S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Getting her sideways!

Old 11-29-2014, 02:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Getting her sideways!

Ok. If your like me you like to push your s2000 often and sometimes you catch yourself with ur booty sticking out because its drifting away. Have you had any close calls, funny stories, or even a minor or major slap against the curb? Every time I ger my S sideways I tell myself I won't do that again but next minute there I go again driving her the only way I know how.....sideways!
Old 11-29-2014, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when its raining I cant help but whip the back end out every other turn. U turns all that good stuff as long as no other cars are around. or I just whip it safe distance lol. dont do high speed drifts (meaning like 3rd gear or higher) consequences seem very dire if that happens. I would love to go to a skid pad
Old 11-29-2014, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll do little powerslides here and there and maybe the occasional donut in an empty lot, but experience has taught me to be weary of curbs and corners in town lol.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I kept hearing how tail happy the AP1 was so when I got it and when it eventually rained I went to an empty area devoid of other cars and tested it out. I spun out on purpose a few times and eventually learned where the car starts losing grip in wet conditions so now you can say I'm pretty careful now when driving in the rain or wet roads.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only curbs are kerbs on the track.
Pushed it many times mostly with success and some spins and agricultural excursions.

Times are way down. Wont do it on the street, as a bit of gravel or anything else, can turn fun into a nightmare.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

Only once at other than low speeds.

Daydreaming, not concentrating at all, cruising home from town, one early afternoon, I was cruising at about the 100Km/H speed limit, around a 125Km/H uphill, but negatively cambered curve in my good country road. As I was cruising quietly, I was not ready for the tail to go for a quick slide, & was a little slow taking some lock off, & easing the throttle. The tail had gone a long way by the time I got serious about catching it.

By the time I had enough opposite lock on & enough throttle off, the little S entered into the spirit of the game, & flicked her tail back the other way. Once these tank slappers start, they can be hard to catch, but my old trained unconscious reflexes took over, & after a few slides either way, I had the tail doing what it was told again.

About this time, I noticed 3 cars coming the other way round the curve had their wipers on, & the road was becoming quite wet. These cars were not stopping or getting off the road, so my tank slapper could not have looked as bad from outside as it felt in the car.

I had been caught by a slightly damp road, on the edge of a rain shower, not wet enough to see, but enough for the car to react to. I had new Bridgestones on the back, & with just a couple of hundred gentle kilometres running, they may not have been fully bedded in, but it was probably just a freshly damp road being more slippery than a properly wet one.

It was pleasing to know I can still drive a bit, even if I'm a bit slow in my first reaction these days.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I like when you get on it hard out of a turn and can feel the car rotate and rear slide just a little. Then hook up and grip.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:11 AM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Be careful, it can bite your head off. Try and keep the sliding on the streets to a minimum. Sometimes it happens, but eventually it'll get you in trouble.

IMO the S2000 is a great drift car, but you really have to know what you're doing. It has zero forgiveness, lines need to be perfect and your throttle inputs need to be on point. Its steering is a little slow and it doesnt have the steering angle that you really need to call it a "drift" car. But those problems can be remedied quite easily. www.s2k-drift.com

powersliding might be easy, but learn to transition. ie, do figure 8's till you can do em blind folded, only then can you really "drive" the s2000. Imo, the proper way to drift the s2000 is without the handbrake.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPe5caP3WMo&feature=youtu.be[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZtFus-V-c4[/media]

My mods, K&n, and knuckles. Stock ap1 suspension. I drifted my car for a year before I installed the knuckles.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:19 AM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

if were just talking about a little sideways,

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9gnm6URZCk&feature=youtu.be[/media]

the car was everywhere due to the setup
saner set to full stiff 700lbs
205 new pair of z1's up front
195 all seasons in the back, they were the only tires i had with tread.
with ebc blue pads all round.

I once had the rear start giving out at 140mph around a turn, I held it, but it was scary scary scary.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SmokeyGatto
Be careful, it can bite your head off. Try and keep the sliding on the streets to a minimum. Sometimes it happens, but eventually it'll get you in trouble.

IMO the S2000 is a great drift car, but you really have to know what you're doing. It has zero forgiveness, lines need to be perfect and your throttle inputs need to be on point. Its steering is a little slow and it doesnt have the steering angle that you really need to call it a "drift" car. But those problems can be remedied quite easily. www.s2k-drift.com

powersliding might be easy, but learn to transition. ie, do figure 8's till you can do em blind folded, only then can you really "drive" the s2000. Imo, the proper way to drift the s2000 is without the handbrake.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPe5caP3WMo&feature=youtu.be[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZtFus-V-c4[/media]

My mods, K&n, and knuckles. Stock ap1 suspension. I drifted my car for a year before I installed the knuckles.
is your camera dangling by a rope? videos are almost unwatchable

Quick Reply: Getting her sideways!