S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Help, car rolled down hill -_-*

Old 12-05-2003, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lanbrown, that is correct. I usually filled up the clutch fluid resivour and it would fill back up. The e-brake would hold again. Not sure if this would be the same on th eS since it is 15+ yrs newer, but that's what I did on my MR2 and Probe.
Old 12-05-2003, 01:27 PM

I lived in an apartment with a garage and people would always park in front of the garage blocking me. Usually I could find them in one of the apartments and give 'em a piece of my mind and get them to move the car. But once, couldn't find anyone, honked their horn, nothing. Put the car in neutral, got it going down the hill, jumped in and steered it about a 1/4 mile away until it wouldn't roll anymore. Never heard anything about it.

ALWAYS leave the car in gear as well as putting on the ebrake.
Old 12-05-2003, 01:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice. Maybe that's what happened. Where you blocking someone, Chosun?
Old 12-05-2003, 01:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Parking brakes don't use the same brake system the brake pedal uses. The parking brake is cable operated while the rest of the braking system is hydraulic.
Depends on the car.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:49 PM

Would you leave an automatic in neutral with just the ebrake on?

Putting a manual shift in 1st or reverse (I was taught that reverse is a bigger gear, making the car much harder to roll) is the equivalent of putting an automatic in park.

E = emergency, not park!
Old 12-05-2003, 06:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to Honda, it's a parking brake. The only reference to an Emergency Brake I can find is in the index of the owner's manual that takes me to page 81 entitled, "Parking Brake".

I'm not sure what you are saying, ggd2 but it sounds like you don't use the parking brake at all and just leave it in gear. I'm not sure about that method but I would never leave my in gear only.

I don't think that leaving a manual in gear is equivelant to the Park on an automatic. I've tried and tried to puch an automatic from a stop while it's in park, it doesn't budge (other then the slight back and forth roll). I've pushed plenty of manuals from a stop in first and reverse and it will move.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:22 PM

One of my wife's ex-boyfriends (before we were married) knocked my motorcyle off it sidestand. Unoofing believable. Actually the bike was kind of a POS but still.
Old 12-06-2003, 06:16 AM

If you leave the car in gear all the time, wont it weaken it faster?
Old 12-06-2003, 07:27 AM

Originally posted by Quik S2K
If you leave the car in gear all the time, wont it weaken it faster?
Nothing's happening, it's just sitting there. It's extra insurance.

Sometimes in freezing weather, you might not want to apply the parking brake because they have been known to freeze in position. Then you can't get it to let go. It's never happened to me but it did happen on a ski bus I was on.
Old 12-06-2003, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Chosun
Thanks Razor ^_^

On a side note, I've sat in the car at the same spot without ebrake and normal brake (waiting for someone) and didnt notice any roll. I think someone took off my ebreak and pushed the car while I was inside :-/

-Son

didnt notice "brake" was wrong -_-*
Must have been terrorists.
Have you thought of calling the Department of Homeland Security?
Any foreigners in your neighborhood?
Anybody that looks suspicious or who doesn't have exactly the same religious beliefs as you?

Definitely terrorists.

Sorry to hear that terrorists have given up on suicide bombings and started going around release the emergency brake on cars when no one is looking.

What is the world coming to?

Quick Reply: Help, car rolled down hill -_-*