S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Do you get that loud snapping noise backing up after washing your stook?

Old 02-06-2001, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ever since the stook's first wash, I noticed a loud snapping noise. (and I feel it too...it's like the calipers refuse to let go of the tire)
This happens whenever the car get very wet whether it's a car wash or heavy rain.
Is that normal? It sounds and feels like rear brakes.
But again, it might not be brakes at all. The only time I had similar feeling was when a caliper broke on a very old Toyota Cressida. It refuses to open up and it only interferes with backing up (well, it probably doesn't affect moving forward as much)
Old 02-06-2001, 12:49 PM

I always get that noise after the car is cold, and I am backing it out of the driveway.

I always figured that it was one of the stress bars popping becase it's cold???

After you wash your car, your calipers oxidize quite a bit...but I don't think it's the brakes.
Old 02-06-2001, 12:59 PM

Yep, I know exactly what you mean. I hear the exact same noise. What I started doing is right after I finish washing the car, I start the car and ease forward and back a few times while tapping the brakes. This seems to have eliminated the problem for me. One other thing, I also don't engage my emergency brake right after a wash job.
Old 02-06-2001, 12:59 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

It most probably is the brakes. The calipers (well .. pads actually) will stick to the rotors if they get wet and you leave the car parked.

It's quite a loud noise when they let go. I always try and run the car around the block or back and forwards in the garage a bit to clean the rust off the rotors before parking.
Old 02-06-2001, 01:20 PM

I agree with Muz - it definitely IS the brakes. The Stook rotors rust very quickly (the steel they are made of offers high braking potential/heat dissipation but a side effect is the rapid oxidisation).

The problem is made worse if you
a). leave the handbrake on; or
b). park it overnight after washing

but wil happen regardless in some circumstances.
Old 02-06-2001, 01:35 PM

most cars do that, try washing it without the hand break on
it will disapear .one very importante situation dont wash the car or for that matter no water on the disks right after a hard drive.you will warp the discs.also if you park the car for a while make sure the hand break is not on.i use a broom handle by the rear tire
Old 02-06-2001, 01:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had this problem a couple of weeks ago for the first and only time. But it wasn't after washing, it was cold out, and that was the first time the car had moved in a month. Thank goodness it is not rare. It really freaked me out, considering I walked up to a closed garage door that was unlocked, and I knew I had locked it. No problems with the car though.

ERIK
Old 02-06-2001, 03:10 PM

It's caused strictly by the emergency brake being engaged, allowing the calipers to stick to the rotors slightly. when you release the brake, the calipers don't move until you begin to back up, and then they "pop" loose. This is especially bad after overnight moisture or washing allows the pads to stick to the oxidizing rotors.
Old 02-06-2001, 05:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has happened to me a few times and I'm glad to read it's nothing to worry about. But it scared the s**t out of me the first time it happened. It's quite a loud snap.
Old 02-06-2001, 06:43 PM
AP

I washed the car before leaving for my Christmas holidays. When I came back after 2 weeks, the car wouldn't budge when I started it. I knew the rotor was stuck, and while usually it would release easily with a snap, this time I had to rev it to 3kRPM and release the clutch before it would let go. Even worse I had to do this to release all 4 wheels individually. The left front rotor since then has a black thick line running across from, I guess, the brake pad. I've had a service done since then, and everything seems ok. I'll have to remember to drive a little bit after a wash before parking it. Unfortunately I have to pull the handbrake when in the garage (I had a previous post of the car rolling against the closed garage door, and my mother opening and closing the door against the rear bumper )

Quick Reply: Do you get that loud snapping noise backing up after washing your stook?