to confront a desperate and possibly armed thief or group of thieves? This summer a local high school kid was stabbed to death after a group of punks tried to steal his stereo equipment in his truck. I know it's not the "hard ass" response, but I'd rather not have to confront a thief. I don't want to risk getting killed or go to jail for assault or manslaughter over a car or what's inside it.

Quick Reply: Do car alarms deter thieves?