S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

First ride!

Old 10-15-2000, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I met up with someone I met over H-A.net today (he goes to my school as well), and he took me to my first autocross, and also my first ride in the S2K as well. Some thoughts:

The seats are very comfortable, and I was concerned that I wouldn't be tall enough for the car (I'm 5'8.5'' that half inch counts!), but the car fit me perfectly!

The low-end too slow? Not even close. The first time he opened it up into VTEC though, man the sound of that engine is pure bliss! I didn't really notice a change at the engagement point, but just the overall sound of it was amazing!

After sitting in the driver's seat, I understood what everyone meant when they said the car is really biased towards the driver. The seating and driving position are perfect for someone of my height.

For some reason, I didn't find the speakers to be as horrible as other people said...they weren't great, but bearable.

He grinded once when I was in the car, and it was on a regular shift...he's getting it fixed though.

I was allowed to ride as a passenger during one of the runs of the autox...man I never had any idea that cars could be tossed around like that. A few times it felt like the tail was going to completely spin out on him, but never did.

Overall, the car was more than I expected...and I didn't even get to drive it yet! I'm very very sold that this is THE car for me, and now the wait is just that much harder . Can't wait to be an actual owner!

Jay
Old 10-15-2000, 04:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like another addict in the making! I love to hear that kind of story, Jay. It reminded me of a couple of months ago when Rick Hesel came to Chicago. I had just gotten back from a track day a day or two before so the S2000 looked like it had been through a war! Especially since I lost it into the grass on turn 11 at Gingerman, so needless to say, there was lots of dirt and grass in the car. And I needed new brakes, so the poor car was not a happy camper.

Anyway, I picked him up downtown in my 4Runner and we came back to my place to check out the car. I took him out for a spin up and down Lake Shore Drive. I could sense the terror/fear/excitement in his mannerisms! It was hilarious...it was a white-knuckled journey that he won't soon forget! hehe

Well, cool story...get that car soon!
Old 10-15-2000, 04:31 PM

Actually, he mentioned something about Gingerman...I didn't pay too much attention (plus with the wind it was difficult to hear), but he said that if he's around next year, he'll take me with him. Apparently autox is nothing compared to track time...after this experience, it's hard just to concentrate on my work, I find my mind drifting off all the time! Only a couple more months...

Jay
Old 10-15-2000, 04:40 PM

Track time has that sky-dive life risking factor that autoX doesn't. Hard to imagine death in a car at an autoX event. (now, as a course worker, that's a different story!)
Old 10-15-2000, 04:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greg,

You bet! My knuckles were white again today with Sam_S2K: 90mph on a twisty country road that I would go 60 in my Millenia, thinking that it was fast. But Lake Shore Drive in traffic is something else again. BTW, Sam pulled off the air intake cover just to let me hear the difference in sound. It was music to my ears. Who cares about the damned stereo when you have a sound like that?

I just can't believe this car! A fantastic ride just for the passenger.

Rick
Old 10-15-2000, 05:01 PM

Even though the car is focused on the driver, the passenger definitely has a great ride. I would think that anyone who really loves cars would love the sound of that engine...it's truly unreal.

Jay