S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Help - sold car and new owner wants to return!

Old 07-04-2010, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Screw Him!
You owe him nothing! What he might have done to the car the short period of time he had it is anybody's guess.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Kind of off topic, but I don't understand the insurance thing. Are you in the US? If so, letting someone test drive your car would typically be covered. Also, it would be impossible for someone to buy insurance to cover themselves in a car they don't own.

I would have figured out a way for him to drive the car himself, with the owner as a passenger. It would be harder for him to try to un-do the deal.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:39 AM

yea chances are he screwed something up and said uh-oh i don't want it anymore. i would of course say no.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah definitely don't take it back. For all you know he overrevev it and now wants to get rid of it before the motor goes boom. Or he just ripped on it as hard as possible for that day and decided he doesn't want it anymore after beating all living hell out of it.
Guy already low balled you so now he can sell it and have a better chance of breaking even.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:34 AM

Dont feel bad. Hes a grown ass man, tough lesson... Same thing happened to me one with my lexus sc300.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:42 AM

if you can manage to get 1-1.5k and the mechanic to do a re-inspection and check the retainers, id return it.

If not forget him, if he's an impulse buyer it's his fault, you were in the selling car market, not renting or buying market, he's SOL.

He seems like a bs artist, on second thought I wouldnt even bother taking the car back, for all you know he took it home and exchanged some parts on it and wants to return it.

I could understand if something was wrong with the car, but first who doesnt like the feel of this car...... second you shouldnt have bought if you never drove it, you aren't supposed to take his personal feelings on the into consideration. You sold him a vehicle honestly, that is in well working order, it's his problem now.

If you do decide to take it back lowball him too, I assumed you already signed the title, thats an extra owner, big money there
Old 07-04-2010, 09:05 AM

Don't take it back!!!!

I felt so awful when I sold a car to my sister and after 3 months, she told me her son don't deserve the car (high insurance cost, etc). So I took it back. It pissed me off.

When selling a car in the future, tell the buyer ahead to bring exact money and not a penny short. I seen my cousin send a buyer home cause he was playing that game.

tnt
Old 07-04-2010, 09:56 AM

No do not return the car unless this person who bought it is someone you already know and trust. At the age of 24, you're considered mature in the decisions you make. He chose to take the risk and buy the vehicle. Tell him you already used the money he gave you to put down on a brand new car. Do not take this car back because you run the risk of having a burnt clutch or bad transmission or something of the like. Tell him the best you can do is try to sell it for him since you already have an ad on the newspaper or whatever but i would never take back the car. Don't be too kind because it may come back to haunt you.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't take the car back, it sounds like some kind of scam and you don't wanna get screwed! good luck!
Old 07-04-2010, 10:16 AM

take the car back and ask for a restocking/liscence fee just like any department store would.

Quick Reply: Help - sold car and new owner wants to return!