S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

HELP! S2000 Broke Down -- Please read and advise

Old 11-25-2003, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! S2000 Broke Down -- Please read and advise

I had my oil changed in my S2000 my a dedicated Honda Shop (Although not part of Honda0.

I was out at a friends and my wife called and said their was oil on the garage floor.

I checked the oil before I left my friends house which is about 15 miles. It was full.

However, right before I got home the engine started losing power and then the oil light came on the and car just stopped.

The engine was smoking and smoke was coming out from under the back tires. in fact, a layer of gunk had formed around the tail end of the car.

Here is my question:

This is the first time I have drove it since my oil was changed. Should I have it towed to the shop that replaced the oil or have it towed somewhere else????

I am afraid the shop will try to deny it if they messed something up.

I think it is too much of a concidence that the car loses all it's oil the time after the oil change.

Also, what do you think the damage is assuming all the oil leaked. I am going to wait on the tow truck now and I will keep you all informed.

Thanks,
Dean
Old 11-25-2003, 08:59 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Was the oil that was on the floor under the engine? Can you tell where it's coming from? The oil filter? The drain plug? The fill cap? Any of those loose or missing? Take pictures if you can.
I hope I'm wrong but the fact that the oil light came on and then died, does not sound good. You should have it towed to an authorized Honda dealer so that all damage can be documented. You may need this documentation to proceed with litigation against the shop that did the oil change.
If you ran out of oil and ran it till it died, you "could" have scored cylinders, damaged valve train, damaged crankshaft bearings - the list goes on and on. The resultant friction and heat would have been high. On the other hand, you may have lucked out and when you pour oil back into it, it may just fire up and you can drive it home. This is not likely but you just never know. Have your coolant checked also, as the extra heat may have played havoc with that system.
Good Luck!
Old 11-25-2003, 09:01 PM

Cant really add anything but I will stress on the fact that you should get PIX now before cleaning up. And tow it DO NOT DRIVE IT.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:29 PM

Yeah, the shop that changed the oil must have screwed up, but I would say you screwed up, too. You knew there was an oil leak, but drove the car anyway. You should have looked for the leak to see how serious it was first - pretty serious, it turns out.

Hope this comes out better that it looks now.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:34 PM

I have already taken pictures. Once we got it up on the flatbed tow truck, we saw that the drain plug had come out. My guess is that when they changed the oil, they screwed the drain plug back in but forgot to tighten it.

What was I supposed to do. My wife did call and warn me but I did check the oil and looked under the car and there was no leakage. We have had some water seeping into the garage and I assumed that is what my wife had seen.

I also took it extra slow and careful on the way home. I looked for smoke and didn't see anything until the point that oil light came on.

For what it is worth, the tow truck driver witnessed it and said that he has seen this happen at least 100 times where someone does screw it back in tight.

I will let you know tomorrow when I get the damage evaluated.

Dean
Old 11-25-2003, 11:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your mishap.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:55 AM

Just a update guys.

I did take the car back to the Honda Shop who replaced the oil since I know them well. I went back with them when they put it on the lift. Even the owner admits that he says they must be at fault. He conceeded that the drain plug screw had come out. He conceeded that it wasn't knocked out or anything in that nature. He says he is puzzled because he remembers tightening the screw and has never had something like tis happen.

They are cleaning the car off today and are keeping it locked up in the garage. They are going to pay for the repair. He says he does not know the extent of the internal damage yet but says honda has the cylinders, etc so they will make it as good as new.

I am going to let them fix it and then take to another Honda shop and let them inspect and make sure nothing was missed.

Dean
Old 11-26-2003, 07:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So far so good. Sounds like you have a shop that is worth giving your business to. Even though they did make a mistake, they are fessing up to it and taking responsibility.

I hope it all works out.