S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Hardwater Stains...what to do? (pics)

Old 07-21-2001, 03:22 PM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It happened to my old Eclipse, and I took it to a local detail shop and after a few hours of washing, waxing and more washing and waxing, it looked like new again.
Old 07-21-2001, 06:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

update: took it through the spray wash, soaked it down heavily as suggested, even took it through the (ugh!) laser wash 4000 thingie, and got the seven dollar job which is everything. I then felt, I think this is going to work, I got out, and started to dry everything off and uhhhhh, nothing, no change, nothing at all, and the rear window is still pretty shotty.

So, I spent a little over 30 minutes trying to polish out and wax a 1' x 2' section of my hood and there is absolutely no change. Then again, this is only zymol, so I hope that zaino brothers would be far superior and actually resolve this problem.

However, one other thing cropped up to my misfortune - as I came out to my car, I noticed my side turn signal was just dangling there. Lovely eh? So I gotta get that replaced because the clip just broke off. So, a trip to the dealership will be in order after I go bitch some more with my apartment complex management first thing Monday morning.
Old 07-21-2001, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two to five swipes over the paint with the Mother's clay bar kit will probably do it. I would try it on the plastic window as well. You can get the Mother's kit at Pep Boys, Trak Auto, Walmart and just about any other auto parts store.
Old 07-21-2001, 06:50 PM

Ok I live in Austin too. I've even washed my car with the hard water in Leander. My car is black. I've had rain spots that looked like those. They all came out with a regular sponge wash at the DIY carwash. My car has been sprinkled on, then sat in the Sun for hours. I use Zymol wax too! The musta put some fertilizer or something in those sprinklers...

Old 07-21-2001, 07:41 PM

The Zaino polish (Z-2, Z-5) will not remove stains from your paint.

Zaino recommends trying Z-18 Claybar first. If that doesn't work, then 3M Foam Polishing Pad Glaze Swirl Mark Remover part #39009 by hand, not by machine, using very light pressure.
Old 07-21-2001, 10:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Cleaning your glass is not a problem. I had over 12 years worth of HARD water stains built up on the glass on my Bronco II. I tried several products the first couple years with no luck and simply gave up even trying to remove or prevent them. Then a guy at a NAPA Auto Parts store in Sacramento recommended a product called "Nothin's Better" water stain remover. They carried it at NAPA in Sacramento, Ca. But I haven't found it anywhere else.

Works great!. Neighbors asked if I got a new paint job. Nope, I cleaned the windows. They looked as good as the day it was new.

Groits Garage also carries a glass polish that claims to do the same. But I haven't tried it.

I can't say enough about "Nothin's Better". It does work on glass. NOT recommended for auto paint or plastic cleaning. It is a mild abrasive.

Label reads:
Old 07-22-2001, 04:54 PM

Received 280 Likes on 140 Posts

Schatten,
Try surfing over to http://www.autopia-carcare.com/ and doing some reading in the "detailing tips" section. They've got tons of products and tons of advice for which situations to use them in.
Good luck!
John
P.S. In fact, there's a section on water spots: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/waterspots.html.
Old 07-22-2001, 05:51 PM

OMG I would be soooo pissed. It made me queezy lookin at the pics.
Old 07-22-2001, 06:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

spent a few hours w/the vinegar idea, I can say there is a *slight* improvement, but my car still looks camoflauged with the spotted pattern. rear window? ha! its (*@#'ed.

anyways, I will be contacted by the management in the morning, w/most likely, bad news from them, so I'll let them know I will be getting a third party invovled.

I appreciate the responses, and the possible solutions, but I'd rather not pay a cent for this, because what it comes down to is, who is negligible, me for parking my car in the same spot that I have for three years (unassigned) or them for owning the spot, watering the spot and gardening the spot with the lawnmower - they said that the sprinkler heads get broken by the landscapers, which they feel is not their fault at all. Thus, because a third party that they hired has broken a piece of their property, it doesn't make them any less negligible, does it?

we'll see. I'll keep everyone updated.
Old 07-22-2001, 06:44 PM

Good luck with the removal. I wonder if the sprinkler co. will admit to causing the damage and be willing to help out with the cost. I recently saw an infomercial on speedvision for this stuff called durashine that is suposed to prevent these spots because the water rolls off and does not bead. They said you dont even have to dry the car. Anyone have ever try this stuff?

Quick Reply: Hardwater Stains...what to do? (pics)