S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Does an S2000 really spin/crash that easy?

Old 05-13-2016, 08:17 PM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Originally Posted by AP1Driver' timestamp='1462981362' post='23963565
Originally Posted by Chuck S
I still intend to take a performance driving course with my s2000 -- heck, I'm not sure the seat is in the optimal position! "Works for me" but is it the most efficient? Not sure Autocross is the place to learn. Takes more than a few minutes of instruction for any skill. Until you take professional instruction on any skill you're likely to develop bad or inefficient habits. We see this all the time in the firearms training industry where folks arrive smug that they know it all -- heck, they're American males! -- and find out very soon they don't. This includes soldiers and policemen. I recall yelling "Why did no one ever teach me this!?" at my first course (after years of combat arms service). -- Chuck
Autocross is most definitely a good exercise to learn this car, or any car, for that matter; if someone doesn't learn car control measures from hustling through a proper AutoX environment, they simply refused to try or cannot drive, period...

I agree and might even suggest it is a better environment to learn in than on a race track. The autocross courses can get you into a spin at a lower, safer speed than most race tracks.
And it's oh so humbling when you string together a good run at the edges of your personal limits and are still seconds behind the truly fast guys
Old 05-14-2016, 02:06 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Frida83
Originally Posted by Legal Bill' timestamp='1463198077' post='23966274
[quote name='AP1Driver' timestamp='1462981362' post='23963565']
Originally Posted by Chuck S
I still intend to take a performance driving course with my s2000 -- heck, I'm not sure the seat is in the optimal position! "Works for me" but is it the most efficient? Not sure Autocross is the place to learn. Takes more than a few minutes of instruction for any skill. Until you take professional instruction on any skill you're likely to develop bad or inefficient habits. We see this all the time in the firearms training industry where folks arrive smug that they know it all -- heck, they're American males! -- and find out very soon they don't. This includes soldiers and policemen. I recall yelling "Why did no one ever teach me this!?" at my first course (after years of combat arms service). -- Chuck
Autocross is most definitely a good exercise to learn this car, or any car, for that matter; if someone doesn't learn car control measures from hustling through a proper AutoX environment, they simply refused to try or cannot drive, period...

I agree and might even suggest it is a better environment to learn in than on a race track. The autocross courses can get you into a spin at a lower, safer speed than most race tracks.
And it's oh so humbling when you string together a good run at the edges of your personal limits and are still seconds behind the truly fast guys
[/quote]

Right? It took me two seasons to work my way up to the same second as number 1. I never got a first place in the SCCA events.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My06: conquering the oversteer

In my short experience with the s2000 over the past year of ownership, I have learned that this is a challenging car to drive on the limit but it is the most rewarding car I've ever driven cuz when you get it right you feel like a pro. I went to autocross at least a dozen times before going to the track to learn the car because of this thread and others. I spin the car at least once for the first three events. If you let off the brake abruptly mid corner you will spin, if you get on throttle to soon in a corner while the car is shifting weight still you will spin. After I learned what the didn't like and what it liked, I stopped spinning. At the track, anything over 90mph requires very soft hands and patience because alot of people spin these cars because they overcorrected a skid. I think is probably the number one cause actually, it just happened to someone on ACH, if you start to slide and you go to catch it, if you put in too much steering angle the car will catch quickly and send you the opposite direction in a hurry and that's the way I spun the most. Other than that the car is incredibly stable. I've found the best way to drive the car is by braking really hard initially and then easing up on the pedal as you go for turn in and as long as you're gentle about switching to the gas the car won't spin. Also, you can learn to manipulate the pedals and quick movement of the steering wheel to use some of that oversteer to your advantage, especially in autox. Ultimately I would say don't be scared to buy an s2000, but it is a car that requires you to build a relationship with it and understand what it likes before you can push it's limits and your own.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:59 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

S2000 with subpar tires is sketchy.. Stick to something <300twr
Short wheel base also means you have to have the ninja hands!
Old 01-20-2018, 07:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not a professional driver by any means, but I grew up driving older rear wheel drive vehicles with lots of torque, no traction control, and no ABS. I learned quick to respect the vehicle and get a feel for its limits before trying to push the car/truck hard. I bought my first S2000 a month ago and so far it drives no different than any other rear wheel drive car I have owned.

IMO many people don't have the experience driving rear wheel drive vehicles (let alone vehicles w/manual transmissions). I'd bet most of S2000 loss of control wrecks on public streets are due to inexperience. FWD can be extremely forgiving when you make an error. RWD will make you pay for your mistakes.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:10 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I agree.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve owned ....

porsche 914. Now that car was spin happy

porsche Cayman. Totally neutral handling. I can’t imagine how a non insane person could drive it past its limits.

88 911 Cab, it had 17 inch ruf wheels and pretty well sorted suspension. The weight was pretty similar to the s2000. Honestly, my ap1, at the limit, feels very similar to the 911 to me. I like it. I know it probably makes me stupid, but I never enjoyed the clinical driving experience of the Cayman.

The Honda has the fun of the 911 without the terror that something $10,000 might break at any moment,
Old 01-22-2018, 07:03 PM

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

I've spun mine twice, both times on the track in the rain. Both times were getting on the throttle too quick right as I was passing from asphalt to where there was concrete in the middle of the corner. When it did spin, it happened so quick I couldn't catch it either time. Then again, I'm a rookie on the track.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RobM
I've spun mine twice, both times on the track in the rain. Both times were getting on the throttle too quick right as I was passing from asphalt to where there was concrete in the middle of the corner. When it did spin, it happened so quick I couldn't catch it either time. Then again, I'm a rookie on the track.
Spinning on a track doesn't count Thats what tracks are for. One day i might do a compilation of all my spin outs.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:23 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruunz
Spinning on a track doesn't count Thats what tracks are for. One day i might do a compilation of all my spin outs.
The usual sponsored lapping days I go to, they give you one spin out and a talking to, second spin out you go home without a refund. Strict? maybe, but I tend to agree that if you haven't figured out where you and the cars limit is, no one typically wants to be around you when you finally do, that goes for the track or the street. If you are regularly spinning out, you are slow to learn in a couple ways. I spun out once on my first big track day around a 90mph sweeper, typical throttle lift oversteer and couldn't catch it. I've pushed the absolute limit of the car, with some sliding sideways a few times since but always managed to recover. I cant say I will never spin out again, but if I'm driving within my skill, I never should. Unless of course some guy next to me decides to take me out because he hasn't learned yet.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 01-25-2018 at 11:29 AM.