S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Heel Toeing

Old 03-25-2012, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heel Toeing

Okay, so I know that the proper way to heel toe is to blip the throttle to almost the exact rpm's, but for some of us who haven't mastered it we either under rev or over rev by a couple or a few hundred rpm's. So is it better to under rev a little bit and let the synchros help you or over rev (not hitting redline)? I was just curious because I am trying to get better at heel toeing in my daily driving, and I want to do what's best for my transmission. Thanks!
Old 03-25-2012, 06:32 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

also interested
Old 03-25-2012, 06:38 PM

You will get a better feel for it with practice, but I would tend to think that revving to a higher rpm than "perfect" would be better, as it would seem to put less wear on the clutch and less strain on the transmission than the alternative.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:39 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

It's better to just do it right.

If you've got the time to figure out if it's an over or under rev you've got the energy to do it right. When you're at the extreme end of the rev band getting it 'dead' on is less important. However you need to remember not to be 'learning' while cornering. Both an over or under rev blip will unsettle the car. One slowing the car down and the other 'pushing' the back a little more. Neither is desirable.

Wear on the tranny/clutch should be nearly the same. Crashing the car because you're doing this wrong in a corner (which most drivers aviod) will cause major wear to the body

Just practice You'll get it.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:08 PM

Not sure when or where to practice this. My foot is only a size 8 and I'm not sure if that makes it tougher for me, but I tend to hit the brake real hard and barely blip the throttle. I can rev match perfectly and taught myself. I'm sure most here can, but most manual drivers don't bother from what I've experienced.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:14 PM

I usually overrev but release the clutch as the rpms fall at the right spot. If you heel toe shift at every red light you'll get it in no time. Just make sure no one is behind you..
Old 03-25-2012, 09:24 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

to get a near perfect double clutch downshift I find you need to get the rpms above 4000 rpms, anything lower than that and it just feels like any other downshift. Getting the rpms above 4000 the tranny slides in very smoothly, so you have to stab the accelerator pedal pretty good.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:38 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I watched a few videos and even racing drivers do match imperfectly a very small % of the time. I tend to believe the difference between a racing driver and a regular driver is that they match imperfectly like 3-5% of the time as opposed to the regular folks who mismatch like 10%. And I am not talking about the kind of match where people slip the clutch just to ensure smoothness. I am talking about the full on downshift with a quick release of the clutch.

I prefer slightly over as opposed to under.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I KNOW I dont match my rpms perfectly when I am doing the heel-toe. I have found that as long as my engine is having an ascending acceleration and it is nearing the rpm, letting the clutch out is the bigger battle.

More into what I mean, about my findings. As long as my engine is going up in rpms at a fast rate, and not starting to lose the speed it is traveling up in rpms too soon, I just have to do the clutch work to match. As soon as the motor starts losing the upward rpm speed too soon the shift becomes not smooth, and harder on the transmission, I would imagine.

Going even further. If I need to be at 7000 rpm for my next gear, Im probably going to give it enough gas to get the engine to 7300-7500.

Just my findings
Old 03-26-2012, 01:18 AM

is it even appropriate to heel toe while daily driving? I rev match but not necessarily heel toe. Just seems like it would waste more gas heel toeing all the time.

Quick Reply: Heel Toeing