S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Drove 350Z and S2k back-to-back

Old 01-17-2008, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove 350Z and S2k back-to-back

So I'm looking to get into an AP2 and wanted to KNOW it was the right decision for my only car. I test drove an Evo a week ago because it's 5 seater status made it "practical" (hated it- really rough ride, and unexplainable torque steer in an AWD car), and drove a new 350Z and S2k (again) yesterday.

The 306 hp 6 speed Nissan was kinda disappointing. It felt no more impressive than an automatic G35 I drove a few months ago when my gf was car shopping. I'll say that the torque did make it easy to drive and to get the rear a little loose (though I didn't push it too bad, seeing as it was 3:30pm on public roads and a new car).

Funny part: When I pulled around the last corner on the way back to the dealer, the salesguy enthusiastically, and kinda nervously said, "Wow, that was great!" I thought he might have been trying to tell me I was pushing my invitation to test drive a little far in a sublte way, so I apologetically asked if I scared him. He was like, "No man, that was fun. You can drive way better than me." It was a nice little ego booster, especially as I haven't even owned a stick shift in a year. I was a little worried about embarrassing myself, to be honest.

So, then I drove the S to do a back-to-back comparo. WAY AWESOMER! Yeah, that's right, I said awesomer. No other way to illustrate how retarded you feel when you realize how big the sh!t-eatin grin on your face is. First off, I didn't miss the extra power in the Z like I thought I would. It is more than enough for me. Second, the heel/toe action on the S is so much more intuitive to me than in the Z. And the Z has about 2 miles of clutch travel, a hidden 6th, just as impaired rearward visibility, and 10 fewer mpg's.

Now it's just a matter of making my dream car materialize. I've always loved the S, even since the concept was revealed in the late 90's. The fantasy was tattooed on my brain after I took a couple of Jim Russell racing schools and watched one of my instructers (very talented driver!) running a mini autox cone course in his 03 S during lunch.

Just thought I'd share...
Old 01-17-2008, 11:41 PM

Congratulations and welcome to the club. Your story is very similar when it was time for me to decide on a car.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:55 PM

i drove an Sti the day before i bought the S. i was impressed by the car and was thinking about it that night but i found myself going to the honda dealer that i used to work for and teast driving the Si that they had on the lot. i wasnt impressed with it but i parked next to an S2000 and then the gears started clicking and wound up getting the S. Ive been glad i did since then
Old 01-18-2008, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by pinkslip,Jan 18 2008, 12:29 AM
WAY AWESOMER! Yeah, that's right, I said awesomer.

when i was shopping for my next car, i also test drove the 350Z ('04 287hp) before i bought my S and i felt the same way. and i dont know about you but also the Z's interior seemed kinda...eh cheap for lack of a better word. i love my S and i'm glad you made the same choice. good story. welcome to the community.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just buy it already!

Its funny you mention heal toe shifting, thats the only thing i didnt like about the S2000. Its probably something to do with the pedal placement, the cramped space, and my feet. I actually find heal toe'ing much easier in my Type R and other Hondas i've owned.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first time I VTEC'd while test driving mine, I put on the biggest grin and couldn't get rid of it until LONG after I got out of the car.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:47 AM

Cool

I had 03 S2000 several years ago, until I wrecked it. Then I bought a 03 350Z track edition. While I had a Z, I really missed driving the S.
Now, I'm back to S. I am very satisfied with my S and I will never go back to Z.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let us know if you pick that bad boy up!
Old 01-18-2008, 06:34 AM
z4k

Originally Posted by slipper,Jan 18 2008, 01:41 AM
Just buy it already!

Its funny you mention heal toe shifting, thats the only thing i didnt like about the S2000. Its probably something to do with the pedal placement, the cramped space, and my feet. I actually find heal toe'ing much easier in my Type R and other Hondas i've owned.
You are just used ti sitting a little higher then the pedals. I like how tight the pedals are together it is great for Heel-Toeing. But most of my cars I had sit about even with the pedals so I'm used to that angle. IT felt awkward when I got a Civic.

Either Way! Buy the Car! Quit Slacking!
Old 01-18-2008, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by pinkslip,Jan 18 2008, 12:29 AM
No other way to illustrate how retarded you feel when you realize how big the sh!t-eatin grin on your face is.

Hmm... eatin' sh!t puts a big grin on your face?!?! Maybe I'll have to test it out sometime... actually, no... thats alright

10 mpg better? I thought the 350Z and S2000 were both rated at 18/25... If you get that kind of gas mileage, you're doing a lot better than me

Quick Reply: Drove 350Z and S2k back-to-back