S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Future S2000 Owner Needs HUGE Help - Facts/Ideas.

Old 12-09-2004, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Future S2000 Owner Needs HUGE Help - Facts/Ideas.

Hello and thanks for whoever is reading this to come help me out. I'm researching many cars and still debating on lots but the S2000 has always caught my eye. I love the looks and pricing isn't too bad on them either. Straight 2 seater with the drop top is another big plus for me as well. Also 6 speed and rear wheel drive rocks too. Here's my question's to you guys... I plan on doing a 2002 or 2003 since I can get an 02 for low miles around 20 grand or so at certain times on eBay around my area. I know a lot about stereo stuff and am going to do the body work/hood/body kit/etc, stereo, interior, wheels, brakes, etc. first before doing any motor work. but when I do do motor work, this is what is going to determine whether or not I will buy the car... when I do do motor work, I'm planning on doing everything 110% the first time around. Probably a stroker kit/sleeved/port & polish/pistons/rods the whole bit. All internals will be sent to swain tech for thermal coatings. the whole top and bottom end will be build by the best of the best that I can find. the tranny will be completely worked with either syncromesh or quaife if they make one for it or something of that nature, full kaaz or depending on who i do, LSD, upgraded rear differential/driveshaft, definitley upgraded clutch, etc. upgraded radiator, full fuel system, stand alone (not sure what kind or if i should go with that), huge front mount intercooler, oil cooler, every thing possible to get it "worked". not sure on what turbo yet or if i wanna get a kit or piece it all out. I wanna have a few maps set up so I can run low boost for daily driving and high boost very rarely but just so it's there when I need it. full brake upgrade's front and rear, all suspension and strut bars and all that good stuff. I'll spend all the money I need to get it dyno'ed by somebody who knows what they're doing and will do it correctly and who will do it right. it will only be driven in the spring/summer/early fall and stored for the winter. you must know that I'm extremely meticulous about things and am a perfectionist on everything as well. I doubt I'll ever really drag it or even take it to the track for that matter. I just want good torque and lots of power so when I'm cruising the streets I can punch it and it will be there. I will hardly ever redline it if ever either. I don't wanna hear "you dont need to do all that then if you aren't gonna drag it" cuz I wanna do it all anyways, that's just how I am. I wanna know how well it will hold up for my type of driving and I'll take it to get "inspected" by the tuner and a dyno run each year to make sure all my air/fuel and timing is correct as well. like I said I babied all my past cars. I used to have a WRX that ran low 13's/high 12's on high boost from the previous owner and only ran it on high boost for the 4 months of me owning it about 3 times most and never even redlined the thing and still loved it and just feeling the torque it had when I romped on it. Also I will be driving it in the rain, as long as it's not pouring out like crazy, does the top leak at all as long as the car has been taken well care of from the previous owner and whatnot? please if anyone has a high powered S2000 let me know your input and what you went through or any good tuners/installers your input/ideas/etc. as well. I was debating on this or a Supra or some other cars but I really want a newer car and not the hassles of an older car with potential rust, even starting to come through even on the undercarrige because it would bother me too much and I'd end up selling it. plus I hate the Supra's dashboard with a passion and am very fond of the S2000's looks and from what I read about it's handling it's a dream. thanks in advance!!! rcooney@nycap.rr.com is my email or PM me or just reply as well with any pics/advice/videos/information/phone numbers/contact info/anything to anyone that owns one that I could talk to about it or whatever would be great. thanks.

.Adam.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:03 PM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Old 12-09-2004, 01:09 PM

so I'll get that on this forum too? i don't need your opinion's or what you think looks cool and the whole "purpose" of the car is. I'm looking for facts and the answers to my question's please. if you are going to hate then please do it somewhere else.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:11 PM

I think you've pretty much answered your own question. As for the turbo, good luck- there are many veterans here who believe that the turbo is just a huge headache and definitely needs repect, time, and money to get it properly working. The Supra is an awesome car, my friend is pushing 420 whp on a stock block (they can take some serious psi- way out of league for an S2000). I haven't really seen MKIVs with rust issues as well. I agree that the Supra is a bit more clumsy in handling compared to our nimble S2000s, but that's nothing money can't fix. If you're running 11s with your WRX, I know that you are aware of potential pitfalls of boost syndrome (add a little more and BOOM!). Personally, I think your post is pretty self-explanatory of your intentions for the S- using it as a street boy racer. If you do take this route, you'll be disappointed for sure. There will EKs and EGs that'll be in your league when it comes to turbo and drag. Please keep your racing off the street and save yourself the trouble of wrecking a beautiful car with a beautiful racing heritage behind it.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:22 PM

I'm not using it for racing. I want the power to be there for when I need it and like I said I baby all of my cars anyways. It's gonna be my show car but that's how I want it built for me. No offense but that still didn't answer my question's. I know how well the supra motors are and how much they can hold and are one of the best motor's built. You can run them as a 10 second daily driver and beat the hell out of them all day long and never have problems as long as it's built right. I don't think that I'm "wrecking" the car by doing motor work to it? I'm not some stupid ricer kid that's gonna throw a 100 dollar wing on. I work hard and have the money to support it and am not just gonna make it look like a match box car. I'm gonna do everything to how I want it such as all carbon fiber interior pieces (yes true carbon fiber, I know of a company to send them the stock piece and they build you it from dry carbon fiber and give you the original mold as well), Bride Brix II leather seats with takata harness's, roll/harness bar for my harness's. still looking at body kits but I like the top secret one a lot, etc. i'm not just gonna hack the thing apart as many of you may think. please someone answer my question's that has a turbo'd S2K or a builder of these cars that has done them before and knows how they are? thanks.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:39 PM

if you need that power when you need it. then i recommend you go with a supercharger.

comptech or vortech. both are good. and there is a 23 page thread about the differences.

turbo's are not that very reliable some are. but very rarely. take lotta maint i really didn't feel like reading your 1 hour long post so i just posted on what i think you should do.

and if you want to go further. go with some 4.57 or 4.77 gears and exhaust and a test pipe w o2sensor. and maybe some 9psi pulley if you want toi get really crasy
Old 12-09-2004, 03:59 PM

I completely understand where you are coming from. I bought my supercharged s2k a few months ago for the same reaosn you are going to be doing with yours. I already feel the need for more power though. Say, what compnay makes the carbon fiber pieces? I might be interested in some of their work if the price is right. Personally, I would never drive our car in the rain with that much power...I never have and I hope I don't have to As for the turbo part, I would love to help you, but I need some teaching too!

-Matt
Old 12-10-2004, 04:04 AM

i hate superchargers and always will. i'll just ask the guy from evolution motorsports since he's done a 500+rwhp street s2000 and turbo'd a bunch since no one else can really answer my question. theres an article online w/ a guy that turbo'd his S2K and had full boost by 3,000 rpm's or such and I've never been a fan of superchargers at all, I'm all about turbo and have owned a turbo car before, I'm just curious on the reliability on the S. People who usually have problems are the ones that don't get it done by somebody who has done the work to that type of car before, or someone that half asses it, or someone who beats the piss out of their car, or all 4 reasons too. and Matt, I'll have to find the site again that does the carbon fiber pieces, the guy was super nice about it too, he was going to do my whole pocketbike fairings and all for 1,000 bucks and they have a ton of curves and holes, etc. in them. he did a bunch of NSX parts for a guy up in my area but I still havn't gotten a chance to see them yet. i know a lot of the people on this forum just from reading the posts are probably guys in their mid 30's or so that just like the feeling of a sports car with possibly some aftermarket wheels, etc. and nothing really motorwise so I probably wont get very far asking somebody who doesn't own a turbocharged s2000 but either way I'm still thinking of doing one because I think they're amazing cars, I still havn't driven one yet so I feel as when I do I'll know my real decision then. and PM me Matt, I'll get back to you later tonight after I get outta work with the website and number for the company.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:32 AM

[QUOTE=Game Over,Dec 9 2004, 01:25 PM]Hello and thanks for whoever is reading this to come help me out.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:44 AM

, you guys are too harsh

Quick Reply: Future S2000 Owner Needs HUGE Help - Facts/Ideas.