S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Dyno Numbers

Old 09-05-2005, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno Numbers

I have a problem when I read someones Dyno numbers as proof - It seems there are so many variables and even equipment used. For example :
I had my car dynoed on Mustang dyno at Central florida turbo when the tuned my EMS and we started to discuss the different dynos and they told me they have tuned a few cars and drove the exact same car down the street to Titan motorsports (dynojet) under the same conditions and will have a 15 % to 18 % increase in numbers from the mustang dyno which accounts for weight and load.

Then there is the dynapak which takes it measurements from the hubs. I am starting to think the dyno industry needs some standards - Personally, I don't care about numbers because I am more interested in a good safe tune not bragging rights - I do not want a dyno queen!
Old 09-05-2005, 09:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think inherently there is an amount of error when people compare dyno numbers. since no two dynos are alike, there's bound to be some variance. and even on the same dyno, there is what... a 3-5% margin of error? Not to mention human factor, temperature, humidity, coolant temp, etc, etc.

I think really, the most important thing for someone tuning on a dyno is consistency. I don't care if the dyno is inaccurate to the true numbers, as long as it is consistently inaccurate.

This alone probably makes it hard for a standard to be set, with the exception of SAE and their new testing methods. Even then who knows what is involved.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:43 AM

Good points, I just look at this whole thing differently now - I tuned my car on perhaps the "lowest" producing number Dyno with the Mustang but several tuners I have spoken with prefer the mustang because of it's load and weight features, Do other dynos account for load, weight? I don't believe everything I hear but they made some good points about tuning with load, similar to road tuning!
Old 09-06-2005, 05:48 AM

IMO, dyno numbers mean very little... the only thing a dyno is good for is tuning. How many high HP Supra's do you see that perform terribly on the track? Too many.

Dyno numbers are just for pissing contests... I care more about the driven numbers, what is the drivers best 1/4 mile, what's his best lap time, that sort of thing. Put an asshole in a 900hp car and he will get his clock cleaned by a guy with actual driving talent in a car with far less power.

That's just my $0.02
Old 09-06-2005, 06:08 AM

DynoDynamics dynos also place the car under load similar to the Mustang dyno. As long as you use the same shop/dyno for all your tuning, you can get a pretty accurate idea of the progress you've made.

I always like to post dyno charts of my cars (I typically use a DD or Mustang dyno) and have people focus on the peak number and say, "Dude, your numbers are so low there must be something wrong with your car."
Old 09-06-2005, 10:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I look at a "Dyno" from a tuning aspect. It's for the tuner to make adjustments and provide you with a safe setup. The variables are endless because of personalized setups and different engine managements.

If you look at it like that.....then the numbers are secondary...

Simple fact is, that the majority of people who dyno their cars are also modded in areas that effect the numbers.

As long as your running safe....you should be fine.

Numbers are just that... I believe a better driver can make up for a lot of $$ on mods with this car.

JMHO