S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Does Force Induction ruin the spirit of the S2000?

Old 11-02-2001, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Force Induction ruin the spirit of the S2000?

Hi all, now I know this heading might start some flames. But I would first of like to start by mentioning that I am in love with all the FI applications...Derrycks the most. I almost took out a loan just to get it. .

But.....Im sure many of you S2K owners are confused as to what to do to your S. I happen to have mugen bolt ons however all these topics of FI have been leaving me tempted by the darkside.

When I look at companies such as mugen, and spoon, Im sure that they are more biased towards NA applications instead of other companies such as HKS or Top Fuel. But many I have spoken with who are highly involved in the whole "honda" scene seem to appreciate what the S2000 was built for; which is a naturally aspirated application. Well,...seems reasonable to me to think so, since the compression is way high, plus the way the engine block was designed. A forced induced engine would have different characteristics..no doubt.

My question is for the rest of you....do you think in a way?? at all...that FI ruins the spirit of the S2000?? Or do you think it just enhances it? or even alters the spirit? Am I making sense???
How many of you feel that the S2000 is more balanced with a NA application?

Also another question that comes to play is, the reliability of forced induction.... yes..I have seen that many of the comptech blowers and Derrycks app seems pretty darn reliable, however what happens over time, as the piston rings might start to wear down. All these aspects for the pros and cons certaintly gives me a headache after thinking about it and deciding what to do. Now I know that Tuning plays a very important role in this...but overall I just want to know what the rest of the S2k community thinks.

Thanks for reading guys..know its long.
Old 11-02-2001, 12:47 PM

I know this is totally off-topic, but were you at the Maximum Import show at Del Mar (San Diego). I saw a silver S2000 from Team Hybrid, the only noticable mod was the wheels. Curious...

Jaykkub
Old 11-02-2001, 12:53 PM

Team Hybrid,

I know how you feel...but there is not much choice to get over 300 HP other than to add some boost.
Old 11-02-2001, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by Jaykkub
I know this is totally off-topic, but were you at the Maximum Import show at Del Mar (San Diego). I saw a silver S2000 from Team Hybrid, the only noticable mod was the wheels. Curious...

Jaykkub
no that was my friend Andrew. My wheels are unfortunately Stock.....and CHROME!!!

but they look somewhat elegant on black. hehe
Old 11-02-2001, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by Phantom
Team Hybrid,

I know how you feel...but there is not much choice to get over 300 HP other than to add some boost.

NOS???? I'd imagine you can use it in the most needed situations =).

such as running against a porsche.
Old 11-02-2001, 01:02 PM

It's all personal preference like anything else. I personally give more esteem to a car built up all-motor running high 12s than a car with a turbo kit running low 12s. This of course doesn't mean I don't appreciate a low 12 second turbo car....hell i'll appreciate any low 12 second car. Moreovr, we all know that the most notorious s2 on this board belongs to an owner who went the turbo route and it didn't appear to damage the spirit of his finely tuned machine at all. As far as reliability all-motor probably has the edge...i'd feel much more comfortable banging 9,000 revvs day after day in a car tuned on motor than redlining a good deal in a car with forced induction. Either way, IMO, the "spirit" of the car is enhanced by any mods you choose to add as long as they produce that "permagrin" when we put that right foot down or when we're just rollin by the beach at a tame rpm.
Old 11-02-2001, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by Team Hybrid
NOS???? I'd imagine you can use it in the most needed situations =).
You want to go from barely 200 RWHP to 300+ RWHP with just NOS? Not saying it's impossible, just not real practical. Not sure there's anyone who's dropped a 100+ shot on the S2K.
Old 11-02-2001, 01:46 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wesmaster
[B]You want to go from barely 200 RWHP to 300+ RWHP with just NOS?
Old 11-02-2001, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back to the spirit of the question, I don't see FI as violating the what I see as the S2K spirit.

I see the car as having balanced and extraordinary handling plus an F1-sounding motor with more guts than most similar cars (say Miata, Toy Spyder, or BMW 2.3). As long as the FI doesn't weigh so much that it unbalances the car, and retains a "relatively" flat torque curve (unlike many Japanese tuner turbos) I say I'd have the same car, only better. It might violate the drivetrain of the S2K but that's another story. Some might say they admire Hondas engineers too much to alter their vision that radically. I say just drive the car. I'd love to take a spin in Derryck's mean S2K! And near the end of my warranty I just might put some FI under my hood.

I see your question as similar to the blown Z06 vettes and Vipers I read about (drool ). They are both all about serious muscle and some FI just gives 'em more. And I'm sure just as many of their owners think FI violates their spirit.
Old 11-02-2001, 02:04 PM

I don't think Fi will take away from the spirit of the car. I think FI will enhance the car and make up for some of it's weaknesses. However, for reliability purposes, all-motor is the way to go.

Quick Reply: Does Force Induction ruin the spirit of the S2000?