S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

exhaust conundrum...

Old 05-04-2006, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust conundrum...

I have searched soo many threads and video clips, but nothing is like asking person to person.

I've been searching for and exhaust and it's been becoming the biggest decision since I've had the car! There are sooo many companies out there who have exhaust systems available and they all have their own style and performance.

I am a person who believes in paying for quality, but I am also a person who believes in paying over 1500 bucks for an exhaust for a Honda is insane.

I've searched a couple sites, modacar.com , optauto.com, mvpmotorsports.com and aj-racing.com

I've found that the JIC Magic ST looks pretty good for a fair price, (I like the look of a single) and Invidia looks good too (but it seems that it is the most popular).

I'm just posting because I would appreciate some feedback, all comments are welcome, but I HAVE SEARCHED, I just want some input.

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2006, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It really depends on what kind of sound you want from the car. You mentioned the JIC and Invidia--are there any others you're considering? Do you care whether or not it's a single vs. dual? Do you care about how loud it is (the invidia is extremely loud)? My best advice would be to meet up with some local owners (if possible) and hear them in person...
Old 05-04-2006, 04:40 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had an Invidia for a couple of years. It is loud, but the drone is the worst, IMHO. It was especially bad between 3-4k rpm...I would either drive above or below that rpm range it was so bad.

I now have a T1R 63mm from AJ-Racing and it is like night and day. Almost no drone...actually quiet when cruising (just loud enough to let you know it is there)...but a screaming banshee at WOT. It is a single and relatively light.

If you must have a dual, then I've heard good things about the T1R Sparrow.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:31 AM

negcamber,

how much was your T1R? do you have any pics? soundclips?
Old 05-05-2006, 12:18 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

If you want it loud,get a single;TIr is good.
If you want a quiet dual,get a Fujitsobo.
I have a Comptech,but would love a Supersprint.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:54 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Sr2oD3,May 5 2006, 08:31 AM
negcamber,

how much was your T1R? do you have any pics? soundclips?
Check aj-racing.com...I bought mine as part of a group buy that included a test pipe. I seem to recall it was in the $700-$800 range. You can call to see if A&J has any kind of special deal going for a similar set up. Note they now also sell a 70mm (which is supposed to produce more power...it's more expensive, but I'd have gone with this if it had been available)...but may be louder...haven't heard one in person to give a comparison opinion.

I don't have a sound clip...and honestly, you can't tell much from a sound clip anyway. When I first was looking at the Invidia, I listened to the sound clip...sounded sweet, but living with it is another thing. Best thing you can do is meet up with some other S2k owners that have different exhausts and listen first hand...from inside the car (everyone says my exhaust is hella loud from the outside...it isn't from the inside). Actually, you might want to wait long enough to come to the Southeastern Super Meet just east of Knoxville in June. Probably every aftermarket exhaust made will be there. You can listen to a variety and decide which one you like best.

Only photo I have of the tail of the car is from Killboy:

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.d...02F0013KIWAORSP

The exhaust looks very understated. If you want to buy an exhaust based on looks...well this ain't it. It does deliver performance however (which is most important to me).
Old 05-05-2006, 05:10 PM

Ok, you have mentioned that you like the look of a single so I am assuming that you like a very loud exhaust, is that correct?
Old 05-05-2006, 06:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the Comptech and think it's great. The honda techs at the dealership couldn't believe how well it fit when they installed it. Great company - racing heritage and they really stand behind their products.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by negcamber,May 4 2006, 08:40 PM
I had an Invidia for a couple of years. It is loud, but the drone is the worst, IMHO. It was especially bad between 3-4k rpm...I would either drive above or below that rpm range it was so bad.

I now have a T1R 63mm from AJ-Racing and it is like night and day. Almost no drone...actually quiet when cruising (just loud enough to let you know it is there)...but a screaming banshee at WOT. It is a single and relatively light.

If you must have a dual, then I've heard good things about the T1R Sparrow.
I went from a T1R63 to an invidia primarly because of looks. I couldnt stand looking at the empty cutout on the left side of the bumper anymore. Anyway, I felt the t1r droned more than the invidia though Did you have a test pipe when you had the invidia? I ended up keeping mine when I sold the t1r.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:27 PM
Former Moderator

[QUOTE=tabach0y273,May 5 2006, 11:07 PM] I went from a T1R63 to an invidia primarly because of looks.

Quick Reply: exhaust conundrum...