S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Don't speed when your tires are bald in the rain..

Old 12-02-2004, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car has aggresive negative camber in the rear. Those wear patterns aren't that odd with high milage (>10K miles) rears on this car. My tires looked just like that when I took changed them on Tuesday - I just had more wear and bigger areas of cording but in exactly the same place.

Dialing out too much of the negative camber would actually make the car too tail happy in aggressive cornering.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't see any weird tread wear patterns in any of those pictures.

The insides always wear out first in the S the correct alignment will cause it to do just that the rear tires come in / \.

This makes the car like a spill proof coffee mug you know big at the bottom small at the top.

Reduces body roll and improves handling.

Expect to replace your tires between 10 and 15k or earlier if you drive aggressively.

Inspect your tires often!

Measure tread depth at the insides as well as the outsides.

If you see outside more than the inside tread wear or even tread wear get it aligned!

It's hard to make a judgement call as to when you have to replace these tires.

When in doubt change your tires, it'll only improve your driving experience.

Don't buy cheap tires! Quality is extremely important. No sears specials, you'll kill yourself! SO2 or better if there is such a thing.

Do a search for other high quality tires on the board make sure you get the bigger size required if they are not SO2s!

Yea you need bigger tires if you don't get SO2s even if they are SO3s Look it up I'm not sure what size you need!

Never use your cruise control when its raining!

Never use VTEC when its raining!

Use the highest gear possible for the speed you are going when its raining! 6th baby 6th! You don't need torque or sudden power increases in the rain.

I'm on SO2s and when I got my brand new pair it rained I still drove slower than my average.

I never exceed the speed limit anywhere when it rains because these tires are bad in the rain standing water or not.

Don't be cheap this car is expensive to own so don't try to get an extra 1,000 miles off of your tires its not worth it.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by exceltoexcel,Dec 3 2004, 07:09 AM
I didn't see any weird tread wear patterns in any of those pictures.

The insides always wear out first in the S the correct alignment will cause it to do just that the rear tires come in / \.

This makes the car like a spill proof coffee mug you know big at the bottom small at the top.

Reduces body roll and improves handling.

Expect to replace your tires between 10 and 15k or earlier if you drive aggressively.

Inspect your tires often!

Measure tread depth at the insides as well as the outsides.

If you see outside more than the inside tread wear or even tread wear get it aligned!

It's hard to make a judgement call as to when you have to replace these tires.

When in doubt change your tires, it'll only improve your driving experience.

Don't buy cheap tires! Quality is extremely important. No sears specials, you'll kill yourself! SO2 or better if there is such a thing.

Do a search for other high quality tires on the board make sure you get the bigger size required if they are not SO2s!

Yea you need bigger tires if you don't get SO2s even if they are SO3s Look it up I'm not sure what size you need!

Never use VTEC when its raining!

Use the highest gear possible for the speed you are going when its raining! 6th baby 6th! You don't need torque or sudden power increases in the rain.

I'm on SO2s and when I got my brand new pair it rained I still drove slower than my average.

I never exceed the speed limit anywhere when it rains because these tires are bad in the rain standing water or not.

Don't be cheap this car is expensive to own so don't try to get an extra 1,000 miles off of your tires its not worth it.
or better yet, dont buy this car if u dont know how to drive, or dont even think about buying this car if you think you're the $hit driving genius.

too many macho-ego strokers w/ zero driving skills trying to prove something on the streets and end up mangling poor S

stick w/ cars with ASC+T, DSC, PSM and other gizmos to bail out your ass
Old 12-03-2004, 09:02 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kodokan_4,Dec 1 2004, 08:14 PM

CG - Where did you see pics of S2000 crashes where there were deaths involved? In the really bad ones (like this thread) people often have no life-threatning injuries.

Pete
Pete, sorry I missed this post. It's excellent BTW and I did have some wrong ideas about the X frame. Thanks for clearing them up.

I have no idea where to find the pictures I mentioned now. The ones I'm remembering were from early to maybe mid 2000 and all involved the 1st year cars. One was a west coast car and one was a car in Florida that hit a tree much like this car did. Both resulted in fatalities

It also seems like one of our N. CA. people had a sad crash into a utility pole a couple of years ago that resulted in a death.

BTW, I don't know of any car that could hit a tree at that speed and not wrap around it.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ProV1,Dec 3 2004, 03:34 PM
or better yet, dont buy this car if u dont know how to drive, or dont even think about buying this car if you think you're the $hit driving genius.

too many macho-ego strokers w/ zero driving skills trying to prove something on the streets and end up mangling poor S

stick w/ cars with ASC+T, DSC, PSM and other gizmos to bail out your ass
Nonsense! The car displayed in this post was clearly in an extreme high speed incident. That amount of damage didn't come from hitting a pole at 40 mph - likely a whole lot more than that. That damage was a result of irresponsible driving for the conditions - be it with a talented driver at the wheel, or a novice.

That said, those of us who have tracked/autocrossed our cars - regardless of driving skill (who decides that? I'm a better driver through years of autocross and track than your average American, but does that really make me skilled?), have a better understanding of when we can go fast, and where.

My brother, who is useless behind the wheel, could drive my S (on new tires) in pouring rain. He never drives fast enough to get in trouble. When I'm not having fun, I can do my full 37 mile mixed highway/urban and twisty road commute in terrible rain with nary a slip of the rear. No skill required if I keep the speed down.

Let's not get to thinking that those of us with no mishaps are there because of our superior skill at handling this supposed wild beast in the rain with out a problem (hmmm 240 hp and no torque - and a pretty docile motor under 6k - yip, that's a beast) in the rain with out a problem. Perhaps we just exhibit superior judgment.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:38 AM

Common sense goes a longgggggggggggggg way.

Your no torque comment is pretty funny.

It just takes a little gooseing of the throttle to get your ass in trouble.

I do wish that the car came with traction control for those really bad days.

It's not about bastardising the car it's about taming the beast for road use while preserving it's race car status.

Oh yeah heated seats would be really nice too. =)

Be safe guys.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:48 PM

THere is just NO WAY a passenger would have survived that...
Old 12-03-2004, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by exceltoexcel,Dec 3 2004, 07:09 AM
Old 12-03-2004, 08:48 PM

looks like the shift knob is missing? did someone swipe it? even the AC temperature control knob was damaged?? that's bizarre.

I'm in agreement with all who state that the tire wear had very little to do with this accident. grossly excessive speed is what wrapped this car around a pole.

glad to hear the driver is ok. this most certainly was a tough lesson for him. poor S.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:59 PM

wow... im glad your friend made it out okay, and thank god there wasnt a passanger!

Quick Reply: Don't speed when your tires are bald in the rain..