S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Gas mileage improved

Old 03-02-2005, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas mileage improved

My '04 S had second oil change late Nov 2004 with 7500 miles on odometer at a Honda dealer. After about 5-6 weeks and 2 fuel fill ups, I added 5oz of Valvoline SynPower Oil Treatment to the crankcase at gas station right after fill up and started engine and drove home. Until then, my gas mileage was about 20.5 MPG +/- 0.3 MPG, I had fairly low gas mileage because this is my daily car and the distance to work is only about 5 miles, and the gas mileage is worst until the engine is fully warm.

Reading BITOG for a while, they seem to like Valvoline SynPower Oil Treatment a lot, mainly because of very high count of Moly and this is the main ingredient different between the manufacture fill and over the counter conventional oil. Thinking that 1 bottle of 15 OZ Oil Treatment is $3.99 + tax can be used in up to three cars, 1 OZ Oil Treatment per quart oil, the cost for each oil change will increase by only $1.40, and it may help the engine. If it does nothing, I will loose $4.20 for one bottle, that why I decided to try it.

One thing I did not expect was to see improvement in gas mileage. The first fill up after adding SynPower Oil Treatment at the same gas station I got 22.8 MPG. I then reset trip-odometer B as I alway did, to see what will be the gas mileage for next fill ups. I got 22.3 MPG on second fill up and 23.2 MPG on third fill up. Nothing else had change for this S2000, same oil, same tire pressure, same air filter, same roads and similar driving conditions which is 90% city with an average speed of 25 MPH, 12 minutes for 5 miles each way. The first three tanks gave me an increase of about 10% in MPG.

Because of the improvement in fuel consumption in the S2000, I decided to try the Oil Treatment on '00 MB E430. I borrowed my brother inlaw the MityVac to suck the oil from the crankcase, poured in 8.5 quarts of Mobil 1, change the oil filter, nothing else was changed. The E430 has trip computer, I alway reset it every week to monitor the fuel consumption since about a year ago. Before then, I only reset twice a year to monitor fuel consumption in winter and summer. Either way, the gas mileage was between 18.3 MPG - 18.8 MPG with average speed of 28 MPH, to 18.5 MPG - 19.2 MPG with average speed of 29 MPH between filling gas weekly. For any week that the average speed went down to 27 MPH because of more red lights, the average fuel consumption went down to between 17.2 MPG to 17.8 MPG. I never had a tank with more than 19.5 MPG, except on long trips to Las Vegas or San Diego. The E430 is my wife daily driver with 80% city and 20% highway. The first fill up after oil change with Oil Treatment, the gas mileage went up to 19.8 MPG with average speed of 27 MPH, the improvement was much more than I expected.

I will keep track of gas mileage for both cars in the next several weeks, I will post results

Anybody want to verify the effect of Valvoline SynPower Oil Treatment to fuel consumption ? If you do, then you should keep track of fuel usages for atleast 3 tanks before using Oil Treatment and 3 tanks after. Remember that you should add Oil Treatment to the warm engine and drive the car immediately for several miles to mixing up the very thick Oil Treatment with your engine oil. Valvoline SynPower Oil Treatment does not available in my local Walmart, I bought it for $3.99 from PepBoys.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:18 PM

hmm, i'd be interested to hear what Road Rage's or any one else with a large background in oils and additives opinion would be. I would be interested not because of the MPG improvement but on the assumption that if you get better miledge then I'd guess friction or something else is easier on the engine allowing it to perform slightly better/easier. Anyone else who knows something wanna chime in?
Old 03-02-2005, 04:25 PM

My personal experience is that I got maybe a 5% improvement in mileage with a teflon treatment. I also got about a 5% improvement when I switched from mineral oil to Mobil 1 in two different cars.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:56 PM

No oil treatment of any sort should have ANY impact on mileage period. The change is most likely due to changes in driver behavior. You're not going to get ANY statistically significant result with it. Sorry to burst your bubble but it's true.... MPG varies...driver behavior has the most impact. I can easily get a +4MPG difference in fuel economy driving the same roads...

But where's the fun in that...
Old 03-03-2005, 09:12 AM

Gas mileage can be varied due to driver behaviors, traffic conditions, changes in weather ..., but this is my daily car and I tried not to change my driving behavior, to verify that this oil treatment does have some impart on gas consumption, after the first fill up following SynPower Oil Treatment added to the crankcase. Other factors such as traffic condition and weather did not change much the last 2 months in Southern California.

Before this oil treament, I never got less than 20.0 MPG or more than 21.0 MPG for any fill up of more than 30 times.

My wife E430 has similar narrow range of MPG for the last 5 years, regardless of oil viscosity in her car from 0W40 to 15W50.

Both cars has similar increase in MPG with SynPower Oil Treatment, this makes me think that it has some kind of friction modifier, moly maybe, such that the engines in both cars do not work as hard as before and therefore MPG of both cars increase.

It is hard to believe that a cheap oil treatment can do so much in improving the fuel consumption, that why I asked if someone willing to try it to verify my observation.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:51 AM

The problem is that even if you get someone else to try to repeat the results, it's still not going to work. You have to have a controlled experiement and this is anything but that. Too many variables for people to control.

Also I am 100% certain that Valvoline has run the experiments and that they have data to show that it DOES NOT have an appreciable, provable gain in gas mileage. If it did you would see it in their marketing info. It would be a huge coup for any oil additive to be able to actually improve fuel economy and would be a significant sales generator.

They don't market it as such because they don't have data that says it does(and I'm sure that they tried). No oil additive has yet been shown to have an appricable impact on fuel economy. Everyone that has made a claim to, has been forced to retract that claim by the government.

FYI I've run this for more than 1000miles this and see no impact in my fuel economy...
Old 03-03-2005, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD,Mar 3 2005, 10:51 AM
FYI I've run this for more than 1000miles and see no impact in my fuel economy...
Thanks for your observation about this oil treament.

I will keep track of gas mileage of both cars for the next several months. May be the longer period will tell a different story about fuel economy of both cars with this oil additive.