S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Getting her sideways!

Old 11-30-2014, 04:08 PM

Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

Smokey Gatto said "IMO the S2000 is a great drift car, but you really have to know what you're doing. It has zero forgiveness, lines need to be perfect and your throttle inputs need to be on point. Its steering is a little slow and it doesn't have the steering angle that you really need to call it a "drift" car. But those problems can be remedied quite easily".

Wow that is interesting. I have never been interesting in "drifting", & never thought about it's requirements. As Fangio once said to a lady interviewer, who asked him how he put his car into a slide, "Madam I spend my entire time on the track preventing slides, not initiating them". Which form of motor sport you prefer probably gives a good indication of your birth date, more than anything else.

My only complaint about the S2000 is that the steering is too light, & too direct. I have thrown steering racks less direct than the S2000 rack out of Formula 1 & 2 cars, replacing them with slower racks, & reduced my & other drivers lap times by doing so. You can not drive to an inch at high speed, when a flex of a mussel puts on more road wheel deflection than required. I am quite sure the reason so many S2000s disappear backwards off the opposite side of the road to which the tail first slid, is that the overly direct steering causes less experienced rear wheel drive car drivers to put on far too much opposite lock, resulting in the fatal flick back.

I had wondered why Honda would do this in their car, & now I know. Drifting of course is a Japanese development, so their thinking must have been effected by that sport.

I can see exactly why very direct steering would suit "drifting", I wonder if the drifters can see how such direct steering is far too course in input, for finely controlled high speed cornering?
Old 11-30-2014, 04:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Old racer
Smokey Gatto said "IMO the S2000 is a great drift car, but you really have to know what you're doing. It has zero forgiveness, lines need to be perfect and your throttle inputs need to be on point. Its steering is a little slow and it doesn't have the steering angle that you really need to call it a "drift" car. But those problems can be remedied quite easily".

Wow that is interesting. I have never been interesting in "drifting", & never thought about it's requirements. As Fangio once said to a lady interviewer, who asked him how he put his car into a slide, "Madam I spend my entire time on the track preventing slides, not initiating them". Which form of motor sport you prefer probably gives a good indication of your birth date, more than anything else.

My only complaint about the S2000 is that the steering is too light, & too direct. I have thrown steering racks less direct than the S2000 rack out of Formula 1 & 2 cars, replacing them with slower racks, & reduced my & other drivers lap times by doing so. You can not drive to an inch at high speed, when a flex of a mussel puts on more road wheel deflection than required. I am quite sure the reason so many S2000s disappear backwards off the opposite side of the road to which the tail first slid, is that the overly direct steering causes less experienced rear wheel drive car drivers to put on far too much opposite lock, resulting in the fatal flick back.

I had wondered why Honda would do this in their car, & now I know. Drifting of course is a Japanese development, so their thinking must have been effected by that sport.

I can see exactly why very direct steering would suit "drifting", I wonder if the drifters can see how such direct steering is far too course in input, for finely controlled high speed cornering?
Ive always preferred the quicker steering ratio on the ap1. I use my car 99.9% of the time for street driving though. I never thought about a little less direct steering being easier to drive until your post. Good post.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dman8
Originally Posted by SmokeyGatto' timestamp='1417356662' post='23422023
Be careful, it can bite your head off. Try and keep the sliding on the streets to a minimum. Sometimes it happens, but eventually it'll get you in trouble.

IMO the S2000 is a great drift car, but you really have to know what you're doing. It has zero forgiveness, lines need to be perfect and your throttle inputs need to be on point. Its steering is a little slow and it doesnt have the steering angle that you really need to call it a "drift" car. But those problems can be remedied quite easily. www.s2k-drift.com

powersliding might be easy, but learn to transition. ie, do figure 8's till you can do em blind folded, only then can you really "drive" the s2000. Imo, the proper way to drift the s2000 is without the handbrake.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPe5caP3WMo&feature=youtu.be[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZtFus-V-c4[/media]

My mods, K&n, and knuckles. Stock ap1 suspension. I drifted my car for a year before I installed the knuckles.
is your camera dangling by a rope? videos are almost unwatchable
It added effect lol.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Y'all think the ap1 is tail happy? Shoot, drive an 02 Z06 in cool weather on summer tires. That car wants to kill you, like, a lot!
Old 11-30-2014, 09:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Swayse
Y'all think the ap1 is tail happy? Shoot, drive an 02 Z06 in cool weather on summer tires. That car wants to kill you, like, a lot!
lol, if the s2000 had that sort of power-to-weight ratio im sure it would be just as bad too
Old 12-01-2014, 02:07 AM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Old racer

very very very interesting. never thought about a correlation between drifting and age before!

So I'd be faster with a slower steering rack? I also track and autocross, drifting has been my "poormans" safety net. If my car pops out, i dont have to fear it. Hell, sometimes i play with it. I'll leave the "two feet in" at 100mph sideways for someone else to try... IMO, there are times that, that two feet in stuff can get you killed! I did 800+ track miles this year with at least 50 autocross runs and had zero "incidents". My car has 25% faster steering compared a normal ap1 and i truly think it kept me outta the walls. I dont even cross arms to take a 90 degree turn on the streets, in my car its about a quarter turn.

For me the faster steering allows me to correct the car faster and easier.(when driving the grip line) The more overall lock makes the car easy to catch "snaps". (never had a snap on the track, doing the grip line) But isnt a snap caused by lack of driver skill? Over correction, too much speed, lifting, getting on the brakes wrong, getting off the brakes wrong, sawing at the wheel? I always though "snap oversteer" was an excuse for running out of talent in a short wheel base car and not so much a steering attribute. I guess this is where things can get muddy, I dont like to pat myself on the back but I was blessed with really good hands, my inputs are very smooth. Am i just fast inspite of my setup?

As for drifting the s2000, lol. I'm kinda the only one in the states really, i have a friend in japan who drifted one, but even over there its few and far between. My guess is anyone who's ever tried to has either failed or disliked it and went on to something easier. Drifting the s2000 takes technique, and timing. Most US drifters rely on big power and fancy handbrakes. I've only heard of one other "drifting" s2000 he swapped in an rx7 hydraulic steering rack, but he couldnt drive, so it didnt do him any much good.

For some reason the drifters are stuck on the whole EPS thing and they refuse to believe that the steering doesnt get faster or lighter at speed. idk wth they're talking about.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...g-honda-s2000/
Old 12-01-2014, 03:46 AM

Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi Smokey, I'm talking high speed, something over 90 MPH. Across the top at Bathurst, where the undulations mean you are constantly on the edge of loosing first one end, then the other. In an F1 Brabham I would be continually easing steering lock by an inch or less, as the front drifted, to regain adhesion, then putting it back on to close back on line. This was in a car that DID require crossed arms for tighter corners on the track. In this type of motoring the only time you went near opposite lock, was after you'd lost it, just before you hit the wall, or just managed to claw off it.

I was actually looking for how much lock the current F1s use, & saw that crossed arms is not really quite enough for them round the hairpin at Monaco, so they are still using about the same rack ratios as we did back in the 60s.

I have found it fun to watch kids who have only driven modern very direct electric power steering cars, when they are given a drive of something like a 60s Ford Falcon, with 5 turns lock to lock. After putting on over 2 turns of lock for a tight turn, they have real trouble finding straight ahead again.

In my day, when F1 wheels had 5 studs, we had to do a race on the tyres we started with, so wheel spin had to be avoided. It was a sign of an incompetent driver. My son has always had a sneaky love for shredding tyres, & generating smoke, he just doesn't do it when I'm watching. Yep, age has a great deal to do with how we go motoring, as it should.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:44 PM

Had an 01 S2000. Was bringing it to a dealer to sign over the title and sell it to them, running a bit late so I was in a bit of a hurry. My tires were BALD - previous owner had slammed the car and totally ruined the tires. It was raining and I was driving like an idiot, went around a corner and then gunned it to speed up for the interstate merge and the entire back end whipped out from underneath me. I was about 5 feet from smacking the car into a cement wall while on the way to signing it over. Live and learn - learn the limits of your car before you drive like an ass
Old 01-20-2015, 12:15 PM

I CAN DRIFT AN S2K!
Old 01-20-2015, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by SmokeyGatto
Be careful, it can bite your head off. Try and keep the sliding on the streets to a minimum. Sometimes it happens, but eventually it'll get you in trouble.

IMO the S2000 is a great drift car, but you really have to know what you're doing. It has zero forgiveness, lines need to be perfect and your throttle inputs need to be on point. Its steering is a little slow and it doesnt have the steering angle that you really need to call it a "drift" car. But those problems can be remedied quite easily. www.s2k-drift.com

powersliding might be easy, but learn to transition. ie, do figure 8's till you can do em blind folded, only then can you really "drive" the s2000. Imo, the proper way to drift the s2000 is without the handbrake.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPe5caP3WMo&feature=youtu.be[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZtFus-V-c4[/media]

My mods, K&n, and knuckles. Stock ap1 suspension. I drifted my car for a year before I installed the knuckles.
nice vid that first one!! got some skills there son!

Quick Reply: Getting her sideways!