S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Head Port/Polish

Old 03-22-2001, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone done this? I know that Gude (Bullfrog) can do this for me, but I was wondering about the quality. Are any of you firmiliar with their work? Gains are 25 hp, 15 ft. pounds and the "racing" package includes porting of the head, intake manifold, TB bore to 70mm, Cam and valve grind. I have heard only great things so far about this company, and was wanting to get others feedback
Thanks
Mark DiGrappa
Old 03-22-2001, 10:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mdigrappa
[B]
Old 03-22-2001, 11:05 AM

These guys have done the ITR with this kind of gain. As for performance, this mod would beef up the mid range by 21 hp. I may just do it and see what happens for myself, Thoughts?
Old 03-22-2001, 11:21 AM

With proper headwork gains of 10-20 hp would not be unreasonable and you could see gains across the board.

However, every head is different and you do not want to be the first to get something done. Proper head porting (and not many folks do this in the import world, maybe none unless you pay for it) involves doing R&D work on a test head. You have to experiment with valve seat design, valve shape, chamber porting and runner flow. A good porter might spend a couple of weeks on the flow bench and swirl meter, trying things out on one chamber of a test head, taking what he learns there and moving to the next chamber and trying even more things.

In the end, you have a junked head, but a ton of flow data on what works and what doesn't. Then you go to a customer head and you know what needs to be done. You do before and after on the flow bench to make sure you got it right, clean things up and you're done.

I'm a firm believer in headwork and will probably do it someday on my S2K, but I think i'll probably have to buy a spare head and pay someone to develop it. I won't let anyone touch my head without a proper flowbench and benchmark data.

UL
Old 03-22-2001, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UL, how much do you think this stuff will cost? If the gains are true (20HP? You serious?) on our car, and if this benefits everyone as a whole, I just might pitch in some R&D money for this. Or maybe we can ALL pitch in a few dollars here and there to get the data. Any thoughts?
Old 03-22-2001, 11:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

funny, I agree on chris' statements as well as lurker's: the whole do it, don't do it.

but do take into consideration that even after a grand or two of good head work (that's what a few of my v8 buddies used to be charged on their aluminum heads - stage III porting jobs), you might be out the cost of buying another head and getting it assembled/installed (if you don't do that type of work) if the results are poorer than stock.
Old 03-22-2001, 11:34 AM
Bieg

How much better do you really think you can get this engine to breath? Headers and exhaust as well as intake mods really don't produce the same sort of gains on this engine as they would on engines in a lesser state of tune. This means this thing breaths REAL well right from the factory. This engine has some hand porting done already at the factory. I really don't see any big gains down this avenue. It will NEVER be 25 HP that is for sure.
Old 03-22-2001, 11:35 AM

I would not be the first, they have already done this on other S2Ks. BTW on the cam grind, they use your stock cam, which I think is great!! This guy also helps Honda development from time to time. He has been in business for 20 years or something and only does "imports". I think it may be worth the risk!!
Old 03-22-2001, 11:59 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mdigrappa
[B]I would not be the first, they have already done this on other S2Ks.
Old 03-22-2001, 12:33 PM

I had my S2K head off one time and took the opportunity to also install the Mugen header. While placing the order for the header I ask the same question to Scott at King.

Pepe: Would it be worth to port and polish the head now that I have off?

Scott: Leave it alone. It's as good as it gets from the factory.

Quick Reply: Head Port/Polish