S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Does anyone have scraping issues on stock suspension?

Old 01-19-2015, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone have scraping issues on stock suspension?

Just out of curosity. I know the car is already low in stock form and wonder if anyone ever had any problems with it being "too low" for being a daily driver on stock suspension?
Old 01-19-2015, 02:23 PM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Beware of curbs, especially parking lot curbs dividing spaces, until you get used to the very long nose on the car. My only scrapes.

-- Chuck
Old 01-19-2015, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Beware of curbs, especially parking lot curbs dividing spaces, until you get used to the very long nose on the car. My only scrapes.

-- Chuck
Any problems with speed bumps or anything? And what exactly do you mean by curbs? I has a lowered integra before this and was wondering if I had to treat the s2000 the same way always angling the car and stuff. I have not received my s2000 yet, but the person who was bring it to me had trouble putting it on his trailer bed because it was too low. The car is completely stock so I am kinda worried that the S is gonna be too low.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:58 PM

I have had zero issues.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:58 PM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

That is really a subjective kind of statement ("too low") plus it really makes a difference where you live. I know a lot of people who daily drive their S2000s in southern California. But we get very little severe weather here, the roads (except for certain parts of LA) are fairly smooth, and it's an easy place to own a fair-weather car. So the term "too low" means something different to someone living in Orange County, CA, than it does to someone from say, Portland, Maine.

I think Chuck S (above) said it well. Watch out for the parking space divider curbs because you won't clear it and the nose is longer than you think. I have driven into some seriously steep driveways where I have had to be a little extra careful to angle it in, but otherwise it's not a big deal. I don't find myself dodging potholes all that often or worrying about getting high-centered when I'm in my S. I admit, I don't daily it, but that's not because of ride-height issues. I don't daily it because I am fortunate to be able to have a completely practical and economical daily hatchback for daily beatings, and my S can get preserved for fun. But I took it on a road trip to Hood River, OR, and then down coastal Oregon and California with a passenger and full trunk with nary an issue. There was only one driveway on the entire trip that I looked at and said, "Is there another way into this lot?" And that was because I could see a LOT of scrape marks from other cars on the huge asphalt hump in the middle of it already.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by DarkBeam
Originally Posted by Chuck S' timestamp='1421709783' post='23474095

-- Chuck
Any problems with speed bumps or anything? And what exactly do you mean by curbs? I has a lowered integra before this and was wondering if I had to treat the s2000 the same way always angling the car and stuff. I have not received my s2000 yet, but the person who was bring it to me had trouble putting it on his trailer bed because it was too low. The car is completely stock so I am kinda worried that the S is gonna be too low.
Parking lot curbs. The ones that they put at the head of the space so you don't drive willy-nilly into the car parking on the other side of the space from you. Those ones. You will drive up to it, not realize your bumper won't clear it, and you'll scrape the lip long before your tires get to it. That will happen exactly once to you. You will never do it again after that. Or if you do you will feel like a complete idiot and never tell anyone.

Loading onto a trailer is a different situation. That's way steep. And a car with a longer nose is going to have issues with that.

Unless you hit some really gargantuan sized speed bumps, this car at stock ride height will have no problems. I used to have a Miata that was lowered an inch and I always had to worry about speed bumps. I have not had to take the same precautions in the S2000 as I used to in the lowered Miata.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Originally Posted by DarkBeam' timestamp='1421711839' post='23474122
[quote name='Chuck S' timestamp='1421709783' post='23474095']

-- Chuck
Parking lot curbs. The ones that they put at the head of the space so you don't drive willy-nilly into the car parking on the other side of the space from you. Those ones. You will drive up to it, not realize your bumper won't clear it, and you'll scrape the lip long before your tires get to it. That will happen exactly once to you. You will never do it again after that. Or if you do you will feel like a complete idiot and never tell anyone.

Loading onto a trailer is a different situation. That's way steep. And a car with a longer nose is going to have issues with that.

Unless you hit some really gargantuan sized speed bumps, this car at stock ride height will have no problems. I used to have a Miata that was lowered an inch and I always had to worry about speed bumps. I have not had to take the same precautions in the S2000 as I used to in the lowered Miata.
[/quote]
Awesome! You answered my question in full detail in both of your posts. Thank you so much.

Any tips on getting the car off the trailer when he comes to drop it off? He said we would have to find a slope/curb to get it off safely but I'm not entirely sure I can think of one in my area. Any suggestions?
Old 01-19-2015, 03:21 PM

A couple extra 2x6s or 2x4s centered at the ends of the ramps may help. Basically extends the end of the ramp, so to speak, because you aren't dropping directly to the ground right away. Buys you an extra foot or two to clear the nose.

Or I'd look for a slight slope, as you mentioned. It wouldn't need much.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:24 PM

Go to any tire store where they service lowered cars and ask them how they get lowered cars on and off of their alignment racks. The same process is what you would use only with the trailer.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:28 PM

This is probably way more than you would have to do, but the idea is the same:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BFo8IKXxDg[/media]

Quick Reply: Does anyone have scraping issues on stock suspension?