S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

how come dealers can

Old 10-10-2001, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to remember that MSRP is manufacturers SUGGESTED retail price. So, they can sell the S2000 for whatever the market is bearing. Honda does not get any of this money, the dealership does. So, the extra money that they make pays for the nice trip to the Grand Caymens for the dealership's owner and his family, probably a nice bonus for the top salesman and things like that.

Kirk
Old 10-10-2001, 08:08 AM

Rant-

Major pet peeve of mine - we as consumers are only willing to look at the micro - ourselves. Prices are determined by supply AND demand. Mnfgs and supply chains dictate the supply, guess who dictates the demand??? I'm fortunate in this area to pick up my S for MSRP (which is actually too high due to my own rant here), but had to shop around and wait. These cars were selling over MSRP up until this summer, and many dealers are still doing so. I refused to pay the additional, well, enough others must have also because the price came down.

We aren't powerless on these issues. We have all the power as consumers yet refuse to exercise it due to the "me, me, me" sentiment that is so pervasive.

If you don't want the dealer to make the extra $5k, don't pay it. Simple enough.

Thanks for the rant.

Chaz01

BTW-you're close enough to Mass. Come get one here for under MSRP.
Old 10-10-2001, 08:33 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chaz01
[B]Rant-

Old 10-10-2001, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because people still buy them at inflated prices.
Old 10-10-2001, 08:58 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by s2kkid
[B]i look at it that the manufacturer put a window price of 32,740.
Old 10-10-2001, 11:42 AM

But there was an issue with the dealers selling them for way over MSRP for awhile. Honda of America told dealers that if they continued to sell them for more than MSRP they would change the allocations and not give them as many. The allocation was based on sales for that dealer, the more they sold the more they S2K's they got.

When I went to a local dealer they wanted 3-4k over MSRP. I went to another dealer and they sold at MSRP. They weren't going to get the color I wanted but a week later they called me back and said they had a re-allocation due to a dealer charging above MSRP and i put my deposit down for it.

So it may be true that some dealers sell them for what they want to but Honda has control of this based on allocation.
Old 10-10-2001, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by SloPoke

Of course if they weren't allowed to sell it for more (or less) they would be guilty of price fixing which is in violation of free trade and ant-trust laws...
I think that price fixing has to do with groups of suppliers getting together and artificially adjusting the price.

It is also unfair to single out car dealerships with any of this. If the car is worth $32,740 to you then buy it. If it is worth more then pay more.
Old 10-10-2001, 11:54 AM

I've heard that Mercedes & Porsche dealers are not allow to sell
over MSRP... Is that true?
Old 10-10-2001, 12:02 PM

JT-KGY, that is NOT true. See my post above about MB dealers selling 500 coupes at 40k over! Besides that, legally the manufacturers cannot control what a dealer sells a car for, whether it's over or under MSRP. They can frown on it, discourage it, etc. BUT they can't make them not do it. To do so would be against federal law.
Old 10-10-2001, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by andrewewing
JT-KGY, that is NOT true. See my post above about MB dealers selling 500 coupes at 40k over! Besides that, legally the manufacturers cannot control what a dealer sells a car for, whether it's over or under MSRP. They can frown on it, discourage it, etc. BUT they can't make them not do it. To do so would be against federal law.
Hmm... I got that from mbworld.org a bit earlier.. I think most of
them are buying C32 AMG at MSRP...
And why is it illegal for car makers to put such restriction??.. It
could be part of the requirement that makers have for being a
dealer right? Sort like the franchise thing... I mean, Joe Blow can't
just decide to be a Honda dealer one day at his own home
without proper location and staff right?

Quick Reply: how come dealers can