S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

does driving hard result in "ticking valves"?

Old 03-09-2002, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a celica GTS before this and ive always drove my cars hard. Even with my S2000, but when i had the celica...i miss-shifted and bent some valves.

My friend told me that you dont have to miss-shift to make the engine not tick when idles (ofcourse not as noticeable as when you miss-shift badly) but basically he
said if you drive hard to the rev-limiter often then your engine could tick more while idling. I've been a little paranoid about this so after i drive my car hard and i drive it into the garage...i always listen very carefully to see if the engine sounds like it ticks more than normal.

So the question is, do you think driving hard near rev limiter cause the engine to make "ticking" sounds? thankx
Old 03-09-2002, 02:06 PM

I bent a few valves on my '74 Celica GT and I never redlined it more than 100+ times. It never ticked, either. Did a valve job at 14K and it was a great engine after that.

So... What was your question?

Old 03-09-2002, 02:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

more likely that your octane isnt high enough-
you would really have to do something bad (downshift into a past-redline zone) to damage the valves and such downshifting would do enough other damage that you wouldnt be driving anyway!
Old 03-09-2002, 02:50 PM

with the top down, it's so hard to resist revving it....so lately ive been driving with "enthusiasm" because the weather has been nice. (only on empty roads though)
Old 03-09-2002, 04:28 PM

Yeah, my car ticks too, ive noticed

When i first got the S, it never ticked at all....driving it hard or not......now i notice it ticks evertime i get out of the car!

so what exactly does the ticking mean?

I dont know if this has happend to anyone else but has anyone mis-shifted from 3 to four and accidentally put it into 2nd? I could have SWORN I put it in forth!.....anyways....it DID go way past redline but I stomped on the clutch IMMEDIATELY!!....Hopefully I didnt do any damage.....mind u, this was a long time ago......car seems to be running fine there-after.....plenty of races and other red-line instances...

any comments about this and the ticking would be good.....(how can u tell if u have bent valves anyways?)
Old 03-09-2002, 04:34 PM

It's actually recommended that you drive your VTEC engine hard. If you do not drive it the way it was meant to be carbon will build up in the engine. Causing even more damage and wear to the engine.
Old 03-09-2002, 04:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by s2oooboy

any comments about this and the ticking would be good.....(how can u tell if u have bent valves anyways?)
The ticking is caused by a hot exhaust system (catalytic convertor), normally. It has nothing to do with bent valves. If the valves were bent you would know it. The engine would not be running or at least not running correctly.
Old 03-09-2002, 04:52 PM

The same thing that happen to s2000boy happen to me. But I'm not sure if my car was ticking before the mis-shift. But I do know this, the car still runs like a bat out of hell. Just put the injen cai on and love it love it. I've also been to several track days at summit point WV. I always keep an ear out though to hear if it gets any worse. It seems that the warmer the engine gets , the volume of the ticking goes down. The ticking is definitely internal...it seems like it's right under the valve cover. What the hell is this noise?.......
Old 03-09-2002, 05:04 PM

"It's actually recommended that you drive your VTEC engine hard. If you do not drive it the way it was meant to be carbon will build up in the engine. Causing even more damage and wear to the engine."

Ive heard of this before. That's a great excuse to myself or my car after everytime i feel like ive abused it a bit too much.
Old 03-09-2002, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Prelude
It's actually recommended that you drive your VTEC engine hard. If you do not drive it the way it was meant to be carbon will build up in the engine. Causing even more damage and wear to the engine.
Hehehe...no chance of carbon buildup in my engine then LOL

Quick Reply: does driving hard result in "ticking valves"?