S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

got turned down for 1st oil change at dealer

Old 11-13-2007, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow got turned down for 1st oil change at dealer

like my topic says i got turned down for my first oil change today saying i should change it a little after 4000 miles around 4500 miles due to the car having break in oil... and telling me he doesnt want to hurt my car is this true?? right now i got 3000 and my oil seems kinda dirty... but the cars oil life displays 50% what should i do just get the oil change or listen to the dealer and go on for a thousand or so more miles?? never heard this before... my parents 4runner got its first change after 1000 miles because the dealer told them so... whos right?? is changing the factory oil too soon really bad?? someone help me out... THANKS!
Old 11-13-2007, 12:16 AM

break in oil is not the same as regular oil. you should wait till around 5K before u change it.. seriously. its not like you would just throw in synthetic when your motor comes off the factory line
Old 11-13-2007, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by ...,Nov 13 2007, 01:00 AM
telling me he doesnt want to hurt my car is this true?? right now i got 3000 and...
Other than high moly content, the factory fill is not some magical pixie dust. I changed mine way before 3k miles. My car gave good result's on a dyno, and it doesn't burn very much oil at all (I drive rather spirited every time I drive my car). My car is not a daily driver, and has 28k miles on it, most of which high spirited miles.

I think they mean well, but...changing your oil now will certainly NOT hurt a thing. An engine generates the most friction when brand new. I would prefer to utilize a very short oil change interval on a brand new engine to remove casting, and break-in material vs leaving that $hit in there for thousands of miles.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:51 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Follow your the maintenance schedule in your owner's manual.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by S2k Dude,Nov 13 2007, 04:51 AM
Follow your the maintenance schedule in your owner's manual.

Most likely, the oil from the factory is just normal every day, Non-Synthetic motor oil.

The molybdenum in the factory fill is what you would expect to find in any properly assembled motor...(Most assembly lube has a high moly content)

This also may be why your oil looks "kinda dirty".
Old 11-13-2007, 05:51 AM

i hate people like you who question suggestions that even SAVE you money from the dealership.... get it out of your mindset that they are out to get you man they DID NOT WANT TO CHARGE YOU FOR TELLING YOU THE TRUTH.

thats my rant for today
Old 11-13-2007, 06:44 AM

I changed mine at 5K with 10w30 mobile one. Make sure you get the right Honda PCX filter. No need to change it sooner.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The OM has a paraphrase that says " Do not change your oil before the suggested milage has be reached". This is not an exact wording but words to the same effect.
Taken literally by me , I changed the break-in oil at 5700.
Seventy-five percent of my milage was Interstate Hyw and I felt comfortable doing it this way.
If milage had be city stop and go, I probably would have changed it a little sooner because that would have made me a little more comfortable.
I'd assume that Honda's printed advise refers to averages that would be expected be average first time owners and this would be about 50/50 city/hyw.
Consider your own driving habits and adjust your first oil change on what makes you comfortable.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by armeN,Nov 13 2007, 09:51 AM
i hate people like you who question suggestions that even SAVE you money from the dealership.... get it out of your mindset that they are out to get you man they DID NOT WANT TO CHARGE YOU FOR TELLING YOU THE TRUTH.

thats my rant for today
Maybe he feels like the dealership is trying to play a quick one on him by saying to bring in back in a couple thousand more miles which at that time the oil has really started to break down and cause damage. Then obviously he'd have to bring it in to get serviced which the dealership will obviously get paid for.

He's a new owner and wants to be cautious, don't kill the guy.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dealer and oil life meter vs archaic belief that oil only lasts 3000 miles. you be the judge.

Quick Reply: got turned down for 1st oil change at dealer