S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

It has finally arrived. Thank you Comptech!!

Old 08-21-2003, 10:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's all the data....

How's the BOV project coming?
Old 08-21-2003, 12:44 PM
Ozy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting it welded next week. I had it on my car before the aftercooler, but now i just need to weld a new flange on to a new heat exchanger piece. Is that the print from Comptech? It looks like u'r doing 304.2 to the wheel? Thats awesome. What do u have on u'r car again? I think i'm gonna pull the V-AFC outta the MAP stuff and then let comptech tune my car this time.
Old 08-21-2003, 01:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only other mod I've done that would affect the HP output would be the flywheel and two lightweight pulleys (same diameter as stock). That'd acct. for, what--maybe ~3 hp tops?

I think that Comptech's dyno may be a little on the generous side compared to a Dynojet....my car dyno'd at 212 (at a low 8200 RPM) with just a PRM intake and the pulleys. It is an '02, but still, that's pretty generous.

Comptech's heavily modded C&D car dyno'd on the same dyno at 308, though. I could give Dick a call at Dynospot and dyno my car there so we can compare....180 bucks, though???
Old 08-21-2003, 01:46 PM

180 just for a dyno run???

-JB-
Old 08-26-2003, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by JRSC_Si

This is a common misconception. The higher the flow rate of the pump, the better any AW IC works. I've seen efficiency graphs from serveral manufacturers, and every one shows higher cooling rates are proportional to a higher fluid flow rate.
This is only partially true...

1. Yes, you want the highest flow rate possible (as well as some pressure) through the charge air exchanger. This will remove the most amount of heat from the charge air. The more water passing through to pull heat energy out, the better!!
2. On the water cooler side, you want the LOWEST flow rate possible as to allow the water to cool back down. More ambient air cooling in contact with each water molecule for the longest period of time possible.

This is where the compromise is...as with anything it is a balance.

Have fun!!
Old 08-26-2003, 10:40 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ozy
[B]..... Now the debate of why the vortech creates about 10-15 more hp seems to lie on the black box.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by JRSC_Si
..... I don't think you'll ever see a professional race car on a track (not a 1/4 mile) using an air to water IC. It would be almost usless after a few WOT laps. The water would be too hot to do much cooling with.
JRSC_Si

Apparently you have not followed PD Cunninghams success in Speedvision WC GT racing. He has been using a Vortech supercharged NSX with, get this, ...an air/water charge cooler!! He had been winning enough races in the past two seasons that SCCA kept slapping him with weight additions and boost restrictions. I have seen the car in person and it has a well engineered and properly executed air/water cooleing system.

Some of the points that you make are valid, but only with a poorly designed air/water cooler system. When properly done, air/water achieves excellent results. Water is 9 times more effective at removing heat than air is. That is a key item that allows it to work so well. That is also why you do not need the circulating water to be as cool as the air to remove large amounts of heat. Why do you think that many of the OEM's are moving to air/water coolers for their applications (Maybach, Mercedes, Rolls/Bentley, Ford, Jaguar and others) it is certainly NOT because they are cheaper and perform poorly!!!

Air/air has its merits (low cost being one), but air water has many strong points that make it superior in many applications.

I have been entertained by some of the content in your posts (..you need ice...etc.)...reminds me of some of the print ads (ie; propaganda) I have seen from ATI Procharger. You don't work for them....do you? Funny stuff!!

Take care!!
Old 08-27-2003, 12:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

whats the point if you are not going to add boost? Does your car run super hot right now?

BTW, I did not read all 4 pages of this thread.