S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

hit & run in Michigan! F#%(#! :(

Old 07-16-2005, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hit & run in Michigan! F#%(#! :(

got a magazine at barnes & noble, and i was horrified to see the rear bumper of my S all scratched up!!! and no note on my windshield either... i was F##KING PISSED, and that was when a couple came up to me and said they saw a black female in a burgundy chevy malibu back into my car and fled the scene.. they took down the plate # as well.. I thanked them and got the info.

unfortunately MI has "no-fault" insurance policy, so as far as I understand, even w/ this info, I'm still paying for my repairs out of my pocket.. it doesnt help that my deductible is $1000... I'm not sure if I should even call my insurance company coz a new bumper won't cost $1k.. this no fault policy is total bs... sigh what a F##KING $HITTY DAY!!!!!
Old 07-16-2005, 03:07 PM

do u think this can be saved without replacing the whole bumper??? rough estimates??
Old 07-16-2005, 03:32 PM

Two things:
-Urethane is usually pretty forgiving, a decent bodyshop should be able to fix it far beneath $1000 (filler & paint).

-Use the license#, find her home, exact revenge on this ( U /\/ T'$ Malibu . It won't fix anything, but you can't buy therapy that good.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:41 PM

Definitely track her down and try to get private compesation for it.

Work the "I don't want to get the insurance companies involved in this because it will be more expensive for everyone" angle and try to play it like you can/would get her into trouble with the law (threaten to call in the accident or something) if something isn't worked out.

May not be 100% ethical, but messing up someone's car and not owning up to it isn't exactly ethical either.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:10 PM

Sometimes Insurance companys will offer a grace on your first claim. We have no fault in Ontario, Canada as well. Had something similar happen to me. Was at my gf's at the time, ( wife now), 10 storys up in her apartment building when I heard my alarm go off on the street below. Saw this dude trying to parallel park in front of my car. Must have taken three attempts because he was still trying when we got to the balcony. When he got out he just glanced at the front of my car then disappeared into another building. We went downstairs and saw where he actually backed over the top of my front bumper. Paint was visible from either car just like yours. Called the cops. Cop was great. I'll never forget what he said to me when I told him we were watching tv at the time the alarm went off. He asked what we were watching so we told him Star Trek, the original, and he said " he should be shot and pissed on" I kid you not!
The cop then made out the report, failure to reverse in a safe manner I think, subpeoned me and the culprit to court about 3 weeks later. The dude never showed, just me and the cop. We both testified as to what happened and the judge dismissed the charge.
Sorry to ramble just warning you that some f$#%s get off even when their guilty as hell.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:14 PM

Why are you worrying about the deductable? The lady that his you should be paying for the repairs. Make a police report, giving them the info from the eye witness and the license plate info. Don't track her yourself. She did a stupid thing by leaving the scene of an accident. You don't need to be equally stupid by stalking and threatening her.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:21 PM

hey guys,
police won't even investigate this accident or pursue anything further on a woman who fled a freaking accident scene.. I've been in MI for 3 years and I've never heard of anything more absurd than a "NO FAULT" insurance.

Basically even though this person backed into my car and fled the scene, and I have 3 witnesses and this person's plate #, I'm stuck to pay the bill myself.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by mad-dog-one,Jul 16 2005, 04:14 PM
Why are you worrying about the deductable? The lady that his you should be paying for the repairs. Make a police report, giving them the info from the eye witness and the license plate info. Don't track her yourself. She did a stupid thing by leaving the scene of an accident. You don't need to be equally stupid by stalking and threatening her.
Absolutely!
Old 07-16-2005, 06:43 PM

wow a hit and run here in this state no matter how little is a felony....dude just psych her out...leave notes or something on her door crazyyyyyy...
Old 07-16-2005, 08:02 PM

Take her to small claims court.

Quick Reply: hit & run in Michigan! F#%(#! :(