S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Epic tale of death and destruction

Old 11-02-2001, 10:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm actually going to try to keep this short, but as some of you know, the front end of my car was covered in rock chips, and I had a mishap at S2KDays that resulted in a dented rocker panel (under driver door). So I took it all the way from Austin, Texas, to Body Werks in Skokie, IL to get everything fixed and shiny again.

I picked her up yesterday after a long month of VTEC withdrawal, and MAN was she beautiful! Larry really did a beautiful job, and I would go the distance again to have him fix anything wrong with my car. But wait, I already am...

Greg Stevens was helping me drive Charlotte back to Austin, and we left about 6 pm, intending to drive as long as we could stay awake, stop and sleep a while, and then resume until we ended up in Austin.

Bambi had other ideas.

About 50 miles east of St. Louis, we came upon a deer, standing next to the road. Greg swerved to go around it, and had it stayed standing still, this story would end here. BUT as luck would have it, the damned thing started running... right into the side of the car! The deer's head nearly came through the BRAND NEW windshield, and with the rest of her body, she caved in the driver door and fender, and crushed the left side mirror. The windshield shattered and glass shards covered the cabin.

There's a lot to this that could just piss me off and ruin my day for the next several weeks, but I feel lucky in several respects. First, it was a female and not a male; a rack of antlers would have impaled some part of Greg's face. Second, none of the glass shards got into anyone's eyes. Third, I wasn't too far to take the car back to Larry for more of his magic (we used clear tape to hold the windshield together long enough to limp it back to Chicago), and last but most importantly, no one was hurt... This was a HUGE deer, well old enough to know better than to walk out in front of cars

I know you all want pics, and though there will be better ones later, I'll post the ones we took last night. In one pic, there is a shadow that makes it look as if one panel is a different shade of red, but I wanted to make it clear that Larry matched it perfectly; it REALLY is a shadow...

More daylight pics to follow, but here they are:

P.S. I don't know if the damned deer died... we didn't go back to look and express our condolences to the family!
Old 11-02-2001, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes it just ain't meant to be. Sorry about the car, but glad everyone is OK, with the possible exeption of the culprit. I had a car totalled by a deer that ran into the side of me in a similar circumstance years back. Now, all I can say is, you never know where they will go, so when you see one, watch out!
Old 11-02-2001, 10:30 AM

Holy crap Sondra!

Sorry to hear the bad news...
Old 11-02-2001, 10:38 AM

You know deer steak and deer soup (with some chinese medicine seasoning) and many many other dishes stired fried with spring onions and some garlics, and ginger ..... really good for the cold weather ...... j/k

Glad you 2 are okay, its more nerve wrecking to know the ppl I've met are involved in an accident like this. The good thing is knowing your car is in good, skilled hands you trust. Hope you get her back soon.
Old 11-02-2001, 10:39 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, it was freaking crazy...the mf'ing deer was just more or less standing on the side of the road...with his front legs maybe just on the inside of the yellow line on the inside lane. I was able to swerve around it and had it stayed still, it would have been no problem. But the mf'er decided to jolt out to the right instead - something that I didn't see it do, so that's why it was even more of a shock when its head hit the windshield. The thing that struck me was the sound it made when it hit the windsheidl...it was like an explosion! I got a couple pieces of small glass in my mouth and we both got little cuts, but nothing major at all. Scared the little crapski out of me...especially since it took place 1 1/2 feet away from my face!

If it had decided to jolt just before it did, it would have been in front of the car and we may have very well have had deer guts all over the inside of the car, and maybe some deer legs poking into some very uncomfortable places. That would have been a different story altogether!

First time I ever hit a deer...hopefully the last. It was one of the craziest things ever...and Sondra's bloodcurdling scream didn't help either!
Old 11-02-2001, 10:41 AM

Sondra-

Wow, gosh damn that sucks. Sorry to hear about your mishap. I'm very glad to know that you and Greg are ok Could have been a lot worse. I was driving up to NY to see my GF a few years ago. It was 2am and a deer jumped out on the highway and nearly totaled the car in front of me. Bambi can do this sometimes!

At least you weren't tooooooo far away from Larry's place when it happened. Larry was probably like "what the hell happened??.....all that work that I did!".

I'm sure his guys will fix it up right again. Does your insurance cover?
Old 11-02-2001, 10:42 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys...we're taking the car back to Larry right now. Then we start drinking heavily!

Insurance will cover it, btw...

We're outta here till later!

Old 11-02-2001, 10:48 AM

Just be sure to marinate it first but, as I've said before,

"Consumption is the best revenge."
Old 11-02-2001, 11:04 AM

Where's a pic of the dear?
Old 11-02-2001, 11:15 AM

damn man....i'm my way to work i always see dead deer carcasses all over the shoulder of the road and i know if one came my way it would serious damage to the s2k....that's some hard luck...sorry to hear about it sondra

Quick Reply: Epic tale of death and destruction