S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Haven't had gear grind?

Old 11-16-2000, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really don't drive the car that hard and havn't had the grind problem... yet. Should I
go for the fix now or see if it shows up? Same thing on the seat belt problem. I always say if it ain't broke don't fix it but I am not sure about the tranny and belt.
Old 11-16-2000, 12:40 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would fix the belts. If you haven't had the grind I don't think Honda will want to fix something that ain't broke.

Old 11-16-2000, 02:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

moleman- how many miles on your car? not likely that you will get the grind if your car is really new-
Old 11-16-2000, 04:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wanabe:
[B]moleman- how many miles on your car?
Old 11-17-2000, 12:15 AM

I just can't bring myself to take the car in for the seatbelt fix. I understand that they practically have to "gut" the interior and I don't look forward to that. Can I wait for the seatbelt problem to manifest itself before submitting to the fix?
Old 11-17-2000, 12:30 AM

Understand how you feel guys - I am also not keen to have someone rip the vehicle apart especially for something as trivial as a seatbelt! (don't take that the wrong way but I would be more concerned with mechanical problems as the nature of the recall suggests I am unlikely to experience anything other than annoyance with this problem).

As others have said, if you pull half the vehicle apart I'm sure there will be a few introduced rattles, and rattles bug me no end!

So I'm just going to tell Honda where they can put their recall notice and slap a writ on them if they dare try changing anything at my next service.
Old 11-17-2000, 06:06 AM

I just got my car out of the shop yesterday for both the 2nd gear grind and the seat belt recall (no new squeaks or rattles were introduced).

First, if I didn't have the grind, I would NOT have it fixed. Believe me, you'll know if you need the fix.

Second, I was very glad that they did the seat belt recall as I mine locked on me on a regular basis when I would simply lean forward while driving. With the blind spot that you have with the top up, I have to lean forward to look in the mirror to make sure that it's clear on a pretty regular basis. If it wasn't an important safety issue, Honda wouldn't have issued the recall and wouldn't be spending millions of dollars to have it fixed.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Old 11-17-2000, 06:17 AM

Steve, is the grind gone?
Old 11-17-2000, 07:06 AM

Your instinct is correct, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!" It must be understood by all that the grind problem is not universal. Some owners have experienced it, others haven't. My car is nearing 15,000 hard driven miles and I have not had a single grind problem (or seatbelt problem for that matter). It does not exist in my car (knock on wood). I drive it hard. It survived a VA winter and summer. Still no problem. There has been some insinuation on this board that the grind problem is a fundamental design flaw. The fact that there are some that do not experience it indicates that it is more likely a manufacturing issue (or perhaps a parts/bin/vendor issue). Anyway, don't subject your car to uneccessary surgery!
Old 11-17-2000, 07:10 AM

No grind at all in my car either after 9000 miles

Quick Reply: Haven't had gear grind?