S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Honda ?

Old 09-01-2003, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing that keeps nagging me is the fact that Honda is watering down the S-2000. Yes I know that the S-2200 is not yet to be released, and still yet to be test driven. But why?
why do the same thing to there benchmark for performance that they did to the Civic SI, and the RSX. Make the cars more tame for the average buyer in the quest to increase sales. The people who buy these types of cars are the enthusiasts who understand why the cars have a harder ride, tighter cockpit position, and general simplicity in design. The average consumer is not going to care that there Civic has McPherson struts rather than double wishbones. The average consumers not going to care if there S-2000 handles more like a relaxed tourer rather than a F-1 car for the road. The average consumer is not the people responsible for pushing Honda to the top of the tuning market. In fact the Honda is in a trend of moving away from the performance market, while most manufactures are capitalizing on it.

The S-2000 was never intended as a high volume car, but was intended to showcase what Honda technology and performance was. Taking away the 9000 rpm redline and the go-kart like handling is the same as removing the front double wishbones from the Civic and RSX. Why?
Why not just have a tourer model(s-2200), and a limited run S-2000 or R model.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:09 AM

It sounds more to me like Honda's motivation in making the anticipated changes is not to broaden acceptance of the S2000, but to address issues raised by the very enthusiasts who have bought one.

Lower redline? This is only one aspect of a package that includes more torque and better gear ratios for more off-the-line performance. Owners have been asking for this since day 1.

Softer ride? They're improving how the S2000 suspension handles vtec on rough surfaces. Owners have been asking for this since day 1.

Interior redesign? More space for big Americans. Owners have been asking for this since day 1.

If Honda was looking for mass-market appeal, they would have added an automatic transmission.

Fortunately if this all seems to you like steps toward high-volume production and sales, there are alternatives. Get on the waiting list to buy a Lotus Elise. No amenities there at all, just a heck of a go-kart.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:30 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

These types of threads fascinate me. Why does everyone assume that the MY2004 is going to be worse than the previous versions. What will you say if it really is an improvement? What will you say if the 2004 is better than those that came before?
Old 09-01-2003, 07:51 AM

Lower redline? This is only one aspect of a package that includes more torque and better gear ratios for more off-the-line performance. Owners have been asking for this since day 1.
ronblanford

Hey maybe you should look at the 350z great car, if you like a tourer, It is heavier, a little more relaxed, great mid range torque and still is out performed by the torque less wonder S2000. The S-2000 should receive some more room and that comment was about the civic. There is no need to sacrifice the 9000 rpm redline for 10lbs of torque at a lower range.

Softer ride? They're improving how the S2000 suspension handles vtec on rough surfaces. Owners have been asking for this since day 1.
ronblanford

softer ride= softer suspension=better around town drivabilty=watered down.

The car is what you want it to be I guess.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:57 AM

The whole point of a business is trying to increase sales, if I owned Honda I would do the same just to increase profit
Old 09-01-2003, 08:15 AM

I'm not saying that 2004 s will be better or worse, or increased sales are bad. That some of the changes are just not what was expected. The K-series engines are in the beginning stages, and are now just be tapped for there true potential. A lot of people are still adamant about the earlier B-series engines. The new I-vtec will definitely be a more tunable engine, but not as unique as the f20c1. The changes are still moving away from the original concept of the S that's all.

Is change bad= no
does change promote evolution=yes
does change come at expenses= yes
should change affect quality or tradition?
Old 09-01-2003, 08:28 AM

No, thanks. I don't want a 350Z and I probably won't buy an '04.

I am just observing that some aspects of the current S2000, such as its torque and handling on rough surfaces, have been remarked as deficiencies even by owners unreservedly enthusiastic about the overall package. The changes can be seen as a sellout to marketing, or they can be seen as an honest effort by Honda to make the car better. You seem predisposed to advance the less charitable interpretation.

An 8500 redline is still nothing to sneer at.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:30 AM

love the redline, love the handling, love the look, love the rarity of the car, love the speed, LOVE THE CAR!!!! I for one am not happy that they are changing it at all. As for the torque issue, I am putting in 4.77's to give the feeling of more torque.