S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Have any of you ever considered buying an M Roadster instead of an S2000?

Old 08-16-2018, 11:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by common reactor
Don't care to know enough about either of those cars so I'm not going to argue that haha. But I get your point and it's a valid one.
ha, I didn't mean you specifically but on the internet people like to poke holes in statements instead of interpreting the spirit of a post.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:35 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

If you guys really want to experience a car that is somewhat similar to the s2000 but MUCH FASTER, check out the Alfa 4C!

Some people refer to this car as the poor man's Ferrari or rich man's s2000 but at the end of the day, this sucker is super fast (feels like a V8 instead of a 4 cyl turbo) and responds in terms of the steering even faster than an s2000 CR.

It's fast enough to hang with a GTR but so lightweight it reacts more like a Lotus Elise on steroids. For those who have not driven one you owe it to yourself to try one. Even the exhaust note is awesome and intoxicating!

The only downfalls to the 4c are:

a) Reliability
b) lack of 6-speed manual
c) Cost / Maintenance

side by side:
Old 08-20-2018, 09:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is a great car! The only things that would improve it are 1. Manual 2. Lag....
Old 08-20-2018, 11:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This car sounds awesome, but for that price I'd rather get a Corvette. I love cars that handle well (especially in the realm of an S2000) but if I could afford a car that expensive I'd probably look at some different options.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:45 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

The only thing about the S (v. old english roadsters) is that rebuilding the bottom end of the engine is problematic. But, take good care of it and you can get 250 - 350 miles out of it before a rebuild is needed.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:31 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
I
The only downfalls to the 4c are:

a) Reliability
b) lack of 6-speed manual
c) Cost / Maintenance

I wont put up with poor reliability and high cost of maintenance (Japan has proven for far too long you dont have to put up with that stuff) and the lack of a real 6 speed pretty much shuts the door completely for me. Cool car but I just cant get myself to like it for those reasons.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:03 PM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
I wont put up with poor reliability and high cost of maintenance (Japan has proven for far too long you dont have to put up with that stuff) and the lack of a real 6 speed pretty much shuts the door completely for me. Cool car but I just cant get myself to like it for those reasons.
I feel the exact same way...

(Not to mention the high cost of admission, which puts it out of my grasp anyway).
Old 08-21-2018, 12:05 PM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
I feel the exact same way...

(Not to mention the high cost of admission, which puts it out of my grasp anyway).
Well there is that little detail too! That whole intitial cost thing, which is why I bought an S2k when it was 14 years old instead of back when new ! I could afford a lot more car ... but just cant get myself to pay half the price of my house for a car, and some of the cool new cars I would be interested in are that much.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:17 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I have zero interest in an Alpha. If I was going to spend serious money - I'd get a first rate restoration on an AH 3000 or an MGA. But, I'm not gonna do that either. Every time I start thinking about this stuff I come back to the same conclusion. The S is the one for me.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:41 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

The S2000 is interesting as it somewhat bridges the gap between the old British roadsters and the likes of the more modern Alfa. If I wanted to enjoy a more leisurely yet spirited time with a roadster on the weekends then I'd likely choose something like a Triumph TR250 provided that I could find one or maybe something like a pre-1975 Alfa Romeo Spider. While I'm sure that the performance of the new Alfa is impressive, I personally wouldn't really be exercising much of the car's capabilities out on public roads. Regardless, the lack of a manual transmission would be a deal breaker for me. When it comes to the S, a person can still enjoy some top down driving in a rather "basic" car with a manual transmission — much like those British roadsters of old. But unlike with the British roadsters, if someone isn't spending ample time in the upper RPM range with the S then they're really missing out on the best of what these cars have to offer. As it is, the S offers more than enough performance for me to use out on public roads without getting incredibly irresponsible. That keeps me happy and entertained all at the same time.

Quick Reply: Have any of you ever considered buying an M Roadster instead of an S2000?