S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Even brighter front high beams

Old 03-25-2002, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Even brighter front high beams

Well today I was almost run off the road because some idiot in a older vw thought that I was high beaming him to get out of the fast lane. I flashed my front highs to show him that they werre indead on the low setting but to no avail.

This has happened to me several times, so I have made up my mind. I would like to midify the front high beams with those ultra bright whites that all the little civic's have running around/ or even better do a HID conversion for the highbeams. I don't think that this is possible though.

Has anybody done this, is it even legal, and where would I go to get brighter bulbs for the front high beams.
Old 03-25-2002, 10:17 PM

even brighter than HID's?
Old 03-25-2002, 10:25 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

HID highs is possible, but not practical. HID's take a while to arc up so they can't be flashed. Someone online has them. Search for Philips HID High beams.

But don;t you think you ight be going the wrong way with this? People get upset so you intend to give them something to be upset about! And in a country with liberal gun laws.

Maybe try adjusting your HID's down a bit. You may not light up so much of the road, but you may also avoid getting run off the road.
Old 03-25-2002, 10:25 PM

Hi Storm-

I'm in the San Diego area too- no one flashes me or gets mad when I drive at night- yet. Maybe your beams came adjusted too high; a common occurrence, if I'm not mistaken. There should be a distinct "cut off" in the left panel of light as it appears on the pavement. This is the "notch" that is supposed to keep the low beam out of the opposing drivers eyes.

You're right about the high beams being kind of wimpy. compared to the lows. I'll let other members comment on changing them over to HIDs. I'm leaving mine stock-- good luck.

RB
Old 03-26-2002, 04:29 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I added 100watt bulbs and the highs are less whimpy.
Old 03-26-2002, 04:43 AM

May I suggest...

www.rallybulbs.com

or

www.powerbulbs.com

You need size H1. The 110W rally bulbs that are illegal for on road use are very nice...
Old 03-26-2002, 06:24 AM

I have already lowered the lights twice. I don't want to lower them anymore because my own safty is starting to come into play, I can already almost out drive the lights. To tell you the truth it is probably my style of driving that pissis people off. I drive very very fast and I would imagine that it is more then likely the undulation in the freeways that is causing what they percieve as flashes. I can only guess what will happen when I install my new 18's and lower the car in the next week. But it would be helpful to have brighter lights anyway. I will look into thoses rally lights, I might want to use them on my porsche if anything whicih has the worst lights in the history of sports cars.
Old 03-26-2002, 08:37 AM

storm,
have you checked if the dealer left spring spacers in your car?
Old 03-26-2002, 10:11 AM

Trust me they are not there. I know exactly what I am looking for and have had the car on the lift numorous times.
Old 03-26-2002, 11:15 AM

Ugh@Responses. Yes, it's been done. Do a search as I don't remember who did it. Somoene put hyper whites in as their high beams...which match the HID white, as oppposed to the yellow-ish highbeams. If I remember correctly the brand and part numbers were posted.

Quick Reply: Even brighter front high beams