S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

header(s), not worth the money?!

Old 05-28-2006, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default header(s), not worth the money?!

i have been for 3 months now trying to decide on a header to compliment my setup. i am going to brutally honest with you guys, i dont think you can beat the OEM header.

its a heater subject, some guys swear by their mugen/toda/rick/amuse/j's/spoon/meagn header, but when i go to look for numbers i get mixed reviews. i know most headers are desgined for mid-range power numbers. and some are for peak gains. but with the average header checking in a 1k, i ask you, why even bother. j's claims as much a 15whp, i find the VERY hard to believe. looking at the stock header, one would have to agree that its designed very well. and shit, my car just keeps making power the more bolt ons i add to it, in other words the header doesnt appear to choke the power output from my mods. in fact i am scared that i'll buy a header and LOSE hp/tq.

and the one header that i think may ADD power is the least/hardest to find info on. MEAGAN RACING. some dismiss it saying 350 shipped you get what you pay for. but the damn thing has 2 inch primaries!

HELP ME!!! My head is going to explode!
Old 05-28-2006, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ricks!

Yeh with whatever na mod you buy on here your gonna have to pay a nice figure for just a few hp........I'm hoping a header will help even more once Im FI compared to na?
Old 05-28-2006, 10:31 PM

I agree that the stock header is going to be VERY hard to beat. I think the best bet would be a 4->1 with a very very good collector and some equal length primaries. There would need to be a lot of development to determine just how long and large the primaries should be. I don't feel any header on the market either HAS done this or has shown gains by doing this.

I can't justify a header for $700+. Especially the ones that increase midrange power. That just seems stupid to me. The car wasn't made for midrange power and will NEVER make a lot of midrange power remaining NA, so why try to fix something that is hopeless when you can build on the other strengths of the engine...
Old 05-28-2006, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by brent_strong,May 28 2006, 11:31 PM
I agree that the stock header is going to be VERY hard to beat. I think the best bet would be a 4->1 with a very very good collector and some equal length primaries. There would need to be a lot of development to determine just how long and large the primaries should be. I don't feel any header on the market either HAS done this or has shown gains by doing this.

I can't justify a header for $700+. Especially the ones that increase midrange power. That just seems stupid to me. The car wasn't made for midrange power and will NEVER make a lot of midrange power remaining NA, so why try to fix something that is hopeless when you can build on the other strengths of the engine...
thats what i am talking about! lets talk about the megan header, what do we think?
Old 05-28-2006, 10:37 PM

you forgot weight savings to comparing the ricks and stock header before install was a noticable difference

Also you want to try to keep the head shields unless you have a vented hood. Xviper had some good reasoning for this , higher heat in engine bay etc
Old 05-28-2006, 10:40 PM

I am curious as well... What about the Megan header and a smog check?
Old 05-28-2006, 10:40 PM

smog check?
Old 05-28-2006, 10:42 PM

I don't believe their header is C.A.R.B. approved.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:43 PM

hmmm never thought about that. Are most headers carb approved?
Old 05-28-2006, 10:43 PM

i am half tempted buy get a megan just to see what would happen. NOBODY HAD DYNO'D THIS HEADER, well besides megan themselves.

HEY MEGAN SEND ME A HEADER, I'LL DYNO IT (MUSTANG DYNO) AND IF I MAKE POWER, I'LL PAY FOR IT, IF I LOSE POWER I GET TO SEND IT BACK AND MY $ REFUNDED.

sounds like a fair deal to me!

Quick Reply: header(s), not worth the money?!