S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

help on painted blinkers and parking lights

Old 09-02-2003, 03:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help on painted blinkers and parking lights

i have just bought the amber bulbs for the turn signals and need help with the painting. which paint should i buy(brand,type). and im awaiting my JDM diffusers and sidemarkers right now, so i was wondering if anyone could help me how to paint the bulbs? ive done the search and saw people painting the whole bulb and some painted only parts of it. could anyone post specific advice and pictures on how to do either or both of the painting styles. Oh and should i buy amber parking lights, or should i just color them with a orange sharpie? then spraypaint parts of the bulb with silver, has that ever been done?
Old 09-02-2003, 04:00 AM

Talk to w1ngman....he did mine.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:53 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

OK, thats a lot of questions all crammed together:

1. If you saw the messages about people painting their bulbs in various ways, why not read through those threads to see how they did it and what they were thinking when they did it. I have seen many of those threads, and they are a wealth of information.

2. The side markers from Rick's include amber bulbs.

3. The corners of the headlights have two bulbs in them. One is readily available in amber at any auto parts store. The other is harder to find. Some have found an amber replacement online. I could not find one so I colored the bulb orange with a sharpie.

W1ngman will have some suggestions, I am sure. PM him. ludedude had some good sources for bulbs online.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the only place you really need to worry, imo, is the turn signals on the front-
cleared all my lenses-
the sides already have amber bulbs; the corners now blink clear- so if you want color (some dont want the amber hue in the lens), your choices are to change to amber bulbs (which will give the lens some slight color) or "paint" the sides of the bulbs with an amber (orange) sharpie). i bought the sharpie for this, but have not done it as i kinda like the look of the clear blinking bulbs, and definitely like the clear parking lights up front.
so if you really want amber, you can use the orange sharpie to paint the sides of the bulb- this will give an amber color when the bulb lights, but will not look too amber when it is not lit.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:57 PM

Don't be tacky. Stay legal. Put away the coloring pen. Stick to OEM quality.

Here's the Honda part # for the so-called "diffcult to find" amber turn signal bulb:

33303-S2R-003
Old 09-02-2003, 01:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks!

For anyone not able to find the right bulb, I have found the following works well (better than a felt tip pen):

1) Get some orange and yellow model paint - mix some yellow into the orange until you get the color you want
2) thin it with paint thinner
3) Apply with camel hair brush to bulb until desired coverage/color is achieved

Also, there are bulb "condoms" that fit over clears - they are available from Newark Electronics and the like, and www.partsexpress.com - they are readily available for small LED's - not sure about dimensions of larger bulbs.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:05 PM

I could be wrong, but I think the question he is asking is in regards to concealing the orange color from showing with cleared diffusers and side markers. If this is what you're talking about, you can simply paint the end of the bulb with a sliver model paint, do not put to much paint on it or you will loose brightness of the bulbs. I wouldn't go the Sharpie route on coloring bulbs, they aren't that hard to find and you will be dealing with a better quality of coloration.

If I'm wrong on my interpretation of what you asked, ignore what I just said.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:51 PM

They make silver colored bulbs that blink amber when you turn the blinkers on. Thats what I have.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by YeLLoWs2knVA
They make silver colored bulbs that blink amber when you turn the blinkers on. Thats what I have.
Yeah, you could do that too, but it's not as much fun!
Old 09-02-2003, 04:15 PM

Where the hell did you find those bulbs???? Your talking about the Polarg VisionStyles right???? I can't find those anywhere.. Anyplace online to buy them?? Couldn't find them in the nyc area nor could i find them when i went to the Pacific Mall in toronto. In toronto they had them but not in our size. They were selling them for about 20 bucks canadian for one bulb.. Dude help me out man.. Thanks..

Originally posted by YeLLoWs2knVA

Quick Reply: help on painted blinkers and parking lights