S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Do car alarms deter thieves?

Old 12-04-2004, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also don't really care for them. I do enjoy cars that have them tho, I love to ride by and rev to set 'em off. Sometimes folks have them so sensitive that I can just start the car w/o reving at all and they go off.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:57 AM

Received 2,691 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Good info...I would not have installed an alarm if it hadn't been on the car already. I guess I'm just a realist and believe that, as some have said, if someone wants the car badly enough, he's going to get it. So I don't spend much time worrying about it, other than taking some basic precautions when I'm out. And having a great insurance company.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:07 AM

I have a 2-way pager with as motion sensor, and I love it. I live in the city and have to park on the street. Every now and then the remote will page me that someone is close, and I run out there with my two sweet pit bulls. Needless to say, I've yet to have any break ins, and my roomate has had two with no alarm. I also think word might get around inthe car thief community which cars are easy pickin', and an S with a nice alarm is not.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:01 AM

I've had to park my S in a pretty shady area of SF for an entire day without being able to check on it (and I don't mean for lack of sunlight).

here's what I did:
1) put a steering wheel lock on.
2) turned on my alarm.
3) put on my locking car cover.

sure all these are defeatable.

but the locking car cover really disguises the shape of the car, so it attracts less attention. I HIGHLY recommend a thick, weatherproof locking car cover for this reason. thus, nobody keyed my car or slashed it's softtop. the alarm and the steering wheel lock make it just that much more they have to get past in order to steal it. the idea is to make them panic into thinking you hear your alarm and are thus running out and/or calling the cops. and the more time it takes for them to steal it, the more likely it is they'll get caught and thrown in pounded-in-the-ass prison.

anyway, after many hrs in this not-so-good neighborhood, my S was completely unmolested.

my next mod is a fuel cut-off switch. that's a great one that I've been meaning to do.

another highly recommended mod is Kodokan_4's McGard seat locks. our seats are popular to steal and ridiculous expensive to replace. cheap peace of mind.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:25 AM

Received 203 Likes on 140 Posts

I really like this idea. Has anyone in the forum tried to wire a kill switch to the s2k's fuel pump?
I had one installed on my RX-7 for like $30, with a little toggle switch wired to a hidden spot under the carpet behind the driver's seat. You couldn't see it, but you could flip it easily.

I also had a radar alarm system that would only go off if someone stuck their hands in the car, so I could leave my windows and sunroof open. No one ever molested or broke into my car while a friend's RX got broken into twice.

If anything, I need to get a kill switch on my S.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AJR SK,Dec 4 2004, 12:07 PM
I just installed a 2way paging alarm system on my car, I sure hope it will deter thieves. Sure makes me feel more secure though.
Can you hook those up to your existing alarm
Old 12-05-2004, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by jbotstein1,Dec 5 2004, 09:07 AM
I have a 2-way pager with as motion sensor, and I love it. I live in the city and have to park on the street. Every now and then the remote will page me that someone is close, and I run out there with my two sweet pit bulls. Needless to say, I've yet to have any break ins, and my roomate has had two with no alarm. I also think word might get around inthe car thief community which cars are easy pickin', and an S with a nice alarm is not.
What System do you have? Do you receive many false alarms?

Would like a two way system that would watch the interior when the top is down

Old 12-09-2004, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats the fine for stealing a car? Or how much time do you have to do for stealing a car??? If it depends on location, lets say in california???
Old 03-11-2010, 05:40 AM

good responses - being a new s2k owner im going with a two way pager alarm - brand? not to sure yet - but i know there's a sensor for the soft top too that im trying to get info on
Old 03-11-2010, 08:52 AM

msperky, we decided to revive a 6 year old thread cause we were curious if you alarm has been working find and if it was effective in detering thieves.

Quick Reply: Do car alarms deter thieves?