S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Grand Canyon roadtrip in 10k mile AP2! (Pic heavy.)

Old 11-14-2015, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grand Canyon roadtrip in 10k mile AP2! (Pic heavy.)

Earlier this year, I rescued a one-owner 6,000 mile AP2. In the time that I've owned it, I've already doubled the mileage. Since purchasing it, I replaced the tires, battery, fluids, and clear-bra'd the front end. Other than that, it remains a fairly stock 12k mile car. After finishing the clear bra, I decided that a road trip was appropriate. I won't be living in this area for much longer (hopefully), and since I've never driving around this area much (I'm from the east coast), I decided it was a good time to see more of it. So I packed my bags, and a tent, and headed off to the Grand Canyon from south Texas.

Didn't want to take I-10, as there was nothing to see, so I planned my trip through Alpine, Marathon, and Marfa on the way to El Paso (9 hour trip). From El Paso, I would drive to the Grand Canyon through Magdalenda, NM (another 9 hour trip), and spend the night there at the Mather Campgrounds.

First thing was to get fuel, human fuel (Starbucks), check tire pressures, and get an alignment. I also placed a thick towel on my seat and sat on that to provide some more comfort, and prevent excessive wear to my seat from the long trip.

Packed a few things, and off I went!

Starting mileage...

Hitting the road...

Desolation in West Texas...

Some interesting old cars. I actually saw two rusted out 914s on this trip so far.

Marfa, Texas...

This was taken behind Prada Marfa. Must be an interesting story here...

Still driving to El Paso...

Heading into New Mexico...

Wishing I had a 7th gear...

Still on the road...

Magdalena, NM...

Pretty sure I've seen this site in movies...

Old 11-14-2015, 08:55 AM

Was hoping to see one...

Now in Arizona...

Navajo and Apache territory...

It was only free to see the wood, not to buy it. Pretty misleading...

Getting closer to the Grand Canyon. Kind of worried because there is some water on the roads, and I don't want to hit any ice while driving on Michelin Pilot Super Sports!

Finally made camp at the Grand Canyon. This is the morning after the bitterly cold night. I think a coyote or something was sniffing around my tent. Definitely heard a dog-like panting in the early morning. Also, I had some difficulty starting the car in the morning. I don't think my choice in oil is appropriate for 20 something degree weather. Other than that, the car is performing flawlessly.

And here it is, the Grand Canyon! So big. You really can't capture the size from a photo. And incredibly windy and cold still.

Stumbled upon this when I was leaving...

So great to see a flying Constellation!

But does it have VTEC??? Everything in this museum is airworthy. Very impressive.

Driving back to El Paso. This mountain never seems to get any closer to you.

The Marine in me got very excited to see this. Yut!

And right now, I'm still in El Paso. Taking the day off. Will return to south Texas tommorrow!
Old 11-14-2015, 08:57 AM

The drive home from El Paso was mostly cloudy and raining.

First casualty of the roadtrip...my windshield. Nice crack from a rock. Will have to get it treated this week.

Finally made it home! Ending mileage. Total driving mileage this trip: 2,599! Car behaved perfectly. Will do an oil change this weekend.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:07 AM

Received 1,615 Likes on 960 Posts

Had some great shots. Reminded me of my drive (years ago in a RX-7) from Beeville to Lemoore CA.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:43 AM

Received 196 Likes on 169 Posts

Looks like a great trip. Thanks for posting.

What's the back story on your car. Only 6,000 miles and it needed rescue?
Old 11-14-2015, 10:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like an awesome trip and loads of fun! I also salute you for being willing to sit for so many hours in the S2000!
Old 11-14-2015, 10:35 AM

The rescue comment was a bit tongue in cheek. The original owner is actually a really nice guy. But he never drove the car. It had never even been in the rain when I bought it. So while I take care of my cars, I tend to drive them a lot.

The long hours in the drivers seat aren't a problem. I had an audio book that I was listening to with earbuds. Made the time pass quickly.

The drive tomm may be interesting though because of severe thunderstorms. We'll see.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:27 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

cool photos! I did a grand canyon road trip myself with my wife but from san diego instead. We took the 15n to stay in vegas for the night and then dropped south to the grand canyon. It really is insane how deep and large the canyon is once you see it for yourself.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No picture can capture the size of the Grand Canyon. Its breath taking. Was there on business 2 years ago. Wish I had my S with me. At least we hiked down into the canyon. Love to see more photos!!
Old 11-14-2015, 12:40 PM

Great trip,
beautiful pictures

Subscribed

Quick Reply: Grand Canyon roadtrip in 10k mile AP2! (Pic heavy.)