S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Finding an AP1 facelift, LHD for import to Canada

Old 05-18-2018, 08:24 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

AP1 and AP2 are engines, not chassis. There is no place in the VIN for an "engine code" so Honda stuffed it in the digits usually used for the chassis. Honda tweaked the chassis every two years and didn't do more than change the model year in the VIN. Only North America and (later) Japan got the AP2 engine, the rest of the world never got more than the AP1.

All markets got the "facelift" body and suspension changes the same year (2004) but only North America got the "big" AP2 engine and, since North America was the principal market we called the cars AP2s. No confusion. Not America. Model year remains the defining element. But it's so kool to write AP1 and AP2 (I guess).

I appreciate power. Where it comes matters a lot in the car's performance. 9000 tach is fluff in this respect.

-- Chuck
Old 05-18-2018, 09:16 AM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
AP1 and AP2 are engines, not chassis. There is no place in the VIN for an "engine code" so Honda stuffed it in the digits usually used for the chassis. Honda tweaked the chassis every two years and didn't do more than change the model year in the VIN. Only North America and (later) Japan got the AP2 engine, the rest of the world never got more than the AP1.

All markets got the "facelift" body and suspension changes the same year (2004) but only North America got the "big" AP2 engine and, since North America was the principal market we called the cars AP2s. No confusion. Not America. Model year remains the defining element. But it's so kool to write AP1 and AP2 (I guess).

I appreciate power. Where it comes matters a lot in the car's performance. 9000 tach is fluff in this respect.

-- Chuck
Chuck, again, I think you have it wrong: the AP1 and AP2 are indeed chassis codes, not engine codes. The engine codes are F20C and F22C1.

As far as the power is concerned, I could just as easily turn it around and say that I appreciate developing the skills required to take advantage of the torque provided in the upper reached of the powerband. This only increases my enjoyment of the awesome gearbox in these cars. Similarly, one could call increased torque down low a handicap device for those who don't have the skill to take advantage for the power that is available in these cars as they come stock. That would strike me the same as calling 9000 RPMs on tap to be simply "fluff". Neither statement holds much value to me, either you like the way the S2000s come from the factory in any give year model or you don't. You can change any of them up to your liking if you so desire. That's simply a matter of personal preference. You obviously have yours, and that's fine. But to knock the characteristics of the F20C as fluff strikes me as simply antagonistic. For many, the driving experience presented by the F20C engine epitomizes what the true "sports car" experience is all about. Obviously your mileage (or enjoyment in this case) might vary.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:51 AM

If AP1 and AP2 are chassis codes why are there no AP2 cars other than North America (and later, Japan)? Every EU and UK car has AP1 in their VIN regardless of model 'cuz they have the "small" engine. We know it ain't the chassis as they're all the same.

I'll leave the discussion of what the true "sports car" experience may be to others. Heck, some folks think Miatas are sports cars...

-- Chuck
Old 05-18-2018, 12:53 PM

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts

You'd have to import one from LHD european country. Germany, Italy, France, Spain, etc.

There are plenty for sale but are you willing to go through the hassle of pre purchase inspection, export and import paperwork?
Old 05-18-2018, 01:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chuck, I think you're being obtuse at this point...
Old 05-19-2018, 04:53 AM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

Wikipedia has the answer regarding this debate, have a peek. Sorry Chuck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_S2000
Old 05-19-2018, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Orjinal
You'd have to import one from LHD european country. Germany, Italy, France, Spain, etc.

There are plenty for sale but are you willing to go through the hassle of pre purchase inspection, export and import paperwork?
This pretty much gets to the heart of the matter. If the OP hasn't already done so, I'd recommend trying to drive an AP1 local to you if possible as you might find it to be all that you need. You could always try to find an AP2 to try to get an idea of how the other changes impact the handling, etc.. If you still want to import a LHD AP1 Facelift car after that experience (or if you just absolutely know that's what you want at this point,) then try to act sooner rather than later because it seems that prices are not going to get any lower for these cars and that trend would seem to be a universal one as I've skimmed a few overseas publications with S2000 articles that note as much.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:43 PM

Obtuse? Me? Wikipedia? Please I'm laughing too hard! Anyone, even you or me, can create or edit a Wikipedia article. Submit Wikipedia as a source to a professional publication (or even a highschool theme) and don't be disappointed when it's rejected. May as well quote Curated Content. I fully acknowledge it's convenient to refer to 2004 and later US cars as AP2s. We do it routinely here (based on our arrogant USA bias).

Are you willing to admit the "Chassis" Code only changed when the engine changed in the US and Japan? Should as it's indisputable. Ummm, maybe it's really an engine code.

-- Chuck
Old 05-19-2018, 03:17 PM

Chuck, I would agree that Wikipedia is not always the most reliable source of information. If you have a reputable online resource (or page references from Honda factory documentation) that you can point to that supports your claims, then that’s cool by me. I was trying to prevent the spreadi of misinformation that you’ve spewed here numerous times. I’m not sure why you like to go on and on with things like quoting the wrong specs when it comes to the redlines and rev limits of the two engines. It’s not helpful to anyone, especially not to someone who is considering buying one of these cars for the first time.

If I’m wrong about the chassis codes then I’d like to know. I plan to do some fiurther digging on my own and will gladly post up if I find some information indicating orherwise. I’d just like to see the correct information make it’s way on to the forum. I have no idea what your agenda is, but it seems that you have some sort of insecurity over owning an “AP2” car (whether you consider that to be a chassis code, an engine code, or none of the above).
Old 05-19-2018, 03:26 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

I would like to see a source for his reason as well, I did post a source even if it is not always reliable. The resource list for that page is listed at the bottom and looks pretty substantial but you never know.

Cheers guys!

Quick Reply: Finding an AP1 facelift, LHD for import to Canada