S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

do you fix it or sell it?

Old 11-20-2013, 10:58 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by JM_AP2
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1384920892' post='22885404
Memories like that last a life time.
This is certainly one memory I want to purge as soon as possible.

I owned this car 6 or 7 years ago, sold it 4 years ago to a couple about 30 mins away. They called in Aug and asked if I wanted it back. I was at their home a few days later with a check for the price I sold it to them. I was so happy to have this back. I can just about cry thinking about this and the fact that insurance is leaving me out in the cold after giving them 5 figures a year for 8? years to the same agency.
I hope your agent can work something out for you. I'm not sure what leverage you have but in your shoes I'd move all my business if it was truly their error and now you're screwed.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rob-2
Originally Posted by JM_AP2' timestamp='1384956468' post='22885806
[quote name='rob-2' timestamp='1384920892' post='22885404']

I owned this car 6 or 7 years ago, sold it 4 years ago to a couple about 30 mins away. They called in Aug and asked if I wanted it back. I was at their home a few days later with a check for the price I sold it to them. I was so happy to have this back. I can just about cry thinking about this and the fact that insurance is leaving me out in the cold after giving them 5 figures a year for 8? years to the same agency.
I hope your agent can work something out for you. I'm not sure what leverage you have but in your shoes I'd move all my business if it was truly their error and now you're screwed.
[/quote]

^ this guy makes a strong point.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by importrule
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1384977518' post='22886502
[quote name='JM_AP2' timestamp='1384956468' post='22885806']

[/quote]
[/quote]

Definitely doesn't hurt to try, but I seriously doubt the insurance company is going to want to fork over that kind of money (whatever that may be) for a single customer retention... who could even still drop them at any time after receiving the check
Old 11-21-2013, 01:59 PM

Received 192 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by jkelley
Definitely doesn't hurt to try, but I seriously doubt the insurance company is going to want to fork over that kind of money (whatever that may be) for a single customer retention... who could even still drop them at any time after receiving the check
If the guy really does have a total of 13 vehicles with them and all but this one have full coverage, then yes, the agent might be willing to work with him on this issue in order to retain the customer. It seems to me that it really does come down to if the agent is willing to admit a mistake was made when submitting the vehicle to the insurance company for coverage. Now, to be clear, I am not saying the OP isn't responsible for reviewing his policy (they send it in the mail when you make any changes and it's a good idea to look at it before you write a check or pull out your plastic to pay the bill), but he can say to his agent, "Hey, I told you to insure it just like the other cars and you didn't." Assuming that statement is the truth, he does have a strong argument if all the other cars have the same kind of full coverage insurance and this one is the only exception.

Sounds like a bummer of a situation to be in.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by jkelley
Originally Posted by importrule' timestamp='1385062958' post='22888369
[quote name='rob-2' timestamp='1384977518' post='22886502']
[quote name='JM_AP2' timestamp='1384956468' post='22885806']

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I have made things like this happen, for much bigger dollar amounts. It's all in how you deal. If he's good at business he'll find a way to gain leverage. I've had vendors pay for things they weren't legally needed to, with less leverage.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:02 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I had less damage than that (nothing in the rear and only one corner damaged, with no frame damage) and the final bill to get it back into perfect shape was roughly $14,000.

New front sub-frame, new control arms top and bottom plus fixing the upper mounts, new knuckle, body, paint, radiator, wheel repair, tires, airbag, etc.

Now if you could do the work yourself, you could fix that stuff way cheaper. In my case, I was lucky and insurance covered everything.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Originally Posted by jkelley' timestamp='1385072720' post='22888672
If the guy really does have a total of 13 vehicles with them and all but this one have full coverage, then yes, the agent might be willing to work with him on this issue in order to retain the customer. It seems to me that it really does come down to if the agent is willing to admit a mistake was made when submitting the vehicle to the insurance company for coverage. Now, to be clear, I am not saying the OP isn't responsible for reviewing his policy (they send it in the mail when you make any changes and it's a good idea to look at it before you write a check or pull out your plastic to pay the bill), but he can say to his agent, "Hey, I told you to insure it just like the other cars and you didn't." Assuming that statement is the truth, he does have a strong argument if all the other cars have the same kind of full coverage insurance and this one is the only exception.

Sounds like a bummer of a situation to be in.
13 is legit. They are saying I never told them to add full coverage to an accord I gave to one of my businesses and added to business policy for a new salesman's car. That car was mistakenly added to business policy as liability only. I told them to back date that car to the date is was moved as it was in error too. Both my s2k and this accord were added added on the same day and both have errors in the policy. I dont see that as a coincidence.

They dont record their calls and are just sitting back and telling me to have a nice day.

If you guys have an idea of leverage I can pull with these pricks Id love some pointers.

The shop that cares for all our business vehicles said we are over 15k to make it whole again. I think I will just sell it and move on.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i feel bad of what happened to you and your nice s, but why are there so many stories of the exact same thing. "Lost control and went into a curb, gaurd rail etc.." If it's wet out i drive crazy slow and no gas through corners etc.. It's rear wheel drive and it will get loose. Respect the beast.

I really am sorry for the loss though. I just wanted to share what i thought. Good luck with the rebuild
Old 11-25-2013, 06:29 AM

15k to fix that is kinda ridiculous. 31k miles to boot. How unfortunate
Old 11-25-2013, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sebring AP1
15k to fix that is kinda ridiculous. 31k miles to boot. How unfortunate
I think that's what the car is worth too.

Quick Reply: do you fix it or sell it?