S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Does this sound like scam to you? *updated*

Old 10-09-2005, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I am Canadian,Oct 8 2005, 08:45 PM
Now the seller thought he was goning to scam someone sure enough he sent my dad $100US and we were suppose to add $100 on to the deal price....

But all he got was a big fat **** you and if he contacted the police we would go to the authorities and report his ass...hahahaha

Damn did the beer taste good that night.
I love it!!! That must have been the best beer ever!

Unfortunately the $6,600 S2K is still a scam. He could part that car out for more than $6,600 and not have to pay 50% shipping fees.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:56 AM

This is called "squaretrade scam". The car in question does exist, but, for all we know, it never left United States, and it is certainly not in possession of the seller.
Squaretrade is a legitimate company. Shortly you should be receiving an email that looks _as if_ it was sent by Squaretrade, asking you either to wire your $2500 shipping deposit or send it via western union somewhere overseas. The email will be bogus, of course. As soon as you send the money, the seller will either disappear or start asking for more "deposits", "fees", etc. There will be no chance to get back your money.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by steven975,Oct 8 2005, 09:24 PM
if it looks too good to be true, it is.
exactly. Don't get duped.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:51 PM

DANGER...DANGER!!! Will Robinson
Old 10-09-2005, 05:50 PM

WARNING this is a huge scam. some one tried it on me once. as you can see on the square trade web site it states that they never take money as a middle man and this is what the seller will tell you to do . also if you continue to talk with the dealer he will send you a email saying that he can only accept western union which is a tell that it is a scam so stay away. You will also recieve emails that look like square trade emails asking you to send money to them. JUST STAY AWAY. like others have said if it is too good to be true it is.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:26 PM

update is in original post!
Old 10-10-2005, 04:21 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

He will eventually just stop repsonding.

I am sure this guy has been very successful in the past. Ask him for his phone number so you can discuss this on the phone. Then when you call him ask him how many people he has stolen money from.

Then just run far away. Never deal over seas when looking for any car. To good to be true always is!
Old 10-10-2005, 06:27 AM

Man oh man, really glad for you that you asked for help here before sending any money. For folks who sell stuff on craigslist or even read stuff in their email people try to pull this kind of shit EVERY DAY. I would consider myself so hardened to it all that I have a hard time seeing how someone could fall for something so obvious. This is basically a carbon copy of textbook scams listed in a warning whenever you sell something on craigslist.

But if you haven't bought or sold a lot of stuff on the internet, there's no way you would no. No shame in asking. Just be glad you found out now and be a lot more careful in the future.

-If something is too good to be true it almost always is.
-If you are selling something and the transaction involves you giving any money to the buyer, it's a scam.
-Never trust any reputable name such as "PayPal", "Squaretrade" etc as your only source of credibility. "squaretrade@usa.com". WTF is usa.com?
-Anything involving sending money overseas, be doubly skeptical.

It's really sad, but there is a whole culture of people who do this for a living. They don't have to succeed 100% of the time or even 10% of the time. And don't think if you have called their bluff that you have scored one for justice and pizzownd them, these people don't give a shit unless they end up in jail. Even that won't stop them.

$2500 doesn't seem like a lot until you lose it!

Peter
Old 10-10-2005, 06:59 AM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle,Oct 9 2005, 08:28 AM
yeah, only 60 million people.
No, I meant those that were on the S2ki board. I'm sure there are enough of you that are scattered around so that someone is close enough to any point. I wouldn't suggest he start calling through the phone book

Anyhow, it's a scam so I guess that doesn't matter now.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by PoweredByCamry,Oct 10 2005, 09:27 AM
Man oh man, really glad for you that you asked for help here before sending any money. For folks who sell stuff on craigslist or even read stuff in their email people try to pull this kind of shit EVERY DAY. I would consider myself so hardened to it all that I have a hard time seeing how someone could fall for something so obvious. This is basically a carbon copy of textbook scams listed in a warning whenever you sell something on craigslist.

But if you haven't bought or sold a lot of stuff on the internet, there's no way you would no. No shame in asking. Just be glad you found out now and be a lot more careful in the future.

-If something is too good to be true it almost always is.
-If you are selling something and the transaction involves you giving any money to the buyer, it's a scam.
-Never trust any reputable name such as "PayPal", "Squaretrade" etc as your only source of credibility. "squaretrade@usa.com". WTF is usa.com?
-Anything involving sending money overseas, be doubly skeptical.

It's really sad, but there is a whole culture of people who do this for a living. They don't have to succeed 100% of the time or even 10% of the time. And don't think if you have called their bluff that you have scored one for justice and pizzownd them, these people don't give a shit unless they end up in jail. Even that won't stop them.

$2500 doesn't seem like a lot until you lose it!

Peter
Excellent advice. Someone should sticky that at the top of the forum.

Glad the original poster asked about the possibility of a scam - As PoweredBy said above, no shame in asking.

Quick Reply: Does this sound like scam to you? *updated*