S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Help with my first S2K Purchase

Old 06-18-2016, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with my first S2K Purchase

Hey guys,

I've posted a couple of threads on here and I've finally sold my Civic Si Sedan and have found an s2000 to purchase. It is an 07 GPW and I met with the guy today after negotiating a price. We were pretty set on making a purchase today, but the car was unable to pass smog because of the ECU sensors. Initially it wasn't passing the O2 and the Catalytic Converter parts of the smog test (free 1st screening) and then after the owner drove 45-50 miles, it only wasn't passing the Catalytic Converter. The owner hasn't driven it very often at all and the battery had completely died so the mechanic at the smog station suggest he drive a bit more. That being said, we pushed off until we meet again on Monday to finish the transaction after it ideally passes the test.

Now, I also took it to a mechanic today and it passed with flying colors aside from needing new brake pads. This was prior to the smog failing, which meant the deal had to be postponed until Monday. However, I'm wondering what your opinions are for taking the car to a mechanic again for an inspection on Monday and whether it is necessary or not. The only modification really are the coils on it, and I can tell if those are changed or not. My family seems to be worried that the person may do a bait and switch, taking out OEM parts or something along those lines. Do you guys have any tips or suggestions for what I should do come Monday? Thanks again for all your help!
Old 06-19-2016, 02:44 AM

FWIW it takes 50 to 60 miles for the on-board seniors to process & throw a code. So make sure your drive it at least that far to insure that whatever fixes were made are complete.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:25 AM

I think some things you just have to trust and go with your gut on. Could someone swap out parts and put in shittier, older ones? Sure, they could, but that would be a ton of work for little, if any, gain. You would have to be miserly beyond belief to buy non-oem parts, swap them out, and then sell the OEM parts. You would stand to make almost no profit, and it would be a huge PITA. Give the car a good look-over when you purchase it, ask for a final drive of it, and then proceed if you feel good.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a question, why does the car have to be tested now for smog and inspection? Is it CA law to have it checked whenever a potential new buyer takes ownership?

Either way, I would stay away from the car as it seems the guy seems to not have kept up with it and is now waiting til the last second to fix whatever was wrong with it. Cat converter failing could mean a number of things. Could be as simple as the converter is bad or it could be good, but several components leading up to that are bad.

I would still be looking elsewhere while this guy attempts to fix his car. And I'm not sure how far out you've looked, but I'm sure you can find another at a good price.