S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Down Side of Not Using Convertible Top Cover

Old 01-18-2004, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

Have any of you who do not use the convertible top cover while driving with the top down suffered any ill effects (e.g. broken supports, creaks, sticking mechanism etc.)? The $tealer who sold me my '03 said that driving without the cover would cause the wind to catch in the folded top, and bend the braces. Is this BS, or should I take him seriously? I'm not too worried about the aesthetics; it is such a pain to fasten and unfasten the snaps and store the cover.

P.S. I did a search, and found polls as to whether folks used the covers or not, but no specific questions re: potential damage.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:59 PM

I frequently drive that way. The only problem I can see is dirt getting into the mechanism, but then again I don't drive through dust storms with the roof down, so I don't see a problem.

M@
Old 01-18-2004, 11:17 PM

Other than getting dirty from top-down driving (just like the seats, etc. will), I don't konw of any problems. Let's put it this way - my S2000 has 39,000 miles with 90% of them top down miles. The tonneau cover has never been taken out of its plastic, and I (or the previous owner) never had any problems with the top.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:50 PM

Received 326 Likes on 276 Posts

I havn't seen any posts that have to do with damage due to no cover. I seldom use mine.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:28 AM

My 4.5 year old S2k has been driven top down without the tonneau cover just about every day of its life. No ill effects that I can detect
Old 01-19-2004, 06:07 AM

Received 5,236 Likes on 3,133 Posts

My first photos were taken with the cover on, then it was tossed in the attic since it's really not good for anything except photos IMO. It's a pain to use, takes up trunk space, and is unnecessary. When driving down the road it's not going to collect any more dirt than any other part of the interior would; same if the car's just sitting around outside with the top down..... which isn't likely if you have it on the shelf, since without it, it only takes seconds to coverup. Don't believe the dealer BS.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:16 AM

I use the cover whenever possible. I think it completes the look of my car so I try to use it whenever possible. Others complain about how long it takes to put it on ...I can do it in about a minute since I have gotten used to it.

It does take up trunk space when you have to take it off..but Im not carrying anything in the trunk anyways.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My cover does not even fit on the car because of my rollbar, therefore 22,000 miles and never used. I have had no problems other than dust.

Whoever said you had to use it or the support bars would bend was either yanking your chain or just plain wrong.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

o.k.- one for the other side (the contrarian's point of view)...
my boot is never off the car unless it is getting washed-
and my 3.5 year old car has a brand new top (cause its never used!). have never washed the top either-
looks much better to me and it does a good job of protecting the top.
imo, probably no damage- just doestn look as good and the top does stay brand new clean!
Old 01-19-2004, 08:02 AM

its good to use if you always park your car with the top down, otherwise its not a big deal. i have used it only once and it was such a pain that i left it in my basement.

Quick Reply: Down Side of Not Using Convertible Top Cover