S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Front bumper bottom edge protection.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front bumper bottom edge protection.

So we all know that many curbs are higher than the bottoms ("chins") of our front bumpers. It's real easy to "bung up" the chin on the S2k. Here's a quick and cheap way of providing some protection. Pep Boys sells a self-adhesive, trapizoid-profiled black plastic/rubber molding that is about 1/2" wide. Just apply this on the very bottom edge of your front bumper, wheel well to wheel well. Then, the curb "hits" damage primarily this molding, which costs about $11 for enough to install on your front "chin" twice. When the molding gets messed up, tear it off and throw it a way, and replace it with a new one. Oh, you still may get scars on the underside of your front chin --- but someone has to crawl around REALLY low to see them. The lower edge of front bumper is protected.

Hope this helps,
Richard
Old 08-10-2006, 05:04 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Hi Richard,do you have any pics???
Old 08-10-2006, 05:21 PM

Now Emil:

You know I'm too old and stupid to be able to post pics on this board. In this case, they would not show much, anyway. Just imagine a black, 1/2" wide strip around the front bottom portion of your front bumper, running from wheel well to wheel well, and you've got it!

BTW, you can get much the same thing in a chrome finish, but it shows "curb scars" much more and much more quickly.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 08-10-2006, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good idea,

does the moulding leave any scratches on the spoiler when you take it off?
Old 08-10-2006, 05:40 PM

willanthen:

My s2k does not have a spoiler, but I can tell you that it leaves no markes on the bottom of the stock front bumper. When removing the strip, you just have to use a little bug and tar remover to get off any adhesive that may have stuck to the front bottom edge of the bumper. Them I use a bit of glass cleaner on it to make sure I'm not attaching the new strip over any wax. Works great, with no problems.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 08-12-2006, 04:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info,

i should have learned early when i hit a curb at the honda dealer when i first drove a used one!!!!!!!!! Right by the area where all the salesmen were on point and smoking. It made me feel like a real idiot.

When I first got mine I remembered to look out for curbs, but the first night i still misjudged and put a small rash on the bumper. I had wondered about using some type of clip on moulding, but I wasn't aware of the stick on type.

willinathen
Old 08-12-2006, 07:27 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Not sure if this is similar - a member here got this from a vendor years ago - look at the bottom of his bumper and you can see a black strip - pretty tasteful way to protect it imo. Does this look like the Pep Boys thing?

Too big to post here - http://www.ibiblio.org/mcarroll/s2000/even...es/page_37.html
Old 08-12-2006, 01:31 PM

As far as I can see from the pics, this looks exactly like the "Pep Boys thing." And, I'll just bet that there are many parts stores and outlets that sell a similar kind of self-adhesive, thin black plastic/rubber strips that would look and work just as well.

The good thing about these is that they are cheap, disposable, and replaceable, and do a god jub of protecting the front bottom edge of the bumper from low speed "curb impacts."

Thanks,
Richard
Old 08-12-2006, 06:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice idea, thanks.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:26 PM

Received 240 Likes on 195 Posts

[QUOTE=Saki GT,Aug 12 2006, 07:27 AM]Not sure if this is similar - a member here got this from a vendor years ago - look at the bottom of his bumper and you can see a black strip - pretty tasteful way to protect it imo.

Quick Reply: Front bumper bottom edge protection.