S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How do you get away without a front plate?

Old 08-01-2013, 06:42 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Fly under the radar.

Mild mods
Stock exhaust
50 something guy with gray hair
Not driving like an idiot
I exercise the car, but pick the time and place to avoid attention

I brought mine home from the dealership with out a front plate 10 years ago. The plate mount is still wrapped in plastic in my garage.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:49 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Conedodger
Fly under the radar.

Mild mods
Stock exhaust
50 something guy with gray hair
Not driving like an idiot
I exercise the car, but pick the time and place to avoid attention

I brought mine home from the dealership with out a front plate 10 years ago. The plate mount is still wrapped in plastic in my garage.
Two types of people in the World, smooth people, and nervous and jerky folks.
You my friend, are in the former group.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me, cops don't even bother to look at my car without a front license plate. But I promise you this... LA parking enforcement SUCKS! I was staying in LA right next to USC for about 2 years. Parking enforcement would literally stake out my car and write me tickets whenever they could find my car around the area, no matter where I parked. It came to the point where they would look at the due dates on my tickets and whenever it was 1 day past my due day they would write me another. I got about 12 tickets. I'm sorry but I am not gonna drill holes in my expensive bumper. I moved back to OC and never even had a problem. My whole life I've never had front plates on any of my cars and it's only in LA that I have a problem and only when I'm parked. Kinda ironic seeing how LA is such a rich city, they literally charge for everything and anything. But yet it's so dirty and ghetto with the most terrible paved roads in the world. There is no excuse for that... Where does all our money go? Instead of fighting crime, stopping drug trafficking and gang violence (cant tell u how many times I was interviewed for news with murders on campus) they choose to turn a blind eye to rather make profit off exhaust tickets, license plate tickets and the latter. This is what our tax dollars pay for people. Un-educated law enforcement that's completely corrupted and doesn't give 2 shits about their job. As long as they have job security (which cops get away with anything) they can care less. America is a business people not a country. Built off blood and lies.

Sorry if I offend people, but traveling the world opens up your eyes to how corrupt it is here. Un-fortunately money is what does the REAL talk here.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my experience it's just luck. I had gone for a whole year without being pulled over for it and then BAM there was a whole month where troopers pulled me over 3 different times. I thought well maybe I can keep going lol, so I am still running without it and hope to keep it that way.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Living in Virginia, I had no front plate for 8 years in my Toyota Tacoma. Then I got pulled over a week before I moved to California and luckily got off with a warning. He pulled me over solely regarding the plate, as far as I could tell.

I run a front plate on the S2k here in No. Cal. My wife and I cruise wine county a lot, and the police there are very quick to pull people over. For me, it's not worth having another thing to worry about at this point in life, especially over a trivial vanity issue (OK, I mounted the plate on the grill, so it's not as bad to look at).
Old 08-01-2013, 08:14 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

A few ways.

Luck.
Politeness when pulled over.
More luck.

I've been without a front plate since 1999. Never gotten a ticket for it. (And I've gotten a few tickets for expired inspection that I'd simply forgotten about.) Only once have I ever been pulled over specifically for no front plate - that was in the BMW, in a small town, with the wife driving, and the state highway patrol (not local police or sheriff) let us go with a warning. (It helped that the back seat was stuffed with cargo - including two cats - as we in the process of moving out of state. The trooper simply wished us safe travels to our new home.)

Now that we're in a different state that requires a front plate, I'm not sure what we'll do once we register them in-state. I don't have a feel on how strict they are about it. Seems most cars here have a front plate, maybe only 1% to 5% don't. Perhaps I'll stay rear-plate only until/if I get a ticket.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:50 AM
Community Organizer

Received 552 Likes on 504 Posts

I had 2 random encounters with the law in the 9 years without a front plate on this car, neither involved a ticket. One time a cop pulled up next to me wile we were doing about 40mph, he is yelling out his window asking were my front plate was. All I could do was shrug my shoulders and give him a smile and thumbs up when he said "Well get it on there!" The other time was when I was getting out of my car from just parking and a Meter Maid was near by and told me she could give me a ticket if she wanted to. Cool babe, you like your job?
Old 08-01-2013, 08:52 AM

Received 192 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by F20AP1
For me, cops don't even bother to look at my car without a front license plate. But I promise you this... (snip of long-winded rant about taxes, roads, murder, and "blood and lies")
Excellent example of how to stray waaaaaaaaayyyyy off topic.

Originally Posted by 2Kaputnik
I run a front plate on the S2k here in No. Cal. My wife and I cruise wine county a lot, and the police there are very quick to pull people over. For me, it's not worth having another thing to worry about at this point in life, especially over a trivial vanity issue (OK, I mounted the plate on the grill, so it's not as bad to look at).
Pretty much that is how it has gotten for me. I don't need to give them any additional reason to bother me. Plus, I lead in the EOM Drive so I'm already a target with a line of S2000s and other sportscars following behind me every month. It would be ludicrous for me to not have my front plate knowing that a line up of cars following me in the canyon is not only going to make me a focal point for LE, but also because it would be incredibly rude for the host of a drive to ignore a simply correctable issue like a front plate knowing that it has the potential to inconvenience the entire group waiting for me while I get my silly fix-it ticket.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Luck of the draw. Most of us do not "get away with it." Most of us have gotten tickets for it at some point or another. I went for several years with my Miatas running no plates with no issues (well, ONE ticket in one of my Miatas), but that has not been the case more recently and with my S.

Yes, they *do* pull you over for it, leastwise in the LA area they do. I've gotten fix it tickets near LAX, in Beverly Hills, and the Santa Monica mountains/canyons. I finally got tired of it and mounted my plate with one of those hide away brackets so I can slide it under when I get to a meet where I don't want the plate marring the look of the nose of the car. Ninety percent of the time, I have it fully displayed.

Also, parking enforcement can ticket you for no front plate too, so it isn't just a matter of getting pulled over for it. You risk it even when parked on a public street or public parking lot.

PS If a cop is looking for a reason to pull someone over while driving in the canyons, no front plate is an excellent one for them to use. The last two EOM Drives, we had two drivers ticketed for no plate.
do you have a link to your hide away plate?
Old 08-01-2013, 12:00 PM

Received 192 Likes on 101 Posts

There are a few different versions out there. Just google "hide away license plate." There are caveats to mounting it. It does sit lower than the lip of the car so it can and does, on occasion, drag/scrape. When tucked under, it can also drag. I've got a few scrapes on my plate because of that. If you have a front lip, forget mounting it under the lip. It will sit too low and probably get ripped clean off over the first good speed bump.

Personally, if I had it to do over, I would do what this guy did:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToINfqwH4es

Quick Reply: How do you get away without a front plate?