S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Door open light keeps coming on

Old 05-30-2007, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door open light keeps coming on

Hi guys,

Been a bit of a lurker for around a 6 months now. Bought a gently used MY00 a few months back and its been fantastic, however an issue came up yesterday that has me a little stumped.

I was driving a little aggressively last night when all of a sudden my interior light came on, scared the sh!t out of me. Just wasn't expecting it. I look down at my dash and the door open light is on. So I stop the car and shut both doors. Light goes off.

Then driving around today, same thing however now this time, it seems worse. Almost as if something is loose, as whenever i hit a bump, the door ajar light will come on and the interior lights come on. Not to big of a deal as I can just shut them down completely, however when I was trying to lock the car this afternoon, it wouldn't lock via the fob, and it was becasue it kept think the doors were open. It's a pain locking things manually when you get used to the autolocks.

10 minutes later drove it to grab a coffee, no issues, locks fine. no light. I have tried the search function and can't seem to find any relevant info.

It thinks the doors are open

Any help would be appreciated to let me know where to start hunting. Just sounds like something is loose, but no idea where.

Thanks
TK
Old 05-30-2007, 12:19 PM

I'm guessing the sensor for the door light is loose or something(not sure exactly how it works).I'm sure if you do a search someone else has run into this problem before.

I'm sure it's a fairly easy fix.check your door jam and see where the contact point is for the lights.(not sure never looked for it myself)

check the UTH section or the electronics section as they might have some info on this.

David
Old 05-30-2007, 08:09 PM

Thanks. I tried searching but never really found what I was looking for. I'll try the other sections.

No issues tonight however. Very strange gremlin.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:13 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Along the door jam there is a plunger switch. It is either loose or the wire connecting it is loose or the switch is bad.

I know some one who has a pair of door switches an he's basically trying to give them away. Not sure how they could be shipped to Canada though.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:09 PM

i had this problem recently and i checked the driver side "plunger" sensor and the metal prong on the bottom had broken off the "plunger switch." Replaced the "plunger switch" and voila everything back to perfect working order.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by negcamber,May 31 2007, 04:13 AM
Along the door jam there is a plunger switch. It is either loose or the wire connecting it is loose or the switch is bad.

I know some one who has a pair of door switches an he's basically trying to give them away. Not sure how they could be shipped to Canada though.

You can get these door jam switch's at any Honda dealership, they are not expensive....
Old 01-26-2009, 06:09 PM

my dome light, headlight tone, key/ignition tone, and "door open" dash light do not come on when either one of my doors are open. So do I need to replace both driver and passenger plunger switches?
Old 01-26-2009, 06:44 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe. But they could just be stuck. Try pushing on the plungers (covered in black rubber) to see if you can free them up.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might have closed the door too many times on your seat belt buckle. I did that and it dented the door slightly, enough to let that plunger switch go open. Fixed it with a piece of firm foam stuck to the small dent I made.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:21 PM

so if i push the driver/passenger switches in all the way in and it still does not activate the door signals, that means replace the switches?

Quick Reply: Door open light keeps coming on