S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Feedback needed re: Rick's windscreen!!!!

Old 02-07-2001, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have purchased, but not yet installed a 7/8ths tinted Rick's windscreen. Shortly after people started to receive them I heard a few isolated reports about the screen vibrating wildly at speed. Now that many of you have installed and tested the screens, I need your feedback before I disassemble my stock screen.

I am about 6' tall, so the stock screen is almost useless for me.

1. Will the 7/8 screen provide more wind reduction?

2. Will the things wobble around incessantly at speeds of 90+ (where I spend most of my time )?

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-07-2001, 12:26 PM

I have a full size windscreen and it does vibrate noticably at high speeds (60mph plus). Also I have noticed that it makes a very mildly squeaky noise and the base (honda's windscreen bracket) tends to start lean forward (and no i did not install it to bend forward).
Old 02-07-2001, 01:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In our experience (James Mullins, Sam Friedman, and I) the "vibration" is an oscillation of about 1/8 to 3/8" which you don't notice unless you look back at the screen while you're driving, a practice we don't recommend . Ours do not make any noise, although we've not done much testing over 90 mph (but some up to that speed).

I suspect that if the mechanism has not been tightly reassembled and properly glued back together it may account for the noise some people hear. It's easy to re-attach the mechanism to the compartment cover without being aware that the nuts are not fully tightened on the threaded screws.
Old 02-07-2001, 03:08 PM

My experience has been very good with the full height windscreen. I have been at varying speeds with the top down, including over 100mph, and yes there is some oscillation, but no noise. I really paid attention to all the details in the excellent instruction manual and I got some HEAVY duty claps to ensure that the screen went back together tightly. My only concern would be whether, with wear, the oscillation eventually becomes worse.

I am currently working on a fix (I have failed a couple times, but I have a few ideas that could pan out). I will let you know if I find a workable and cosmeticly appealing solution.
Old 02-07-2001, 03:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Humanatek,

Let us know if your fix works. James and I can't get to this until the weather gets a bit warmer and better here in the frigid Northeast.

As soon as we get some warmer weather, will work on a fix, even though the oscillation doesn't bother us at all, since we only notice if we turn around to look at the windscreen.

Rick
Old 02-07-2001, 04:29 PM

I have the 7/8s screen which has been installed for probably 6-8 weeks. In the last couple of weeks I've noticed that same problem as someone else mentioned, namely, the "ears" on either side have loosened and the screen rattles inbetween the loosened plastic ears.

I haven't had time yet to take the screen off again and use some more silicone caulk to fasten the screen to the ears, so I don't know whether that will solve the problem or not.

Other than that, the screen is great! It does vibrate more and more the faster you go, but I didn't really find it noticeable and/or objectionable until the ears started to come apart.
Old 02-07-2001, 04:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Tom is right. I'm convinced the ears are the problem, especially since the first tab attachment point in the mechanism is, as I recall, an inch or two below the top of the ear. The leverage of the taller screen, I'm sure, puts more stress on the ears and loosens them over time if they're not solidly glued together.

I've concluded now that we need stronger glue, say, epoxy. I have to take mine apart anyway (the ears came loose when I tried to raise the top with the screen down, foolish me), so I'm going to epoxy the whole thing together and make it drum tight. I'll report the results after it's all done.
Old 02-08-2001, 04:00 AM

I just put my 7/8 tinted screen back together last night. It took about an hour to (carefully) pull the 2 halves apart and then just a few minutes to swap screens. I went to Home Depot and purchased several spring clamps and clear 100% silicone bathroom/kitchen caulk as Rick suggested. I filled in all the slots (4 rect and 2 round) with silicone, then put the other half of the clamshell on and clamped it down real tight with 2 clamps on the base and 1 on each ear. I'm letting it sit 24 hrs until I get home from work tonight.

I'll be driving it tonight and tomorrow on the highway with the top down and the new "Rick screen" in place, so I will try and report back my impressions.
Old 02-08-2001, 05:09 AM

I bought some epoxy. I'll report after some highway tests. Anyone try drilling the ears right through the screen an installing a small machine screw and nut. Probably wouldn't look good.
Old 02-08-2001, 07:52 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by VA S2K
[B]I just put my 7/8 tinted screen back together last night.

Quick Reply: Feedback needed re: Rick's windscreen!!!!