S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Front Bumper Protector or Destroyer

Old 06-25-2002, 12:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Front Bumper Protector or Destroyer

I just put this on friday and was really happy with the way it looked and covered up the underneath of the plastic bumper which was pretty scratched already after 3 months of ownership. Today however i barely touched a wooden parking block and the metal protector was twisted and tweaked. It would have ripped the plastic bumper probably if this happened by one of the attachment bolts but luckily it happened in the middle between 2 bolts. Well this would've been just another barely visable scratch on the lower plastic but instead the protector is ruined ($100) and the bumper was almost really damaged. I now think that anything attached to the flexible bumper should also be just as flexible. Am i being fair? What do u think? Obviously this piece protects against rolling very slowly directly into something but if it's gonna get snagged watch out.
Old 06-25-2002, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. hmmmm....
Old 06-25-2002, 03:41 PM

Thanks,
I was gonna get one of those things because I scratched up my blue suszuka '02.
Now maybe I'll waite a while, see what else is available.
Old 06-25-2002, 06:17 PM

I received my bumper protector twisted, and I just rebent it back to straight. You may be able to do the same. If not, then maybe there was a little too much speed going into that piece of wood? I've touched parking blocks, curbs and such with the protector at parking speeds, and have yet to experience such a problem. Maybe its just bad luck that the piece you hit was a little too high.
Old 06-25-2002, 06:17 PM

I received my bumper protector twisted, and I just rebent it back to straight. You may be able to do the same. If not, then maybe there was a little too much speed going into that piece of wood? I've touched parking blocks, curbs and such with the protector at parking speeds, and have yet to experience such a problem. Maybe its just bad luck that the piece you hit was a little too high.
Old 06-25-2002, 06:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think about the pros/cons of what could happen. But then since it looks so nice that throws it over the top: I like it.
Old 06-25-2002, 08:29 PM

rossmon1

I had that same problem with the billet aluminum splitter I put on the front of mine to protect the front lip. As the splitter is strong enough and won't bend or flex, the nose piece absorbs the impact causing the top part of the nose piece to pull away from where it joins the hood and fenders. I asked in a thread about 2 months ago if the protectors/splitters could be designed with slots instead of just holes where the protecter is attached to the bottom of the nose piece. That way the slots would allow the protector to be pushed backward some and absorb the shock of hitting a parking block or curb without affecting the nose piece itself. One would then just re-adjust the protector as needed. This has been done with similar devices on other cars. When I first had my splitter put on and I bumped a curb and saw some movement in the nose piece itself, I about tore the splitter off right then, but didn't. When I put this question about slots instead of holes to attach the splitter/protector onto the car as a thread, I don't think I got a single comment.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-25-2002, 09:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

the wooden parking curb hit the protector just right to twist it downward, i don't know if the slots would've helped and to reply to someone else it wasn't a question of going too fast i was going anally slow! maybe i needed some more toilet paper I am starting to think that some of these devices aren't tested quite as throughly as an oem thing might be and metal is the wrong material to be attaching to plastic. A plastic piece for $29.95 lets say that could be tossed after a few to many "protections" might be a better way to go.
Old 06-25-2002, 11:06 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rossmon1
[B]the wooden parking curb hit the protector just right to twist it downward, i don't know if the slots would've helped and to reply to someone else it wasn't a question of going too fast i was going anally slow! maybe i needed some more toilet paper
Old 06-25-2002, 11:15 PM

Sue the seller!!! You are in America!!!

Quick Reply: Front Bumper Protector or Destroyer