S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Do you have any regrets?........

Old 04-09-2001, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys. The S2K is truly a toy, built for fun and not very practical. If you can afford the price of admission, go for it; the responsibilities of your lifetime come roaring at you soon enough, my friend.
Old 04-10-2001, 12:20 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hi50
[B]Im new to this board, my S2K is coming in sometime late this month, or early May.
Old 04-10-2001, 05:17 AM

Hi Guys/Gals!

Thanks for all the great advice! This problem has been bugging me for a while. I think about 95% of people I talked to told me to get the car. The other day my insurance agent told me, "son, at your age, now is the time to have a sports car, because you may end up with a Honda Accord for a good long time when you get married ". I know I will go crazy if I dont get the car, for sure.

As for the girlfriend, she said she didnt mind me getting it, but didnt sound to happy. We agreed to have as much fun now while we are young, and wait a couple of years to get married. So "fun" for me means driving a serious machine. Right now Im not looking forward to all the responsibilities that I will someday get when Im married. When the day comes to "sacrafice" the car, at least I can say I owned an S2K!
Old 04-10-2001, 05:50 AM

Greg,

You have too much time on your hands.

As for being young, car, home, marriage, you can have it all. Just have to work harder in life.

I can say that because I'm living it right now. I'm 20 have my own home, 2 Motorcycles, BMW coupe, S2000, beautiful loving woman (Marriage coming this July are yall coming?) Great business (Aero Pawn/Import Development) and all the toys in my house to go home and play with. And still having fun, life is short when I get as old as Greg I guess I'll sit around on the net all day. hehehe
Old 04-10-2001, 06:06 AM

Buy it, and buy it now. I bought a 911SC before I got married, but she made me sell it to buy a new home. Then the bitch leaves me two weeks after we move in. I bought my scarlet baby a few weeks ago and the divorce will be final in June. I will marry again, but I will NEVER give up my sports car again.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the divorce rate is now above 50%. I hope you can beat the odds.
Old 04-10-2001, 06:16 AM

Let all hope we never have to make that decision. Sorry I'm sexist as hell, but behind every sucessful married man is an encouraging woman. My wife told me to buy the car. Course we had to wait till the kids were gone, house paid off and I'm making decent money. She backed every decision I made. Now we're doing pretty well.
I don't envy your decision.
If it helps, come by La Feria on Friday afternoon. There is usually one or more owners there shootin' the S2K bullsh*t. You and your sweetie will be welcome. Be warned though, once you ride or drive one, the decision is made.
Check out the Central Texas Forum for details.
Old 04-10-2001, 07:13 AM

I was in a similar situation as you (24, recent grad). I sold some stocks to buy the S2000 with cash, and now that the market has tanked it is a good buying opportunity. Sometimes I catch myself thinking "I am effectively driving a 64k car" because if I had re-invested the money spent on the S2000, and the stock returned to normal levels, that is how much it would be worth.

Still, anytime I start having those thoughts, a short drive clears up any doubt, and brings the kind of pure joy that you can't put ANY price on...
Old 04-10-2001, 07:20 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by SpaceNeedle
Greg, the Lira isn't that inflated.
The are some real outlandish exchange rates, and one of the craziest I have experienced is..

0.02 US Dollar = 2589.99994 Turkish Lira
Old 04-10-2001, 07:28 AM

I have no regrets, except for the negative attention from certain people, especially the local police.

I've recently been paying out big $$ to lawyers to fight a number of traffic violations, many have been fabricated! But here in the Deep South the police are notorious for hassling people. Especially people "not from 'roun here"

I'm 40 but many say I look 30, and the local cops all know me now, and consider me a young arrogant Yankee with more money than them, and they love to hassle me.

I'm getting out of Mississippi, as fast as I can land a new job elsewhere, and if things do not improve, I'll be selling my S2000.

I love my S2K, but sometimes it just isn
Old 04-10-2001, 07:58 AM

Originally posted by cdelena

The are some real outlandish exchange rates, and one of the craziest I have experienced is..

0.02 US Dollar = 2589.99994 Turkish Lira
I thought it was worse than that...along the lines of $1 = almost 300,000 Turkish Lira!

As for the question asked...I'm only 19 so I can't give advice from personal experience, but I think that if you can afford the car without having to cut back from other aspects of your life, then go for it. However, if getting it means that you're going to have to eat Ramen noodles for the next couple of years, I'd hold back on it. One reason I opted for the S2000 despite its impracticality was because I know that once I get married my priorities would change, and getting a sports car wouldn't be high on the list anymore. Good luck with your decision.

Quick Reply: Do you have any regrets?........