S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Do our front tires last TWICE as long as our rear tires??

Old 02-27-2002, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do our front tires last TWICE as long as our rear tires??

I just went over 10k miles and my rear tires will need to be changed long before the fronts. I was wondering...if I change just the rears now, will they all need to be replaced at about the same time the next time I need tires?

Of course I'm talking about replacing them with a new pair of SO2s.
Old 02-27-2002, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's not a bad approximation. I doubt it's exactly a 2x difference but it's relatively close. I'm on my second set and the rears have about half the tread of the front. Note that this is with aggressive driving, a few rear drifts under power and no 7k RPM clutch drops. Your driving style will certainly affect the relative wear.
Old 02-27-2002, 01:40 PM

Do our front tyres last TWICE as long as our rear tyres??

Only if you drive in a straight line most of the time. I replaced all 4 tyres simultaneously. Whilst the rears were worn evenly all the way across the tread the fronts were worn badly on either side but with some tread left in the middle.

The actual wear on the fronts was worse than the back and half way through their life I had the front tyres swapped from side to side to even out the wear.

I thought anyone who bought an S2000 would corner as agressively as I do. You obviously do a lot of freeway driving.
Old 02-27-2002, 01:41 PM

I replaced my rears at 15K (I don't track or autocross the car). I've now got 27K miles on the original fronts and 12K on the replacement rears (Michelin Pilot Sports), and the fronts will at least make it to 30K and the rears will certainly make it beyond the 15K of the OEM rears.
Old 02-27-2002, 02:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the same boat as 2kturkey - mine all wear out just the same. the rears go extremely bald and the fronts are usually torn up when I'm done with them.
Old 02-27-2002, 02:37 PM

Depend on your driving style and if you do rotate them regularly, they will last about the same.
Old 02-27-2002, 03:13 PM
Tox

Originally posted by NewR
Depend on your driving style and if you do rotate them regularly, they will last about the same.
Yeah, I put the fronts on the back and vice versa, and changed sides, and now I spin out whenever I turn the wheel. And it hydroplanes like crazy! What's with that?
Old 02-27-2002, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by NewR
I took mine in to be rotated and the dealer just put each one back on the corner it come off of
Old 02-27-2002, 03:28 PM

I'll agree about it depending on your driving style, but also what you want out of the tires as well. My rears were almost completely bald at 12K miles. The fronts had tread left, perhaps 1/4 or more of original depth. However, I had noticed that the fronts were actually worse off than the rears grip-wise.

The fronts had actually started to noticably lose ultimate grip starting around 7,500 miles and I started getting more and more understeer as time went on. This seems to bhave been acknowledged here on the forums as a heat cycling effect that tends to harden the S02's and has little to do with the amount of tread left.

Clark
Old 02-27-2002, 04:39 PM

The fronts wear a lot more in the insides - that wear matches the rear wear. For those of you who think you have a lot of tread left when you change your rears, check the insides of the fronts.

Quick Reply: Do our front tires last TWICE as long as our rear tires??